2022 Blacktail Bucks

I think most people who hunt blacktails would agree. They are the most challenging, frustrating and addicting animal I’ve ever hunted. At the end of each season, after they’ve beat me up, I already can’t wait for the next season.

Sounds like you have a great spot. I have no doubts you’ll be posting a smoker for us to admire next season 😜
i absolutely love chasing roosies with a bow, but in terms of pursuit only (not putting meat quantity in the equation) chasing blacktail with any weapon is my favorite, for several reasons, but for one, i just don't get sick of seeing blacktail bucks.... even glassing up a little fork buck never gets old.

as much as i chase them, and as many really good bucks i have been fortunate enough to see, glassing up a little forky is still a good day in the woods, they are just cool and beautiful animals that live in beautiful places, and as much as i have learned about blacktail bucks, they are still incredibly mysterious to me, and killing a mature buck is always a very satisfying accomplishment regardless of weapon.... i of course expect to kill a mature buck every year, whether it happens or not, but it's always still surreal walking up to one and putting your hands on that unique rack.

my season starts tomorrow, and it's more anticipated than any hunt.... don't have the time i would like right now, but i'm looking forward to the time i do have, and have some good bucks i have recently seen in my little bit of scouting. they are just fun to chase, and just an encounter is an exciting thought.... worry about running an arrow through them when i get to that point.

i think the only more challenging hunt in this state is killing a lion on purpose, blacktail are #2 for sure

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I think most people who hunt blacktails would agree. They are the most challenging, frustrating and addicting animal I’ve ever hunted. At the end of each season, after they’ve beat me up, I already can’t wait for the next season.

Sounds like you have a great spot. I have no doubts you’ll be posting a smoker for us to admire next season 😜

You too! I get tempted to do muzzleloader for horn huntin next year, This guy is a friend of a friend and his book is ' the blacktail bible'. Highly recommend it to even well seasoned blacktail hunters. https://www.scotthaugen.com/shop/trophy-blacktails-the-science-of-the-hunt/

I know some local guys who shot a buck a few weeks back and while it was in the staggering stage a cougar came out of the bushes and took it down. And then they shot the cougar! The best part is they have it on video. I will post the link once they have it public. Right now they are trying to sell it.

If we dont do something about the cougars in my area we wont have any deer left. And now we have some wolves, aka black coyotes, that have been seen this year.

Rogue Bay

WKR
i absolutely love chasing roosies with a bow, but in terms of pursuit only (not putting meat quantity in the equation) chasing blacktail with any weapon is my favorite, for several reasons, but for one, i just don't get sick of seeing blacktail bucks.... even glassing up a little fork buck never gets old.

as much as i chase them, and as many really good bucks i have been fortunate enough to see, glassing up a little forky is still a good day in the woods, they are just cool and beautiful animals that live in beautiful places, and as much as i have learned about blacktail bucks, they are still incredibly mysterious to me, and killing a mature buck is always a very satisfying accomplishment regardless of weapon.... i of course expect to kill a mature buck every year, whether it happens or not, but it's always still surreal walking up to one and putting your hands on that unique rack.

my season starts tomorrow, and it's more anticipated than any hunt.... don't have the time i would like right now, but i'm looking forward to the time i do have, and have some good bucks i have recently seen in my little bit of scouting. they are just fun to chase, and just an encounter is an exciting thought.... worry about running an arrow through them when i get to that point.

i think the only more challenging hunt in this state is killing a lion on purpose, blacktail are #2 for sure
I couldn’t agree more. This morning I saw a buck with about 2” spikes and I admired him for a solid 5 minutes. They’re just incredible animals. I have shot my share of mule deer and whitetails, but have forsaken all deer hunting (at least in-state) except blacktails.

I’ve committed to just hunting for mature blacktail bucks the last couple of years and, while frustrating, have had the best seasons of my hunting career. Harvesting a large bodied, mature blacktail is the pinnacle of hunting for me.

I’m sitting on 19 preference points for elk because I am so reluctant to give up any of deer season 🤒

Rogue Bay

WKR
You too! I get tempted to do muzzleloader for horn huntin next year, This guy is a friend of a friend and his book is ' the blacktail bible'. Highly recommend it to even well seasoned blacktail hunters. https://www.scotthaugen.com/shop/trophy-blacktails-the-science-of-the-hunt/

I know some local guys who shot a buck a few weeks back and while it was in the staggering stage a cougar came out of the bushes and took it down. And then they shot the cougar! The best part is they have it on video. I will post the link once they have it public. Right now they are trying to sell it.

If we dont do something about the cougars in my area we wont have any deer left. And now we have some wolves, aka black coyotes, that have been seen this year.
I’ve been asking for that book at Christmas time for two years now! Guess I’m going to have to just buy it myself 🤣.

We must live pretty close to one another. I saw that cougar and the buck you’re talking about. Absolutely crazy! I don’t know if you could ask for a better day of hunting than that!

hikenhunt

WKR
Well played! How did it go down?
I had actually heard him fighting the day before in the timber but didn't catch up with them that day. I went back in the next day with a set of antlers and did several setups that morning, being as patient as I could in the 40 degree rain. No response, and at about noon I had to leave. I was battling in my head whether to come back here or try elsewhere. I decided to hunt back to the car so I was rattling every once in a while. I spotted him coming up a small draw before he saw me. He saw my movement as I drew my gun, but was partially obscured by a tree. Once he stepped out from behind the tree, which was likely to get a better look at me, I took the shot at 46 yards. It was very fortunate, I couldn't believe it worked out like it did!

Last edited:

Rogue Bay

WKR
Jus
I had actually heard him fighting the day before in the timber but didn't catch up with them that day. I went back in the next day with a set of antlers and did several setups that morning, being as patient as I could in the 40 degree rain. No response, and at about noon I had to leave. I was battling in my head whether to come back here or try elsewhere. I decided to hunt back to the car so I was rattling every once in a while. I spotted him coming up a small draw before he saw me. He saw my movement as I drew, but was partially obscured by a tree. Once he stepped out from behind the tree, which was likely to get a better look at me, I took the shot at 46 yards. It was very fortunate, I couldn't believe it worked out like it did!
Just goes to show it can happen any time at any place! Way to be persistent and not give up when most people (me anyway) would have just marched back to the truck.

When I shot my buck this season I had given up and was walking (not hunting) back. I got about 60 yards from my pickup and realized there was a great buck standing right in front of my truck!

Congrats on a beautiful buck!

JasonWi

WKR
Killed this buck yesterday. I’ve never seen him before and he came in chasing a doe. Shot him under 20 yards.

This was the second biggest buck I saw this season and my primer didn’t go off on Sunday on the giant! I about puked when the bigger buck just stood there.

I’m beyond thankful for this buck as he’s my biggest BT ever. They are such an addicting animal to pursue

Attachments

• 2B038733-1A79-46F5-83A0-E6ACDE398CE1.jpeg
    2B038733-1A79-46F5-83A0-E6ACDE398CE1.jpeg
    552.1 KB · Views: 145

Or.hunter

WKR
Daughter had a Oregon Youth tag. Was able to capitalize on this guy opening morning.
a382d54ea84b3481c037d8766a2689c9.jpg

0c9db00cdc2c4c3fcd100e57758fbcbd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk