2017 CO Early Rifle Deer Hunt - Opinions

Jimss

WKR
One thing no one has mentioned is that the bucks tend to drop into the trees once they shed their velvet. This generally happens pretty eaerly in Sept. Bucks also tend to hit the trees after the first snowstorm. Similar to other posts above I'd recommend the earlier the better. Once bucks drop into the trees they can be nearly impossible to find. If you are hunting an OTC elk unit there will likely be a lot more hunting pressure closer to the elk rut.

There is also an incredible amount of country in those early season hunts with relatively low number of animals. It usually takes a lot of boot leather to locate the few pockets of bucks available. Most of it is steep, remote, nasty country at 9,000+ elevation so it's pretty tough to breath...especially if you are coming from sea level! There is generally a lot more logistic and other stuff involved with those early hunts than people realize. With that said, it's some of the prettiest country on our planet and there are some nice bucks if you can find them. Like everything else, if you are willing to put in the time you will likely be rewarded.

Bar

Banned
The DOW defines 10,000ft as above timberline? That wouldn't be my definition. 10,000ft is still deep timber.

fishslap

WKR
The DOW defines 10,000ft as above timberline? That wouldn't be my definition. 10,000ft is still deep timber.

They don't. The hunts are defined as early rifle hunts which take place at "high" elevation. Most are defined by either above timberline or within wilderness areas. I think a few specifically say above 10k. I wouldn't do one of these hunts unless I had a few years of scouting to pattern the bucks around the time of the hunt.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
"I wouldn't do one of these hunts unless I had a few years of scouting to pattern the bucks around the time of the hunt."...

Good advice, albeit very hard for a lot of folks....