2015 Sheep Gear Lists

Shuffles are lighter than a recharger. You use them when you are slogging on the glaciers. Where I hunt you have to go 15 miles a stretch on ice. It is easier just running a shuffle till it runs out of juice and swapping to another one. I use to run two ipod nanos but I have just switched to shuffles.

Hmmm that's interesting I'd never though to do that. How many full charges (on an iphone I assume?) can you get from one shuffle?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm that's interesting I'd never though to do that. How many full charges (on an iphone I assume?) can you get from one shuffle?

My guess is he just listens to a shuffle until the battery runs dead, then switches to the second and third ones so he doesn't have to carry a recharge source. Kind of brilliant actually. I had considered carrying a shuffle or nano, but since Luke and I both often listen to audio books together and we find using one set of headphones annoying....we usually just bring an iPhone and conserve battery or haul the battery pack depending on the trip.

Even 3 shuffles would be way lighter... Smart idea Thomas. And glad the crampons are staying ;)

I'd assumed he was insinuating that he used the ipods as a charging source to recharge phones, cameras, etc. but now that I think about it ipods don't act as current sources and also the cord ends wouldn't match up right. Brain fart on my end :eek:

deadwolf

WKR
Here we are...

KUIU Super Down hooded jacket
KUIU Chugach Rain Jacket
KUIU Chugach Rain Pants
KUIU Attack pants
KUIU web belt
Arc’teryx Naga Hoody
OR Ferossi hoody
First Lite merino base layers
2 Patagonia chonies
Koflach Degre boots
3 pairs Darn Tough merino socks
Lucky T-shirt & light shorts (for sleeping in)
Sunglasses (cannot forget!)
2 Liter Platypus, 1 liter Vapur w/filter, 32oz Gatorade bottle
SG Sky 7400 with meat bag
Tag bags
Petzl headlamp w/extra AAA’s
KOA bone saw
Havalon Piranta w/ extra blades
2 Bic lighters and 1 windproof, Vaseline cotton balls
30’ of 2mm dyneema cord
Ditty Bag (toothbrush and paste, TP, baby wipes, Med Kit, moleskin)
5 pairs rubber gloves
2 big trash bags
OR fleece gloves
Mechanix gloves
Sitka gear beanie
MLD cuben Duomid
REI Kilo plus 0 degree bag
Borah Bivy
Nemo Airlite 25L pad
Black Diamond Alpine Carbon trekking poles
Leatherman Charge TTi
Strider SMF folder
Tyvek groundsheet 3x7
Vortex Viper HD spotter
Vortex Viper HD 10x42 Binos
Leupold TBR1000i rangerfinder
Slik Sprint mini II tripod
Jetboil and Snowpeak lite along with fuel
Snowpeak 700ml mug
Toaks 800ml pot
Iridium 9505a
Compass and Map
Garmin Rino 650
License and tag
Camera
Paperback book
iPhone and headphones….for audiobook
Kimber Montana .300 WM topped w/Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP
12 .300 WM cartridges
Food and coffee for 12 days!

Last edited:

deadwolf

WKR
I have individual weights for everything in a spreadsheet, obviously some of the items on the list will be worn in rotation and not in the pack all the time. I added the GPS in there as well. I'm right around #30-32 not including food and water. Will be substantially lighter than in years past I know that. I've done quite a bit of swapping out for lighter gear this year!

sheldon

FNG
Item Description Weight - oz Weight - lbs
Hunting Pack Stone glacier Sky 7400 123.2oz 4.1 lb
Gun Tikka T3 300 wsm with Swarovski 3-10x42 and tally rings/bases 116.8oz 8.3 lb
Food 8 days lunch and dinners with breakfasts 137.6oz 10.6 lb
Tent Ti Goat 7.5 with titanium stove 162.24oz 6.5 lb
Spotting scope Swarovski CT 85 with cabon fiber tripod 82.08oz 5.13.6 lb
Binoculars Zeiss conquest 15x45 21.9oz 1.36lb
Sleeping Bag Big Agnes Moon hill 33.92oz 2.12lb
Sleeping pad Thermarest Neoair and foam pad 20 oz 1.2lb
Stove Jet boil sol titanium personal with 3 cans fuel 2 plates and cutlery 31oz 1.93lb
Camo Sitkka downpour lite pant/ jacket, kelvin pant / jacket 84.48oz 5.28lb
Camera Panasonic lumix HD w/ batteries 16oz 1. lb
salt 1 box Salt 35.2oz 2.2 lb
knives victorinox paring and Havalon Piranta Skinning Knife with 12 blades 0.6oz .037lb
Water Aluminum water bottle 1.5 L full 35.2oz 2.2lb
liner Sea to Summit Thermal Reactor (15°) 8.5oz .53lb
Range Finder Swarovski 1500 yard 13.65oz .853lb
Misc Clothes socks (3), underware( 5), t shirt (3) 20oz 1.25 lb
1st aid kit Bandaids, matches, tylenol tabs, toridol tabs 0.35oz .0218lb
Saw what a saw with meat blade and 2 wood blades 19.2oz 1.2 lb
Headlamp Saint minimus w/batteries head lamp 3.4oz .212lb

Rope - 20 ft General use and tying items onto pack 0.3oz .187 lb

Toilet Paper baby wipes 1 plastic box, can also let these dry to save weight 8.6oz .537 lb

