2019 Western Oregon General season 5 point blacktail

ace4

FNG
I never did get a good photo showing off all the points, but heres my 2019 harvest. I've only ever gotten forks before this year so I was very excited. It is a real 5x5 with eye guards. I haven't done any measurements of even really know how to, but I've always been in it for the meat anyways.
I harvested him Tuesday 10.2.2019 on some farmland we rent for grass seed. We saw dozens of deer during planting season so I just set up prone and was watching the does for a couple of hours when this big boy popped out. He was out a further than I usually get them, but I scooped him up and took the shot. He dropped, let out a yelp and I followed up with a neck shot. I stepped off the distance and it was roughly 210 yards. Initial shot landed right behind the front shoulder, a little low. Second shot destroyed the trachea. The first shot ended up taking out the liver and and a some of the lungs. I'm not sure how he was around for long after that first shot. I was using my 180 grain 30-06 elk rounds since I forgot to buy more deer ammo before the season. The round, however, perform flawlessly, and I even ended up finding the bullet in the hide. His carcus was 130 pounds without head, hide or, guts. I'm excited for dinner this fall and winter!
4238095e1a0634af9bd3ef615c938f7d.jpg
0237116a3016be853cac1a45e75dbfed.jpg
38a097ee09b59e5a0b3b77b469a8edf3.jpg
33b1f861b39a7f5701dbe1513f562ed7.jpg

b5e998af9a26eee7428a5cf21c562ac7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A

ace4

FNG
Lol the deer. Sweet buck man.
You should have caped it out. I bet you could have sold the cape. It's a nice one.
Haha I actually had to look up throat patch, I've never heard that before. I've got the full cape sitting in the walk in with the head attached still. I usually prefer euro mounts so that's what I was thinking, but it almost seems a shame with how nice he is. What would someone want just the cape for?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Haha I actually had to look up throat patch, I've never heard that before. I've got the full cape sitting in the walk in with the head attached still. I usually prefer euro mounts so that's what I was thinking, but it almost seems a shame with how nice he is. What would someone want just the cape for?

I'd take it to a local taxidermist see if he wants to buy it. Let him skin the face.

Ohh let's say they hacked there cape. Or it spoiled and the hair slipped.
Or they have a ratty old mount from there grandpa they wanna redo. Or there 1st deer they didn't have mounted. Or the taxidermist lost theres.

I think about $200 is the rate if it was capped out correctly for a mount.

OP
A

ace4

FNG
I'd take it to a local taxidermist see if he wants to buy it. Let him skin the face.

Ohh let's say they hacked there cape. Or it spoiled and the hair slipped.
Or they have a ratty old mount from there grandpa they wanna redo. Or there 1st deer they didn't have mounted. Or the taxidermist lost theres.

I think about $200 is the rate if it was capped out correctly for a mount.
Oh, that makes sense. Thanks, I wouldn't have thought to do that myself.