2024 AK Moose Prep

Michigander1479

Lil-Rokslider
Thought it would be cool to start a thread of 2024 moose hunt prep for others to chime in and possibly help some new guys that are going in their first moose hunt.

The “Next Trip” is always on my mind but around this time things start getting real. Just over 6 months away and the time is flying by.

I started organizing and portioning out my food this evening that’ll go in gallon ziplock bags once I collect everything. 1 bag per day plus some stovetop and instant mashed potatoes to hopefully go with some moose tenderloin if/when we’re successful.

Also started making a to-do list of all the small things I need to gather and am going to start physical training here next week.

I have my Gear List pretty well nailed down and tweaked from previous trips with a couple things added and a couple things taken off the list. I’ve upgraded sleeping bags and am adding a designated camp pillow instead of using a dry bag stuffed with clothes.

One of my favorite quotes about Alaska…

“They all say once in a lifetime until they make it up there once, then they spend a lifetime going back”

View attachment 676667
Can you send me your gear list? I’d like to compare with mine to see if I’ve missed anything or not. [email protected]

I haven't busted out my plywood moose head since that first year. I've got my MOA measuring system down pretty good
Care to elaborate on that moa measuring system? I’m very curious. I wanted to make my own cut out of a 50” moose and put it at different distances and figure it out that way but I don’t have to area big enough to do so. Any info would be appreciated!

OP
Robinhood21
Care to elaborate on that moa measuring system? I’m very curious. I wanted to make my own cut out of a 50” moose and put it at different distances and figure it out that way but I don’t have to area big enough to do so. Any info would be appreciated!

The most accurate way I've found is to use the reticle on my rifle.

I can judge a moose to see if he's legal from 100yds all the way out to 1000 yards and I feel extremely confident in doing so. You just need to make sure you can get a very steady rest.

Examples:

Range Finder - 300 yards, Moose measures 20MOA
3 X 20 = 60" moose

Range Finder - 475 yards, Moose Measures 13.5MOA
4.75 X 13.5 = 64" moose

Range Finder - 178 yards, Moose Measures 26MOA
1.78 X 26 = 46" moose

The scope I use is a Zeiss V4 4-16X44 with a ZMOA-T30 reticle

IMG_6278.jpeg

I can judge a moose to see if he's legal from 100yds all the way out to 1000 yards and I feel extremely confident in doing so. You just need to make sure you can get a very steady rest.

Examples:

3 X 20 = 60" moose

4.75 X 13.5 = 64" moose

1.78 X 26 = 46" moose

View attachment 694414
Thanks fella, that is a good way of doing it. I’m assuming that’s on 16 power and probably a first focal plane optic? I guess it would be the same at max magnification with a first focal plane optic as it would with a second focal plane optic at max magnification.

Examples:

3 X 20 = 60" moose

4.75 X 13.5 = 64" moose

1.78 X 26 = 46" moose

View attachment 694414
I’m running a nightforce nxs 5.5-22x50 which is a FFP so my measurements will always be the same regardless of magnification witch will help huge using the MOA system not having to worry about what magnification I’m on. But I believe if you have a second focal plane optic at max magnification the measurement system should be the same value as if you were using a FFP optic at any magnification.

OP
Robinhood21
Thanks fella, that is a good way of doing it. I’m assuming that’s on 16 power and probably a first focal plane optic? I guess it would be the same at max magnification with a first focal plane optic as it would with a second focal plane optic at max magnification.
It’s actually SFP but I can measure on max magnification from 100 out. The 2 hash marks on the far edges of the reticle are 10moa apart. Far hash mark on the left to the far hash mark on the right is 60moa

It’s actually SFP but I can measure on max magnification from 100 out. The 2 hash marks on the far edges of the reticle are 10moa apart. Far hash mark on the left to the far hash mark on the right is 60moa
Ah yea I see that on your reticle picture near the bottom now that it is a SFP. I’m going to use this method. Sure makes it a lot easier to judge a moose than guessing lol

OP
Robinhood21
Ah yea I see that on your reticle picture near the bottom now that it is a SFP. I’m going to use this method. Sure makes it a lot easier to judge a moose than guessing lol
Absolutely! Way more confident. I’ve got a lot better at judging with my eyes but using the reticle will sure make me more confident with a low to mid 50s bull