2016 Bucks

Here are a couple bucks I was able to Harvest in the 2016 hunting season. These are both backcountry DIY OTC.

Attachments

• IMG_2990.jpg
    IMG_2990.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_3018.jpg
    IMG_3018.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3020.jpg
    IMG_3020.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 295
OP
BasinBuster
This was rifle hunting 7mm RUM. The smaller one was at 50 yards. The bigger buck was at 435 yards.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always nice to see photos! but...........................................how bout a story to go along?

Randy

OP
BasinBuster
This last fall I went two days before season to do some scouting. The first day I found a buck that was about a 150" three point and a 20" wide 4 point with impressive mass. So the second day I went into a different area. I located 7 bucks that day with one mega buck. The next morning was opening day and I found myself hiking in three hours to my perch before light . Right after daylight I located a nice four point near where I had seen the giant 4 point the day before. So I watched for another 30 minutes and never located the herd of four that had the best buck in it. With other guys coming in from below I new I had about 30 minutes to make a play before they would blow this buck out. So I made a stalk but the buck was gone. So I worked down the ridge until I ran into a herd of three of the bucks from the day before. A really wide buck had me spotted and was giving me the stare down. This by far would have been the widest buck I have shot but all I could see was from the throat patch up. At 165 yards. So I took a knee when he turned his head and looked over the other two bucks. I could not see the mega buck. But I picked the biggest in the herd( 175-180 four point) and shot. I hit a rock bluff I front of him and they all dispeared. While standing there in dis belief . The smaller four point pictured came running at me and stopped about 50 yards in front of me. So I dropped him. I spent the rest of that day and part of the next getting him out.
And for the second buck. This is a buck I wanted to hunt the year before. But I ran into a guy that said he was hunting this buck so I left. So this year I went in and glassed the area for a few hours. Then this buck fed out right in front of me at 435 yards. So I was able to lay down and take all the time I needed. The shot was true. And I packed half out that day and the other half out the next day. This is my best buck to date.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Congratulations on two nice bucks and thanks for posting up the stories to go along with them.