22 Hornet for Deer

No ones saying it’s not limiting. We’re just saying it’ll kill a deer and you’re trying to argue that we think it’s a do it all deer rifle. It’s a great youth round at limited ranges within its ability. That’s all we’re saying.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Its not a lazer beam. Never will be. Hell 260+ is a hell of a poke with a 30-30. Would you say thats to light for deer?
Nope, my brother hunts the marsh with a 30-30. It has limited range, but great out to 200 in the right situation.

ElPollo

WKR
Can I see that front quarter? No offense, but as you know shooting a tiny doe with an explosive round is different than a quartering away or toward uphill shot on a mature buck at 200 yards.
Wasn’t my deer. I’m also not much of a shoulder shooter because I like to eat them. But that combo will kill mature deer quartering away or uphill as well or better than a 30/06.

Maybe give this a listen and see what you think? Might make you reconsider some of the things you think or have been told about ballistics.

If any of it makes sense, take a look at the 223 thread.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
No ones saying it’s not limiting. We’re just saying it’ll kill a deer and you’re trying to argue that we think it’s a do it all deer rifle. It’s a great youth round at limited ranges within its ability. That’s all we’re saying.
I never said those things. I never said you think it’s a do it all rifle. I agree that it can be a great youth round within strict parameters.

I have not chose the 22 Hornet. I’ve gone 6.5 cm, 308 and the like. It gives more cushion, and is still highly shootable.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
And that is different than what we are talking about with a hornet, how?
It’s very different. He shoots a bullet that’s over double the mass, greater momentum, at the same velocity, with great sectional density, and yes it flies like a football.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Is it different if the .22 leaves the same size wound channel?
It doesn’t if you use equivalent bullets. Why wouldn’t you use the equivalent bullet in the 30-30 then? Man, let me tell you… I am no lover of the 30-30.

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you killing a 300lb whitetail on the regular is the better question.
I watched multiple bucks over 300 pounds this year (both mulie and whitetail) and my Washington was around there this year. My MT bucks was closer to 250. The WA buck fed on the farm and hid in the cliffs and had 2cm of back fat on him. It was a great year for moisture and growth.