2023 Idaho Spring Black Bear

What’s up everyone? I’m in east Idaho and plan on spring black bear hunting within a few hours of Idaho Falls. Any other solo guys wanting to get together and find some bears get ahold of me. This weather is finally starting to let up, let’s do some hunting 🍻

seww

WKR
You live in IF?
I'm in Iona and took a drive yesterday up to Heise along the river. Still tons of snow up there...

But I might be down for a weekend once we can get out :)

OP
michaelbechel
You live in IF?
I'm in Iona and took a drive yesterday up to Heise along the river. Still tons of snow up there...

But I might be down for a weekend once we can get out :)
Yep, I’m in IF. I was going to take a drive up around Island Park this weekend. I knows there’s a bunch of snow still up there but this weather has me itching 😂

Anyway, keep in touch, I plan on getting out a handful of times come May.

Tmann1990

Lil-Rokslider
I just moved to Rexburg this week and will be working in Ashton. Hoping to get out after bear/turkey if we can ever get a break in the snow.

OP
michaelbechel
I just moved to Rexburg this week and will be working in Ashton. Hoping to get out after bear/turkey if we can ever get a break in the snow.
know man I’m hoping this was the last bit of snow. We’ll see. Send me a PM if you want to get together and chase some bears or turkeys.

I'm in Rexburg and was up in the foothills north of Mudlake Saturday. About 2 feet of snow more than was there this time last year. Lots of elk and deer still down way low. It's melting fast though, the snow down in the BLM stretches went from 2ft to dry in just the last couple weeks. Island Park might still be a while though... just got 10 more inches at my folks place on Thursday... I might get distracted though, if the kokanee start biting.

OP
michaelbechel
I'm in Rexburg and was up in the foothills north of Mudlake Saturday. About 2 feet of snow more than was there this time last year. Lots of elk and deer still down way low. It's melting fast though, the snow down in the BLM stretches went from 2ft to dry in just the last couple weeks. Island Park might still be a while though... just got 10 more inches at my folks place on Thursday... I might get distracted though, if the kokanee start biting.
Thanks for the info! Seems like snow has been disappearing at a quick rate around here. I’m going to keep an eye on it in the next couple weeks and see what kind of hunt I can get out of this season.

seww

WKR
Went fishing out in Heise again on Sunday. The snow is melting fast on the south slopes but still sooo much left.
Crazy!
Hopefully they will start plowing the roads soon.

OP
michaelbechel
Went fishing out in Heise again on Sunday. The snow is melting fast on the south slopes but still sooo much left.
Crazy!
Hopefully they will start plowing the roads soon.
Need some good sunny days but looks like it won’t happen until next week.

OP
michaelbechel
Well today is sunny, but below freezing :)

Did you make it up to Island Park?
No, I figured it would be a waste of time until the snow really started melting. Who knows, I might get a wild hair and take a drive up there sooner.

Most of Island Park just got another 10 inches of snow late last week. Might be a while before you can get around anywhere without tracks or skis. Be careful on any "plowed" road that doesn't have pavement under it, during the warm part of the day the base gets mushy and it doesn't take much to get stuck and make a real mess of the road.

OP
michaelbechel
Most of Island Park just got another 10 inches of snow late last week. Might be a while before you can get around anywhere without tracks or skis. Be careful on any "plowed" road that doesn't have pavement under it, during the warm part of the day the base gets mushy and it doesn't take much to get stuck and make a real mess of the road.
Good info! I’ll keep all that in mind!

New to IF and looking to get into hunting out here. Got a baby due any minute now, so not sure if I can make a hunt this spring, but would possible be interested in something in the fall of next spring if you’re looking for hunting buddies

Definitely won’t be baiting this year for me. But being in Pocatello I’ll probably get out a couple times to spot and stalk.

OP
michaelbechel
New to IF and looking to get into hunting out here. Got a baby due any minute now, so not sure if I can make a hunt this spring, but would possible be interested in something in the fall of next spring if you’re looking for hunting buddies
Send me a PM if you can.