2022 Blacktail Bucks

Heck yeah Mike, good for her! Awesome buck and a really cool story!
Thanks buddy! Hope you guys are doing well, you archery hunting deer this year?

I’m really looking forward to late season, but it’s killing me not having a rifle tag… one of my favorite things to do is pick apart country behind glass looking for that white snout or chocolate hide through the brush, but watching a dark horned buck appear out of thin air with a bow in hand is pretty awesome too

TripleJ

WKR
Thanks buddy! Hope you guys are doing well, you archery hunting deer this year?

I’m really looking forward to late season, but it’s killing me not having a rifle tag… one of my favorite things to do is pick apart country behind glass looking for that white snout or chocolate hide through the brush, but watching a dark horned buck appear out of thin air with a bow in hand is pretty awesome too
Yeah I’ll be hunting late archery here in a few weeks. Looking forward to it, I’ve hardly hunted this year so far.

fc647043d12fd48df27eac46abb0ab69.jpg

Coastal range Oregon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc647043d12fd48df27eac46abb0ab69.jpg

Coastal range Oregon

Super unique rack! Got some mass on him

Good morning scouting for archery season coming up, stud 4pt with a 3.5yr old high potential 3pt on a doe… would have seemed too easy this morning had we been hunting

Attachments

• 7A4829D5-521D-4407-96E8-D03245266974.jpg
    7A4829D5-521D-4407-96E8-D03245266974.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 150
1d0896fae90def21857a0d3161157a52.jpg

I apologize I misspoke, it goes through the 10th not the 13th. It’s was proposed at the September commission meeting along with the rest of the 2023 regs.
Those western oregon dates are a damn shame if they pass. The population is already way down AND people are shooting spike deer now. Won’t be but a few more years and public land will be barron. We hunters need to wake up! Just because they say we can ….doesn’t mean we should.

Those western oregon dates are a damn shame if they pass. The population is already way down AND people are shooting spike deer now. Won’t be but a few more years and public land will be barron. We hunters need to wake up! Just because they say we can ….doesn’t mean we should.
It makes absolutely no sense… it should go the other way, I don’t know what they are trying to do.

I love this state, but the writing is on the wall that I won’t live here much longer, fishing and hunting has always been my only recreation, and I feel the organization that is supposed to maintain that is becoming more incompetent at a steady rate… I would like to see rifle season end earlier, and start late archery earlier, relieve some of the rifle season pressure, and not allow rifle hunting through the very most vulnerable timeframe for bucks.

Isn’t the whole concept of different weapon seasons to let hunters use more advantageous weapons during times when they are harder to kill and less advantageous weapons when they are easier to hunt?

In 2024 are we going to see rifle elk season the last week of September? That seems to fit their illogical trends.

It’s so dumb, and I can’t imagine how they came to this decision.

This isn’t coming from someone who selfishly wants a better archery season, I have rifle hunted deer 7 of the last 10 years, I just want to see a hunt able population of blacktail in the future.

My main question is why? I can’t imagine a logical reason to push rifle deer season further into November… if we had an overpopulation of blacktail, it would make sense, but as it is, nothing that odfw has done in regards to blacktail makes any sense at all the past few years.

Will it be fun rifle hunting deer until November 10? Of course, but that excitement seems very short sighted… unfortunately, many hunters probably support the decision, which is disappointing… they will probably be the first to bitch when everything goes to a draw and it’s hard to find a buck.

Last edited:

landis07

FNG
Oregon looks like it’s going to be as poorly ran as Washington. In Washington I’d like to see a east side or west side deer tags and a 2 point minimum on blacktail . East side deer closes a week before Westside and the last week here sees a lot of hunters whacking spikes

View attachment 469664
I couldn’t be more proud of my wife. We spotted this guy 800 yards away and she put the sneak in down a hillside she didn’t want to walk down lol. We got 150 yard shot and she dropped him.
Perfect!! That’s awesome, and I can relate to your sentiments, congrats to both of you, and her for killing a really nice buck!

May just be the picture angle, but he looks pretty dang big bodied too, great day in the woods!

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
thank you. He was a very nice body size. There was a bit of ground shrinkage I really thought he was bigger lol. But the lady is happy that is all that matters to me. She has been on a roll. Her success rate is way better then mine hahaha.

She has been on a roll. Her success rate is way better then mine hahaha.
That’s how to do it, all of the meat ends up in the household, placing their success ahead of your own is how you get them addicted to hunting, I assume my wife fill the tags she gets over me, it’s still extremely satisfying for us, and it keeps them wanting to go…. They get to shoot the critters you would have and they don’t have to pack meat (in my case anyway 😂)

I have always preferred hunting solo, but if I have a choice now, I would rather hunt with my wife. Congrats again, like seeing youth and the ladies hunting, and more so, successful