2024 Montana Alternates list

I am a Non-resident and have applied several times to hunt Elk in Montana. I applied but didn't draw this year. I have never tried to get on the Alternates list. Could someone that has used it let me know when that option is available and what is the process? Thanks.

Is there any info on how many of these tags get issued every year?
I don't remember if I was on the deer or elk alternate list last year...but I was in the 500s last year and got the email the last week of season to buy the tag. so I'd say if you are 400 and under you have a darn good chance to get picked. 2 years before that I was just over #100 and had my tag bought well before season for elk.

I don't remember if I was on the deer or elk alternate list last year...but I was in the 500s last year and got the email the last week of season to buy the tag. so I'd say if you are 400 and under you have a darn good chance to get picked. 2 years before that I was just over #100 and had my tag bought well before season for elk.
That is quite a few more tags than I would have guessed! Pretty nice there is at least a chance you can get a tag like that if you don't get drawn.

I started at 380 last year on the elk combo list and was notified the last week of the season also. They must have gave at least 100 people the option knowing practically none would bite with such little time. I gave up on the idea by Aug last summer.

That is quite a few more tags than I would have guessed! Pretty nice there is at least a chance you can get a tag like that if you don't get drawn.
It doesn't mean that many tags were reissued...they just went through that many guys before the tag was bought. Could have been 50 tags total but if guys keep declining it. It goes to the next in line.

IMO You should get 48hrs to decide. No one needs more than that.

Back