2014 Kifaru Nomad

Jager

WKR
Well it seems like a good area to carry a larger light opbject like a sleeping bag. I want to avoid the pack getting really wide, that seems awkward to me. That empty spot looks like a perfect spot?

Sounds like a pretty good plan JQ.

trdhunter

WKR
Not to get too off topic, but Im putting a plan together and pricing things out. What is the benefits to composite stays over aluminum? I would assume I would need a standard shape. What is the weight difference between composite and aluminum? Thanks.

Shrek

WKR
Composite is lighter while the aluminum is custom bendable. If the standard bend fits you well I would go composite but the aluminum has you covered period. I would see if there is someone near with a composite stayed frame to try.

7mag.

WKR
Would you have had room to pack a shelter and clothes for a couple of days, the way you had it packed in the last video? It looked like you had some more room in those pockets.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Would you have had room to pack a shelter and clothes for a couple of days, the way you had it packed in the last video? It looked like you had some more room in those pockets.

Yes, I had a lot of room left in the pockets.

aion2come

WKR
I've always like bat wing designs such as the badlands 2800. But one thing I like was that I could unzip the pockets with the zipper going longways (easier to load/unload ... and then the compressions straps didn't go over the zipper so you could get into those pockets quite easily. I realize that you lose some compression on the wings themselves and only would have it on whatever was in the center, but I would make that trade for the easier access. My 2 cents.

Question, is the camp bag waterproof?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've always like bat wing designs such as the badlands 2800. But one thing I like was that I could unzip the pockets with the zipper going longways (easier to load/unload ... and then the compressions straps didn't go over the zipper so you could get into those pockets quite easily. I realize that you lose some compression on the wings themselves and only would have it on whatever was in the center, but I would make that trade for the easier access. My 2 cents.

Question, is the camp bag waterproof?

Badlands had a lot of wings rip off doing it that way. We also needed the compression straps to go back all the way to the frame....if you don't, carrying heavy loads won't be as comfortable.

Its like my dreams have came true. I loved my horn hunter full curl frame with the bat wings. Loved the versatility. Now I get the same concept with a custom fit, bomb proof frame. FINALLY.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Aron, is Kifaru phasing out its multicam? I see a bunch of that stuff discounted on the site. Just wondering if the Nomad will be available in multicam?

We're offering multicam web with all multicam packs for 2014. The stuff that's discontinued is in brown webbing.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
What would be the best way to pack a full load of meat + camp with the nomad? Stuff the meat in the camp bag with the gear? Or sandwich the meat between the frame and camp bag, held together with the wings? Or put the meat at the bottom of the frame held by the grab-it, with the camp bag above it secured by the wings?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What would be the best way to pack a full load of meat + camp with the nomad? Stuff the meat in the camp bag with the gear? Or sandwich the meat between the frame and camp bag, held together with the wings? Or put the meat at the bottom of the frame held by the grab-it, with the camp bag above it secured by the wings?

Doing video on that now....

Scoot

WKR
The Nomad looks pretty bad ass! If I put all of my stuff in the batwings minus my tent, sleeping bag, pad, a 90% jacket, and a rain jacket (Cabela's space rainsuit- top and bottom), and food for a week, what would be the best/smallest/lightest bag I could use for the bag that goes between the batwings? The camp bag seems too big for this- I shouldn't need much more than 4800 cc's total, so I don't need anything as big as that for just the middle compartment. I'm guessing something close to 2800-3000 cc's would be the ticket. What would work well for this?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any dry sack would work fine. I'm editing a video now with an Outdoor Research dry sack between the wings.