2015 Sheep Gear Lists

pgk

FNG
I copy/pasted this from excel and it's sorted so a bit mixed up. 9 day NWT resident sheep/bou hunt going this sunday! Can't get here fast enough!

Kuiu Icon 7000
Mtn Hardwear Skyledge 2.1 w/12 stakes + wires
North Face Cats Meow
MSR Reactor 1.7L (base camp)
F/A Kit
Siltarp
Glasses kit
Fuel
Pocket Rocket / Snow Peak Ti / Lighter (pack)
NeoAir Xlite
Headlamp
Simms Contender Jacket
Wool sweater
Socks (5x darn tough 3x smartwool)
Patagonia R3 bottoms
Mtn Hardwear Piero pants
OR Ferrosi pants
Kuiu Chugach pants
Kuiu Chugach jacket
Icebreaker merino baselayer
Sage Kanektok shirt
Kuiu Superdown Hooded Jacket
Arcteryx Rampart shorts
Chocolate/granola/trailmix/jerky
Mtn House Propak 135g x 8
Mtn House Reg 150g x 4
Honey Stingers
Wilderness Athlete
Water 2 x 1L Nalgene + 1x 500mL
Rem 700 custom 300sav
12x .300sav 130gr ttsx
Nikon D40 18-200mm
Leupold GR 12-40x60 spotter
Slik Sprint Mini
Samsung camcorder
T.A.G. BOMB Bags
Meat dry sack
Black diamond hiking poles
Leupold Rx1000i TBR
Garmin GPS 60cx
Swingblaze
SPOT
Salt
Havalon
Spare batts

Total weight is around 70# but that's including a full load of water and more food than necessary, but we are flying in and not hiking so I'm not planning to carry it all. Hunt/spike out weight is about 45# with a full load of water.

JP100

WKR
no offence guys but some of you are packing in books,ipods,two stoves and spare shoes?
do you like a heavy pack or what!!!
top tip you dont need an ipod or a book to survive, wear your boots in camp. saved alot of weight allready

kaboku68

WKR
I think that the last guy has a base camp where he has heavier gear to hunt caribou and then a more light weight set up for his sheep hunt.

1 comfort item like an ipod shuffle can keep you from punching out your sheep partner when you are stuck in a teeny mountaineering tent in a snowstorm for multiple days. A lot of folks will take a cheap paperback book and use the parts that they have read as butt wipe or firestarter.

That being said most hunters can keep their pack weight under 55lbs.

pgk

FNG
Both stoves in my list combined weigh less than my nikon, and water and salt make up 10# by themselves. If we had to move everything to a new base camp I'd be packing about 60# but theres a good bit of food weight in there, im a big snacker. I also have more and heavier clothing than I probably need but lots of warm clothing is almost a safety item for me. As long as i can stay warm i can keep my mental game up. Books and other tech i agree, dont need that stuff. If im not glassing hiking or eating, im sleeping. Like i said my bivy out/hunt pack weight is about 40-45# and I've been training with 60.

JP100

WKR
Both stoves in my list combined weigh less than my nikon, and water and salt make up 10# by themselves. If we had to move everything to a new base camp I'd be packing about 60# but theres a good bit of food weight in there, im a big snacker. I also have more and heavier clothing than I probably need but lots of warm clothing is almost a safety item for me. As long as i can stay warm i can keep my mental game up. Books and other tech i agree, dont need that stuff. If im not glassing hiking or eating, im sleeping. Like i said my bivy out/hunt pack weight is about 40-45# and I've been training with 60.

if your getting flown into a base camp it makes sense to take a few extras but some guys on here are making it awfully hard taking extra stuff they dont need.
Ive spend days in tiny tents in bad weather and im still sane..............(kind of haha)

Stid2677

WKR
Loaded and ready I weighted in at 158 and my son 159, his pack 64 mine 45.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21438481317.745012.jpg

Good luck Steve, hope you and your son have a wonderful trip. Is the 45 pounds with your rifle and food? That's a great weight either way.

Stid2677

WKR
Good luck Steve, hope you and your son have a wonderful trip. Is the 45 pounds with your rifle and food? That's a great weight either way.

Those are pack weights with food, no water, rifle or optics.

This one will be special as for us it will be a passing of the torch, time for me to let others share the passion. I will still try to draw a tag, but this will most likely be one of my last OTC sheep hunts.

Good luck, fair skies and heavy packs to all. Zach and I roll in the am for a couple weeks closer to heaven.

KClark

WKR
Best of luck and hold center. Please take lots of pics for us stuck in the lowlands.

I'll be rolling in the AM as well Steve, slated to fly the following day. Have a safe and memorable trip. Be sure to post up your hunt report with those super photos you take too when you return.

mwhamm

FNG
I'm heading out on Saturday. Guess it's time to get my pack worked up. Lol. Getting excited.

Here's a photo of my final gear list for a 7 day walk in bighorn hunt. I'm 61lbs all in, including rifle, binos and water. My partner will be carrying either my spotter or the shelter so I'll drop a couple of pounds from that.

2273a5f46b61f37e60658983ceb09f30_zpsl44wipse.jpg

Snyd

WKR
Here's a photo of my final gear list for a 7 day walk in bighorn hunt. I'm 61lbs all in, including rifle, binos and water. My partner will be carrying either my spotter or the shelter so I'll drop a couple of pounds from that.

2273a5f46b61f37e60658983ceb09f30_zpsl44wipse.jpg

Levergun for sheep! Cool! Tell us about the rifle/caliber and load.

I cut a tag on a bighorn last year so here in Alberta that means I can't buy a tag this year so I'm just going in with a friend to try and help him get one and pack it out. I'm basically just the mule and bear watch.😎 My lever gun is a 450 Marlin 1895G shooting 350gr factory Hornady ammo.