2023 New Hunting Rifle Options

jt63

FNG
Hi all,

Somewhat new member here on Rokslide and looking for opinions for a new backcountry rifle.

I’m a late onset hunter (started hunting in 2015 at the age of 23). In my first year of hunting I picked up a cheap Howa Hogue rifle in 308 at a local sporting goods store as that was what I could afford in college at the time. The rifle is an absolute tack driver, but it’s heavy. I’ve been on a few hunts out west with it and every time I get back home I tell myself "this is the year I’m going to upgrade and purchase a dedicated backcountry rifle".

Well…2023 is the ACTUAL year I’m going to buy a new rifle and I’d greatly appreciate the opinions of others to help narrow down some options.

I have the following goals in mind for this rifle:
  1. Rifle under $1750 (not including scope)
  2. Bare rifle weight between 6-7 lbs, ideally on the lighter end of that range
  3. 20”-22” length barrel (or shorter) as I have plans to start hunting with a suppressor in the future
  4. Something chambered in a caliber primarily for deer but could also be just fine on an elk hunt
Again, any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Motown

WKR
You will most likely get a lot of replies to go the Tikka route and I would also recommend the Tikka as well. I now have 6 Tikkas total and for the price they cannot be beat.

Caliber wise I think maybe sticking with a 308 would probably be best. You did not mention the distances you typically shoot, but for deer and possibly elk inside of 400-500 yards the 308 is ideal.

The tikka roughtech is a hell of a gun and comes in just at or slightly under 7 pounds bare. It doesn’t feel overly heavy and the little bit of extra weight helps to take recoil a bit more. It is also threaded as well so its ready for a suppressor when you get one.

I have a few T3X lite’s and a Roughtech and I really like the little bit of a heavier barrel contour on the Roughtech. The Roughtech will run around $1000-$1100, so it’s well under your budget and you could put the rest towards a good scope. For an optic the Trijicon Credo HX or Nightforce SHV would be great and both can be had for $1k or under.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Short action in 6 or 6.5 cm is a great compromise on cartridge characteristics. Modern bullets and understanding about killing demonstrate that the 6mm can kill elk within reason. Plenty of threads here have evidence to weigh on that point.

By this point, everyone but the oldest and most stubborn codgers have to admit that the 6.5 cm was Hornady’s insight into a new market of precision rifle. The jokes are so old they aren’t funny…

Consider a Seekins, a few hundred more gets you so much more than other factory rifles. Their quality and their guarantee means they are hard to find right now. And, also look for a gently used model.

nobody

WKR
Upgraded (read not base stainless model) Tikka T3X. Roughtech Ember, Veil Alpine (my personal favorite pattern), veil wideland. These models are all stainless (with the two veil models being cerakoted stainless), and threaded with a brake and a thread protector. Tikkas have an aftermarket support system that’s rivaled only by the 700 based platforms (though that gap seems to be narrowing), a phenomenal factory trigger, modular grip system on the factory stocks, magazines that feed ammo like a sewing machine, glassy smooth actions. They’re popular here and elsewhere for very good reason, and it’s the type of rifle that you can continuously build and upgrade and rebuild over time.

Unckebob

WKR
If you want a lightweight rifle that has all the features, Kimber offers a lot of different models in the 5lb range within your price point.

My Hunter Model (their cheapest model) in 243 is stupid accurate and easy to shoot. They have more feature rich models in in different calibers.

If I was buying a new Kimber, I would look at a Montana.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own one but I'd look at an X bolt. If you want to spend a bit more or catch one on sale, Fierce makes a nice rifle. I'd go with some version of a 6.5 or 7mm depending on availability, reloading, and recoil tolerance.

Tikka stainless, in 6mm 6.5 Creedmore or 6.5 PRC. If I were in your shoes I'd go 6.5 PRC, but I am not recoil shy. With modern bullets, there is no need to go any bigger in respect to caliber unless you plan on shooting extreme long range. There are serious advantages to a light recoiling hunting rifle.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Just to have another option than a Tikka ( excellent rifles, no question), you might consider a Savage 110 Ultralight in .308. Based on the function of my Savage rifles, I would seriously consider one were I in the market.

gtriple

WKR
@jt63 I'm going to disagree with the above. Do NOT buy a Roughtech Tikka. The "upgrades" are NOT worth the upgraded cost.

The Roughtech is $1300 MSRP.

A Lite Stainless is $880 MSRP.

