2023 Idaho Spring Black Bear

I planned on spot and stalk hunting also. What’a your reason for not baiting?
The place I go, I still can’t get up in the canyon due to snow. So I’ll figure a new area out and spot and stalk.

I live in poky but work in Hailey so I may go a day early one of these days and run around up there with the rifle

OP
michaelbechel
The place I go, I still can’t get up in the canyon due to snow. So I’ll figure a new area out and spot and stalk.

I live in poky but work in Hailey so I may go a day early one of these days and run around up there with the rifle
The snow is definitely a major factor for everyone’s plans this spring. Are you staying down that way towards poky to hunt? You ever bear hunt up north at all?

The snow is definitely a major factor for everyone’s plans this spring. Are you staying down that way towards poky to hunt? You ever bear hunt up north at all?
I’ve gone up into the pahsimeroi valley quite a few times and baited one year up there. Only problem with baiting there and living in poky is the distance to get bait in.

We’ve ran a couple good ones in years past up there though. I just started working in Hailey in September and have heard a ton of the locals comment on the bears being over populated in the area and having them in town frequently so we shall see how that pans out. I’ve been bear hunting where I elk hunt since it’s close and we’ve had luck getting them to come in.

seww

WKR
Went out yesterday, snowshoes are still a must. Thick snowpack on the Northern slopes and on the Southern slopes the snow has melted but once you gain altitude, you see more snow.
Nothing green out yet...

OP
michaelbechel
I took a drive up to Island Park yesterday and I can confirm it is still winter up there 😂 but hearing there were bear tracks in Harriman sounds like good news.

seww

WKR
I took a drive up to Island Park yesterday and I can confirm it is still winter up there 😂 but hearing there were bear tracks in Harriman sounds like good news.
Yeah this week will definitely speed up the melting and maybe next weekend will be worth going out again.

At least the Grizzlies are awake in IP. A garage was broke into last week. IDFG still trying to trap that old guy. I glassed a lone grizzly on Monday, watched him for over an hour. Awsome sight! but there is still a ton of snow up there so I wouldn't bother yet up there unless you have tracks or snow shoes. Maybe another week or two there will be enough open hillsides to make a trip worth it.

That said, if any of you eastern idaho fellas have a spot you are dying to get to but are just blocked by snow covered access roads... I've got access to a couple tracked ATVs. My boys aren't available to hunt with me much this spring until track season is over and school is out Memorial day weekend... so I'm open to teaming up with a like minded Rokslider till then. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

What’s up everyone? I’m in east Idaho and plan on spring black bear hunting within a few hours of Idaho Falls. Any other solo guys wanting to get together and find some bears get ahold of me. This weather is finally starting to let up, let’s do some hunting 🍻
I'm in IF. Looking to do some spring bear hunting asap. I've hunted Lemhi in the past and is where I plan to go next weekend. Doubt the snow is gone but will be trying the area anyway and will probably go out every weekend. Pretty eager to get out ahead of the crowd. Message me and let's set up a plan as I'm a lone hunter. Only if you are interested. Also have a tag for wolf and lion so willing to try anything.

I spent a few days in Central Idaho last week, was able to check out 20 miles of trails in the Frank Church and Selway areas. Grass was popping out and a few flowers starting to bloom between 1200 and 3000 feet elevation, but didnt cut a single bear track or pile of poo... I bet most bears wont be out at our higher East Idaho elevations for at least a few more weeks

Spent this past week up in 16, 16a, and 12. Snowline is about 5k feet. Lots of green grass. Snow still in shade patches as low as 3800ft.

Major trailheads were packed with hunters. The one we hit first, there were at least 18 rigs that came and went from the 12th-19th. Talked to guys who said there were 32 rigs at the trailhead April 20th last year. Talked to an old timer setting up a bait who has been hunting in there since 1979... said until the last couple years, it was rare to see another living soul at that particular trailhead... but it looks good on ONX and GOHUNT when E-Scouting, and talked to several hunters who said they found it because a popular youtube channel showed a bunch of bears getting killed in there over the last few years (and apparently it was an identifiable location with some landmarks shown in the video). We wasted 3 of our days in there, and after running into the 5th group of hunters leaving early because they had glassed for 3-5 days without seeing a thing... we decided it had just too much pressure and went elsewhere.

Funny thing though, with just 2 days left, we picked a couple random spots on our way home, trails without trucks at them or a bunch of people tracks from the previous week... and we turned up a couple bears. The first we weren't able to relocate the next morning, but the second we relocated and got to within 400 yards after a 2300ft climb (not easy for a 12 and 14 year old). But we ran out of time after it went into some timber, as we had an 8 hour drive ahead of us and had to be home that next day for the sitter and our younger kids. But before we left the spot, to prove he had the stuff... my 14 year old took a 405 yard shot at a white dot on a rock across the canyon from us... put his bullet less than an inch from that spot with one shot... so it would have been a dead bear if it had ever stopped moving or had come out for a clean shot in the open.

We did glass a sow and cub earlier in the week as well. Bears we saw were at 3000, 4000, and 4300 feet.

My advice for anyone going to the Lochsa or Selway or NF Clearwater country is... pick a trailhead that doesn't have trucks at it... there are literally hundreds of trailheads and accessable ridges between those three rivers... all have bears up them... but all the super hunter types will be coming in from TX, NJ, MA, etc and will all be focused on the end of the road trailheads... and guess what... the bears will either be shot before you get there or nocturnal due to pressure...