2023 Caribou Hunt with Arctic Air

Gary Colbath was not in Kotzebue the night before our hunt and we had our pre hunt meeting with Russ Meyer and Kyle Hanson. Russ and Kyle went over all of the pertinent information regarding the hunt and when they were done I asked Kyle about downloading some maps on Onx. Kyle pointed out an area on the border of 26 in the mountains where he thought we would go and I downloaded a couple higher resolution maps.

After what seemed like a shorter than expected flight of 38 minutes (it was shown on the planes gps) we landed at our campsite and I opened Onx and immediately knew we had been garholed. We were nowhere near the maps I had downloaded. We were 30 miles south of unit 26. We spent 4 days camped on the Wulik river SW of the Red Dog Mine. We didn't see any other hunters and only found a couple piles of dried caribou scat as evidence there had ever been a caribou in this area. However, we did glass trucks driving on the mine road. We could have driven to and walked into this spot. On our way to a glassing spot east of camp we came across a piece of rebar driven into the ground. I checked Onx and it showed we were now on land owned by ALASKA NATIVE ALLOTMENT. We had only walked 1.8 miles from camp and now we were unsure if we were legal to be hunting this property.

We requested to be moved on day 3 and did not receive a response.

On day 4 we again requested to be moved and Gary said "let me check to see where you are" We immediately sent our location and were moved that afternoon. We were only moved 22 miles to the NW and still not into the mountains where we later learned most of the successful hunts were conducted. There was a camp flown in a mile south of us on the second day at the new location. Still we had no caribou sightings.

After being flown out we were waiting around the connex for the van to take us to the hotel and Gary was wandering around with a cup of coffee. My buddy who knew who Gary was said to him - "Hey Gary, would you like to introduce yourself to a couple of your clients?" The guy couldn't even be bothered to introduce himself without prodding. Then he made excuses as to how we could go all week without a caribou sighting. That the hunt locations were determined by the pilots who seemed to base their opinions on landing strip access and ancient trails rather than actual visual caribou sightings. We didn't see a caribou while flying in or out and we were on 4 flights! There 30 times more caribou just in the WACH than there are of all the muskox in Alaska and we saw 8 of those flying out.

Gary should never had sold more hunts than what he could reasonably manage.
Gary should have known where we were camped.
Gary should have at least provided an animal sighting before putting us in a camp.
Gary should have known the history of the animals we were hunting.

I know hunting is never guaranteed but the negligence on Gary's part was shameful at best and borderline criminal. He took a lot of money from a lot of people when he knowingly could not deliver what he was selling. I understand and can accept not tagging an animal. It is unbelievable that I did not even see a single caribou in Alaska. I would have had the same odds of success had I stayed home and hunted in my backyard.

I had read this before the hunt. I doubt Gary has.
"No collared caribou came within 12 km of the Red Dog Mine or the Delong Mountain Transportation System this monitoring year"

Akselaken

FNG
You werent at the nullevik hotel when some guys from oklahona came in where you. This sounds exactly what we were told. We felt really bad for those guys

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sorry to hear this. I’m hoping some things change, we are booked for 2025!

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
This is why I prefer air taxis who charge an hourly rate based on the amount of actual flying time vs. the "package price" that minimizes flying time to maximize profits.

Yeah, not getting/harvesting a caribou or seeing a big bull is one thing (part of hunting), but not seeing a single caribou (even from the air) seems like a joke. It's 100 percent likely you'll see one from the haul road if you drive enough. I'd be upset too. On any hunt I book I always say I don't expect to fill my tag and there are a ton of great lessons that ultimately come from failure (usually the best ones), but, I at least want to be in a general area with the species I am hunting. I can hunt elk here in Indiana and never see one. I don't expect to see tons of big bulls, but, if I'm hunting 10,000 acres of private ground and there are no elk here, I won't be happy if I'm paying 12k to be there. I'm honest about my expectations up front and make that clear. Some outfitters have been honest enough with me and I've had to cancel hunts in the last hour due to the game animals leaving the property/area. Again, I don't demand a easy hunt or success, but I do expect the game species to be around the general area (or at the very least fresh sign or evidence that the hunters the week before me saw/harvested animals etc). I would expect more than what you got for sure. It's not a cheap hunt and takes a lot of time and planning and equipment to go on that hunt. Most hunters will only go once in their life.

Curious, did you see any grizzlys or wolves or any animals at all?

Sorry to hear about your hunt!

OP
D
Yeah, not getting/harvesting a caribou or seeing a big bull is one thing (part of hunting), but not seeing a single caribou (even from the air) seems like a joke. It's 100 percent likely you'll see one from the haul road if you drive enough. I'd be upset too. On any hunt I book I always say I don't expect to fill my tag and there are a ton of great lessons that ultimately come from failure (usually the best ones), but, I at least want to be in a general area with the species I am hunting. I can hunt elk here in Indiana and never see one. I don't expect to see tons of big bulls, but, if I'm hunting 10,000 acres of private ground and there are no elk here, I won't be happy if I'm paying 12k to be there. I'm honest about my expectations up front and make that clear. Some outfitters have been honest enough with me and I've had to cancel hunts in the last hour due to the game animals leaving the property/area. Again, I don't demand a easy hunt or success, but I do expect the game species to be around the general area (or at the very least fresh sign or evidence that the hunters the week before me saw/harvested animals etc). I would expect more than what you got for sure. It's not a cheap hunt and takes a lot of time and planning and equipment to go on that hunt. Most hunters will only go once in their life.

Curious, did you see any grizzlys or wolves or any animals at all?

Sorry to hear about your hunt!
We saw 3 grizzlies. One fed on berries every day on a hill about a mile from camp. We watched one catch fish one evening 250 yards from camp. That was really neat to see.
We also saw a small bull moose and also a cow and calf.
There was a 40 yard encounter with a wolf. We were in camp and the only weapon within reach was my S&W Shield. I got one shot off and my pistol jammed. Good thing it wasn’t a bear coming at me.