Both can typically be found for less than MSRP. I find Lite Stainless for around $700 in like new condition a lot.

But a $420 difference for what? A threaded barrel? For $125, any gunsmith can do that. A muzzle brake? Well you won't need that since you want a suppressor. And the barrel is 24-26"... so you'll be stuck with a longer barrel than what you want. The stock is something you'll want to upgrade out of anyways, and the finish on the Roughtech stock is not at all worth paying more for. It's the same stock. Just spray paint your black one to however you want. The Roughtechs are really not worth the increased MSRP over the standard T3X Lite Stainless.

Buy a T3x Lite Stainless (not a Superlite) in whatever caliber (308, 6.5CM, or 6.5PRC would be my recommendations). Get a gunsmith to chop it and thread it to the at the length you desire. You can get that done for like $850 all-in.

Then take that extra $850 and go ahead and buy a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2. There's no reason to wait until you get the rifle to get the suppressor. Go ahead and get in line.

Later on, I'd recommend upgrading the stock to an ultralight chassis.

kota

FNG
I went through the exact same decision a few years ago. I was looking for a light 6.5 CM or 7-08 since I didn’t want to get pounded with recoil in a light rifle or need a break. Best advice I can give is to go handle all of them and see what fits and feels best in your hands. I looked at anlmost all the ones mentioned here except the seekins, plus a win featherweight, but ended up with the browning HC speed and have been very happy.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Savage 110 Ultralight. Under 6lbs. carbon fiber wrapped barrel. 22" THREADED barrel. All the cool kid calibers and the ol' reliables. Very accurate rifle. Some might knock it bc its a savage and not a tikka or a kimber, but who cares? Savage been slaying since the 1890s. $1649 MSRP, waaay less on the street.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Savage 110 Ultralight. Under 6lbs. carbon fiber wrapped barrel. 22" THREADED barrel. All the cool kid calibers and the ol' reliables. Very accurate rifle. Some might knock it bc its a savage and not a tikka or a kimber, but who cares? Savage been slaying since the 1890s. $1649 MSRP, waaay less on the street.
I have shot two ultralights that some buddies picked up for just over $1100 new. Other than getting a new stock, those things are nails. They are the prefits that Proof makes, and I've had several of them on Savages and my ARC actions. All the prefits I got shot really well.

I've never really had a Savage that didn't shoot. Their manufacturing is improved, I think. They still have slop and their quirks. And, the ultralight has a little more work on the action and bolt.

They really benefit from a new stock. If a guy wants to get into a gun and then upgrade it, the Savage is a nice one. The Tikka can be had for a little less, but I really like the feel of the carbon fiber barrel, and when suppressed I think they do better than typical sporter barrels once threaded.

I think for a suppressor you want at least a #3 and then get it fluted. That's my only problem with the Tikka or other options.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Buy a T3x Lite Stainless (not a Superlite) in whatever caliber (308, 6.5CM, or 6.5PRC would be my recommendations). Get a gunsmith to chop it and thread it to the at the length you desire. You can get that done for like $850 all-in.

Then take that extra $850 and go ahead and buy a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2. There's no reason to wait until you get the rifle to get the suppressor. Go ahead and get in line.

Later on, I'd recommend upgrading the stock to an ultralight chassis.

No one ever said, "I am SOOOO glad that I waited to buy a suppressor!"

Honestly, this is the absolute best suggestion you will ever get in this thread. I usually just try to answer the question without making too many suggestions of what someone should do. It always gums up threads and doesn't answer a guy's real question.

But, I agree 100000% , there is NO sense waiting to buy the suppressor. Heck, you could pick up one of the budget aluminum/titanium cans as your first one and stay under $2000 with rifle and can. I started with a budget can, and then bought a Thunderbeast Ultra 7, which is an awesome can. I like having two suppressors, and often lend it out to guys in my shooting group or hunting party, simply because I don't like their brakes!!!!

Put the suppressor in a Trust. It is the only way to do it. The major benefit it flexibility to loan it out and share it.

In fact, I often tell guys to buy a cheap rifle that is threaded and a can now. Then, upgrade the rifle later. I would rather shoot a Savage or Ruger American suppressed than an uber custom rifle with a brake. I've shot so many rifles, factory and custom. Putting your money into the suppressor right now is the best thing you could do for your shooting and hunting. It will make a bigger difference in your life than a more expensive rifle.

The single thing I would do differently, is bought a suppressor immediately after buying my first Savage in 6.5 cm.