Can split weight between two guys ie tent stove, food
Total 952 59.50 lb

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
Reminds me of my first backpack sheep hunt in the Chugach back in the "80's. Guide came to my tent to compare gear and eliminate any duplicates. He made me leave my little Case pocket knife in base camp. He was right!

wyosteve

WKR
My how things have changed/progressed. My first backpack sheep hunt in '86, my pack weighed 70 lbs. Second one in '92 I was thrilled to get it down to 45 lbs. Those weights include food, but no water. My 'training pack' for last year's hunt weighed 40 which felt like a feather!

deadwolf

WKR
Eight years ago I took off on a solo sheep hunt with an old Cabelas guide frame pack, 11 lb rifle, big heavy tent, and lots of "extras" I thought I couldn't live without. After three days my body was a wreck, and i pretty much suffered through ten days of hunting. As I get older I find that I have to force myself to be in better shape than ever, and I have no problem spending money on light durable gear. I leave the extras behind and take only what's needed while staying safe. Hopefully the only "suffering" I'll do now is on the pack out.

Here's my list for a solo, 7 day hunt, of just my pack and what's in it. So, not including my binos, Swaro 10X42 EL range which I carry on my chest, BD CF trekking poles, and what I'm wearing when I go in (Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX boots, Attack pants/Kuiu belt, Kuiu gaters, Kuiu 210 merino zip tee, Kuiu cap, ect.

SG Terminus pack
Kimber Montana .300wsm/Swaro Z6 2.5-15X44
HMG Ultamid 2/pole/stakes
Ti goat Kestrel bivy
EE Enigma quilt
Xtherm 72" length pad
2-pair Darn Tough socks
1-pair Under Armor underwear
1 Kuiu 210 merino zip tee
1-Kuiu zip off merino pants
1-Kuiu down jacket
1-Kuiu down pants
1-Kuiu Spindrift jacket
2-fleece hats (Kuiu vias and OR windstopper)
1-pr. Kuiu guide gloves
Knee pads
pillow stuff sack
Kuiu Chugach pants/jacket
camp shoes
Swaro spotter 20-60X80 HD
CF Manfrotto tripod
pack rain cover
water filter
2-Kestrel knives (skinner and caper) and sharpener
3L full water bladder
2-1L empty spare water bladders
Headlamp/spare batteries
GPS/spare batteries
Bear fence/spare batteries
7 days food
First aide kit
Emergency bivy
Toiletries
Phone Skope
iphone
Gun bearer
Jet boil/spoon/fuel canister
2-TAG bags
3-Dry bags
Sunglasses
kahtoola microspikes

Total wt. is right about 50 lbs. If I'm going with a partner I can shave about 10 lbs. with sharing of items like; shelter, tripod, spotter, bear fence, etc.

Last edited:

Bighorse

WKR
Sans tarp or tent

Going without tarp or tent eh Troutbum? I've done it too. Just be sure of your atmospheric conditions before departure. Looks like a fine list of the latest and greatest equipment. You've worked hard to earn it I'm sure. Best wishes for an energetic and exciting sheep hunt.

Floorguy

WKR
Going without tarp or tent eh Troutbum? I've done it too. Just be sure of your atmospheric conditions before departure. Looks like a fine list of the latest and greatest equipment. You've worked hard to earn it I'm sure. Best wishes for an energetic and exciting sheep hunt.
I think the HMG Ultramid on his list is his shelter

Ha,ha, not me. The thought of just a bivy has crossed my mind before but I'm just not man enough for that. I do have some serious respect for the guy's that can tackle mountain hunts up here with just a bivy for their shelter though. I'd like to think that I'm just too old for that kind of stuff but, the reality is, I've always been just too old for that kind of stuff.:)

bcimport

WKR
SG Solo
EE Dry down 0 degree quilt
Neo Air Short
Gutless Akto with Footprint
FF Down Vest
GT Coat
Event Pants
Cat Food Stove
TI Pot
TI Spork
Mountain Money
GPS
SPOT
Wool Toque
Fleece Gloves
Neoprene Gloves
Spare pair socks
Down Booties
12x50 Razors with Tripod Mount
Outdoorsman Med Tripod
20-60x85 Razor
Knife
Game Bags
Cord
First Aid Kit

Right now all in with food I'm under 40#'s with water. Doesn't include 7.5# for the rifle.

325 wsm

FNG
Trying to remember the last time I carried a pack that weighed under 70 lbs up the mountain.
Guess as I start getting older I will stop bringing apples, oranges, garlic sausage, cheese, books and whiskey.
On second thought I would rather leave the tripod then the whiskey.

Trying to remember the last time I carried a pack that weighed under 70 lbs up the mountain.
Guess as I start getting older I will stop bringing apples, oranges, garlic sausage, cheese, books and whiskey.
On second thought I would rather leave the tripod then the whiskey.

I was just about ready to have a problem with this until I read your last sentence.

325 wsm

FNG
Spent a few nights in bivys over the years. I call them beareatos as I always imagine how happy a bear would be walking up on me and ……
too much of a sense of defencelessness for this guy

Last year left the jetboil at home and brought a wood stove for cooking and heat. Also left the whiskey at home and brought an iPad air with sat. photos and maps as well as a few books down loaded on it. I think I'll run the same this year.
72c9eebfb23cb30e16aa64ba6ddf2c60_zpsbpyj1jkd.jpg

In my younger days I used to sheep hunt solo using just a bivy. Had a wolverine walk up on me 5 yards away in the middle of the night, made for a little excitement. These days I like having certain creature comforts and a tent fits that category. And whiskey :)