2024 Cold Bore Challenge Plans

TX_Diver

WKR
I'd like to hit 2/2 (1/2 last year) and also win one of the big prizes this year lol. Regardless it was fun and I'll do it again as good practice. I will probably have a similar MER with "field" type positions but will have a rokstock instead of a KRG Bravo, otherwise utilizing same equipment and probably the same load.

Macintosh

WKR
I scouted my ass off and found a spot on national forest where I can see farther than 150 yards. Kidding, sort of, but not really. I found a big beaver meadow that hasnt grown up in alders yet, havent been there with leaves up but pretty sure I can squeak 500 yards out of it. It’s a couple hour drive, and about a mile bushwack on foot to reach it, and its off a road thats gated after its snowed in and until mud season is over, so could be as much as a 5.5mile hike to reach it depending on season. Should be opened by june depending on how wet the spring is. I’ll have to suss it out a bit, but hopeful I can use it. Otherwise there isnt anywhere I can realistically access to do the challenge.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I scouted my ass off and found a spot on national forest where I can see farther than 150 yards. Kidding, sort of, but not really. I found a big beaver meadow that hasnt grown up in alders yet, havent been there with leaves up but pretty sure I can squeak 500 yards out of it. It’s a couple hour drive, and about a mile bushwack on foot to reach it, and its off a road thats gated after its snowed in and until mud season is over, so could be as much as a 5.5mile hike to reach it depending on season. Should be opened by june depending on how wet the spring is. I’ll have to suss it out a bit, but hopeful I can use it. Otherwise there isnt anywhere I can realistically access to do the challenge.

Geeze you make me feel bad I didnt participate when I can get at my spot in less then 20 minutes from my house and shoot to 1050 yards that I can drive my truck to and drive my truck to the targets. Maybe Im spoilt.

Last edited:
OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
As I mentioned in my original post, I'm going to try to get away from using my bipod this year. One thing that's been helpful for me is the realization that what's comfortable isn't always what's "best." Some (most) shooting positions are uncomfortable, deal with it; the only thing that matters are the results.

Case in point, a bipod is much more comfortable for me compared to using a pack, but the results are similar (below). Those are 5-round groups at 25 yards with a .22lr. So if the results are similar, there's no benefit to using a bipod, only downsides (e.g., weight, added complexity to the shot process, etc.).

IMG_1513.jpeg

Last edited:

Ramem7mm

FNG
I missed this last year but want to participate this year. Any idea when official rules and dates would be released?

Hopefully they do this again. At first I thought driving 30 min up into the mountains, shooting once, and then picking up and going home was going to suck. It was actually really fun for me. Hopefully this year I can make both shots past 700 and not just one.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Hopefully they do this again. At first I thought driving 30 min up into the mountains, shooting once, and then picking up and going home was going to suck. It was actually really fun for me. Hopefully this year I can make both shots past 700 and not just one.

It is happening again. I confirmed before I started this thread.

I guess I better figure out how to post video after recording on a phone.

I’m just hoping my Rokstok is complete in time to get comfortable with it in the challenge

huntnful

WKR
I didn’t shoot it last year, because I didn’t have a rifle ready at the time. I’d like to shoot it with 2 rifles this year with an MER of 1000
under calm conditions. Cold bore from each rifle, each morning.

I’ll be shooting this rifle, as well as a 6 PRC once it’s done. Could be a humbling experience!!!

Geewhiz

WKR
I didn’t shoot it last year, because I didn’t have a rifle ready at the time. I’d like to shoot it with 2 rifles this year with an MER of 1000
under calm conditions. Cold bore from each rifle, each morning.

I’ll be shooting this rifle, as well as a 6 PRC once it’s done. Could be a humbling experience!!!

If anyone could do it, you'd be towards the top of that list!