2015 Idaho Spring Black Bear

OP
I
slow start but the first bear of the season has arrived

He's not much, but he is a bear. He has hit the bait twice now, both times at night and he didn't stay long. He ate what food was already on the ground and scattered around. The nightguard2000 kept him out of the barrel both nights so hopefully he returns and figures out that daylight hours have more accessible food.

This is the longest I've gone in this area before getting a hit and I have a theory. In past years I never used a fully closed lid on my barrel, always a half lid. I think that by using a full lid I'm not getting as much scent dispersal as I would normally. I've got to get out and catch more carp and find a source of cooking grease from one of the local restaurants. I'll make some inquiries tomorrow and hit the bait on Monday or Tuesday after work to get some smelly stuff out.

I hiked about a 5 mile loop up an adjacent canyon and stopped to glass at several locations hoping to for the chance to stalk a bear but only ever spotted a couple deer.

I've only got another 3 weeks to get a bear before work commitments will prevent me from hunting so I've got to make something happen soon, hopefully the carp and some cooking grease will speed things up.

Attachments

• MFDC2625.jpg
    MFDC2625.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Nick,

not to detract from this thread but have you used any of the other scents from james valley? I just recieved my two bottles of knock out and bruin buster paste along with some sweet tooth. Once knock out lure was put out how long of a reaction time are you seeing till bears start hitting? we are not planning on actually hunting over a bait pile but plan to use said lure to draw bears into our area.

Thanks

I have only used the Knock Out on every bait I start, it has worked very well. I have no doubt it will lure in bears from a long ways away. Don't get it on your clothes or hands! I am sure the others are just as good, but the propane smell of knock out is extremely strong.

Last year we had two new baits get very active within 4 days and another new bait within 13 days. Prior years, new baits were hit within a week and as long as there is food there, it seems more bears show up throughout the season.

Just my take on it. Best of luck.

OP
I
Sorry for the lack of updates. Due to a combination of work and the opportunity to go on a spot and stalk hunt last week I haven't made it out to my baitsite in almost 2 weeks.

The spot and stalk hunt into central Idaho was successful although my tags went unfilled. My friend killed a 6 foot boar on the first day during our first 20 minutes of hunting, unfortunately it would prove to be the only bear we would see.

I'm going out to check the baitsite tonight, hopefully some bears have come around during my absence and are still in the area. However, with only 10 days left in the season and only 4 of which that I can hunt it isn't looking good.

OP
I
I may still have a chance. At last nights check I found that at least 2 bears are on the bait. The starting hitting it very recently. The hit on Tuesday at 6:00PM, Wednesday at 3:00AM (at which time they broke my camera so I don't know any details beyond that). However, since the nightguard keeps them out of the bait after dark they would have had to be on the bait during shooting hours on Wednesday during the day or thursday morning to clean out the barrel. The camera was on the ground and still functions but the plastic d-loops that are used to strap it to the tree were broken. I just put the strap around the front to hold it on for now. This is the first time in 7 years that bear has damaged one of my cameras, but now I'm going to build a bear box for it.

I am going back out tonight to check again and I might chose to sit the stand depending on what I see or I may wait until tomorrow. Despite my increased hours scheduled for work next week I may still be able to get out and hunt a couple evenings for the last 2-3 hours of daylight.

OP
I
Well the season ended without getting my hands on the primary ingredient for my bear bratwurst sausages. During the last week of the season I checked the sight to find that 2 bears had hit the bait during 3 of the previous 4 days and so I was determined to find the time to hunt. I was working long hours but managed to get out on the next to last day. The camera told me that the bears were still hitting the bait often but my 4 hour sit yielded no result. I appreciate everyone who followed along this season, hopefully I can do it again next year with better results.

My final thoughts on the season are a little mixed. We had a very early and very rainy spring here and I suspect that may have affected the distribution of the bears. Whereas I normally have to snowshoe into my baitsite for the first couple weeks, the ground was bare long before the season began. Even so I would have expected more bears to be on the bait. I think the competition with other baiters in the area got the better of me. I know of 2 other hunters who operated multiple baitsites in the area. With so many options the bear weren't ever consistent enough to expect a good chance. I know the hunters and they also reported sporadic bear activity this spring. I've decided it may be time to locate a backup baitsite in case there is as much competition next year.

The Nightguard made it the entire season without needing a battery charge. When I placed the barrel in April the battery had about 75% charge and was still functioning on June 6th when I last visited. It did the job it was designed to do and prevented bears from accessing the bait during the night. It also kept other bait robbers out, a pair of racoons and a skunk were constantly trying to steal bait during the night and were unable to get much. This is a good thing because it saves all the food for the bears. The bears that did hit the bait were forced to come during daylight hours unfortunately I was not there to greet them.

I have developed a new strategy that I will try with the nightguard next year. I will leave the door open until bears start to hit the bait and associate the barrel with food. Only then will I turn the automatic door on and begin to lock them out at night. That way a bear whose first visit is at night won't leave thinking that food isn't available and not return. In an area where no one else is baiting I don't think this would be an issue but when the bears have other options I think they might choose the easiest source.

I'kk be headed out to collect all my gear in a couple days and if there are any interesting photos to share of bears I'll post them up, otherwise thans again for following along.