2016 CA Muley

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I put in for a guaranteed draw in X3B this year with a couple buddies, together we had 4 tags. I had hunted this zone once before, 4 years ago, so I was a bit familiar with it. But the first time hunting it I felt like I spent more time driving checking out spots than I did actually hunting, and after my buddy crashed his truck on the 5th day we called it quits, he shot a small buck and ate tag soup that year.

Fast forward four years later I had enough points to draw again and was ready to hunt some different country. I decided I wanted to focus my efforts in the wilderness area as I had seen bucks in there before and there would hopefully be less people. My three other friends didn't share the same ideas, so I decided I'd go it alone.

After lots of internet searching and my prior experience years earlier I picked an area and convinced my wife to join me on a short backpacking trip over labor day weekend. X3B is in the furthest North Eastern part of CA, so it's about a 6.5 hour drive, after getting a late start Friday after work we didn't quite make it to our destination. We opted to pull over and camp some where before Alturas that night and drive the rest of the way to the trail head on Saturday. After arriving at the trail head Saturday morning, we packed our gear and hit the trail. The weather was perfect sunny and warm. We hiked in wearing t-shirts and shorts and made it to the spot I wanted to check out, about 5.5 miles in, we set up camp and got settled in. As the afternoon rolled on so did the fog, the basin I was glassing was pretty well socked in before the sun went down and I'd only seen three deer, non were bucks.

It got cold that night and I heard what I thought were rain drops on the tent. I got up in the middle of the night to drag our packs under the tent only to find snow, not rain. We woke up to a couple inches of snow on the ground the next morning. It was a little cold, but we were pretty well prepared. Definitely didn't think we'd see snow after the weather we had the day before, but at 8000 feet weather can do strange things.

The snow had stopped early in the morning but the fog was thick, we opted to head out and see if the fog would clear. After making it back to the trail head we decided we'd drive around to check out a few other spots. After not seeing many deer, we called the trip and headed home.

OP
C

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I was a bit discouraged and almost thought about just eating tag soup this year. I was running short on vacation time from work, and after a really crappy year with family stuff I just wasn't motivated to hunt. My wife convinced I should go, so Wednesday night after the opening weekend I headed up to the same trail head we set out from, this time with a good friend who didn't have a tag, but was going to help me pack out a deer if I needed it. We hit the trail early Thursday morning and made it a short way in and set up camp in the first basin, we immediately bumped a group of 6 does and fawns, so things were already looking better than my scouting trip.

We sat and glassed the basin from our camp from 9am until 2pm and only turned up two more does. My buddy was going to take a nap and I headed up the ridge to glass the next basin. As I hiked in I bumped a doe down a finger ridge and made note to check it out on the way back down. After hiking a few miles up the ridge and glassing I wasn't seeing much, so I headed back down hill to check out that ridge I'd seen the doe earlier. As I crept through a patch of timber I cut some fresh tracks and followed them into the juniper. As i walked a little further I started seeing even more fresh sign, just then a deer jumped up and ran down hill from me, but I didn't see him. I finally caught movement as he passed a small drainage, there ended up being 3 bucks. They all held up on top of the next ridge, they hadn't seen me so they stopped to try and figure out what I was. One buck was small fork, the second buck was a decently wide fork but he had no tine length, and the third buck was standing in front of the other two and I couldn't quite see what kind of rack he had.

I finally dropped my pack to get a good rest and ranged the deer at 189 yards. The first two bucks I wasn't really interested in, but the third deer finally made his way above the other two and gave me a good lock at his rack, I knew instantly I was going to take him. He circled above the other two deer and stopped slightly quartering away. I sent a round from my .30-06 and he bucked and began to run with the other bucks in tow. He piled up after maybe ten or twenty yards, he was done. The other two bucks just wandered around not sure what to do. I waited about 15 minutes and made my way over to him and found him right where I last saw him. Snapped a couple pics, and called my buddy on the radio to give me a hand. I got him gutted and once my buddy got down to me we drug to a juniper where I could hang him and got to work.

He was a beautiful buck, and boy was he big compared to the blacktails I'm used to shooting. We got him boned out right at dark and headed back to camp. It was only about 1.5 miles back to camp, but We had a pretty good uphill climb to get back onto the main ridge. Once back at camp we ate a little food and turned in, we'd pack him and the rest of camp out in the morning.

We slept in a bit the following morning, packed camp, and made the trek out. From camp back to the truck it's pretty much all down hill so it wasn't too bad. My buddy carried some of my supplies while I packed the meat. It's likely it would have taken me two trips if I didn't have his help. I went from almost eating tag soup to shooting my best buck in a matter of days, I was pretty pumped to say the least, but now that it's over I'm sort of bummed it ended so quickly.

Sorry for the long post, but hope you all enjoyed reading it.

OP
C

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, it was a great hunt, definitely one to remember.

Calbuck, I think it's a decent zone, but everyone says it's going down hill. I talked to a lot of people that hunted the more popular areas and it didn't sound like many bucks were being seen.

Of the guys in my party, one shot a small 3 point and the other two ate their tags. I may look to hunt other zones that might be closer and allow more time for scouting. 6.5-7 hours of driving one way makes it tough. We'll see in a couple years, I'll probably end up back there since I know the area a bit more than others.

CaseyU

WKR
Nice job! That's a great buck. Way to say persistent

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MT_Archer

FNG
Nice work Chad! Way to stick with it!

BTW: How did you guys manage a dog on the hunt? I really want to bring my dog along, but am worried he'd get in the way or spook game.

OP
C

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work Chad! Way to stick with it!

BTW: How did you guys manage a dog on the hunt? I really want to bring my dog along, but am worried he'd get in the way or spook game.

The dog belongs to my buddy, he's a blue healer. He regularly hunts pigs with him and although he has pretty bad manners, he hunts well and minds good. He has serious separation anxiety, so he won't go to for from his dad. If he jumps an animal, he might chase it, but as soon as he realizes you're not following he comes back pretty quick.

This hunt I spent most of my time glassing, so it's not that much of worry scaring anything off. If I were actively hunting or stalking, I'd leave him at camp. Although he does do pretty good on pigs and Blacktail that like to stay hidden when you might walk right past.

Also, I think this particular dog relies more on sight of the animal rather than scent. If there's a deer near by and he doesn't see it, he won't actively search them out.

There are definitely pluses and minuses to bringing them along, I think you just have to try it out. They're definitely a nice companion when your deep in the wilderness alone.

MT_Archer

FNG
Thanks for the reply. I have a big goofy 70lb goldendoodle who's not much good at hunting anything besides his kibble, lol.

But you're right. Deep in the woods, man's best friend has the ability to increase morale and keep you hunting.

Heck of a buck! Way to stick it out and fill your tag. I've thought about hunting that zone a few times but haven't put in for it. A friend of mine hunted it this year and wasn't seeing anything but little bucks.

Chad, that zone brings back a lot of fond memories. Congratulations on a nice hunt and a fine animal!

Brianb3

WKR
The cape on that deer is really cool. Thanks for the share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chorpie

FNG
Nice job! My brother and I hunted X3B this year as well and all we saw were doe across four days...