.25 Cal (Quarter Bore) / Big Game Success - 25 Creed, 25-284, 25-06, 25 PRC, 25 SAUM

khuber84

WKR
Everyone touting the 25cm is going to run 3000 fps, it'll only happen with rl26, maybe N560. Both hot dirty double based powders that are very hard on throats, expect 2k round barrel life. The 25cm is much happier mid 2800s. I've burned 2 barrels shooting 131 blackjacks, and on my second set of barrels now. Shooting 135 Bergers. I have 133s and 134 eldm too, but the 135s have been very good to me thus far. These have all been heavy contour 7tw, the two newest are 7.5. I'm in the works of doing a 25prc for hunting, and possibly a lighter contour barrel 25cm or the previously mentioned "quarter pounder" a 25cm reamer deep set +.100 headspace, I'd utilize alpha 7saw brass to keep proper neck length.

Everyone touting the 25cm is going to run 3000 fps, it'll only happen with rl26, maybe N560. Both hot dirty double based powders that are very hard on throats, expect 2k round barrel life. The 25cm is much happier mid 2800s. I've burned 2 barrels shooting 131 blackjacks, and on my second set of barrels now. Shooting 135 Bergers. I have 133s and 134 eldm too, but the 135s have been very good to me thus far. These have all been heavy contour 7tw, the two newest are 7.5. I'm in the works of doing a 25prc for hunting, and possibly a lighter contour barrel 25cm or the previously mentioned "quarter pounder" a 25cm reamer deep set +.100 headspace, I'd utilize alpha 7saw brass to keep proper neck length.
How is the 7.5 twist performing for you? I have the makings of a 25something build with 7.5 twist barrel and am trying desperately to decide on a cartridge for a final decision.

khuber84

WKR
How is the 7.5 twist performing for you? I have the makings of a 25something build with 7.5 twist barrel and am trying desperately to decide on a cartridge for a final decision.
7.5tw is plenty for the Berger bullets, I was shooting 1/3 moa at 300y yesterday, da of 1200 in 28° temps. I ran the 7tw when the blackjack first came on the scene as I was living in Arkansas at that time, I've since relocated back to Montana. If I was in say Oklahoma where freezing temps and low altitude may cause negative da in the winter, I'd prob stick with the 7tw.

7.5tw is plenty for the Berger bullets, I was shooting 1/3 moa at 300y yesterday, da of 1200 in 28° temps. I ran the 7tw when the blackjack first came on the scene as I was living in Arkansas at that time, I've since relocated back to Montana. If I was in say Oklahoma where freezing temps and low altitude may cause negative da in the winter, I'd prob stick with the 7tw.
Solid info thanks

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing

I am thinking of a 25 PRC or 25 creed for hunting as well - seeing you mention 7 SAW brass made me wonder, what about a 25 SAW? Any experience there?

khuber84

WKR
I am thinking of a 25 PRC or 25 creed for hunting as well - seeing you mention 7 SAW brass made me wonder, what about a 25 SAW? Any experience there?
West Texas Ord has done some, that I know. The case has more taper than the creed, and a long neck, designed for longer heavy 7mm bullets. The case length being 2.010 puts it at the same coal as a prc or Saum. I don't think the case capacity of the 25saw will gain you much over a standard creed. But if you deep set a creed and form 7saw in it, you'll get rid of the extra long neck, get the more aggressive creed body dimensions, and likely land around 57gr capacity, netting 3-4gr over standard 25cm, which would make 2950-3000fps likely attainable with standard powders. Now that 7saw alpha brass is OCD case head, that really changes things. I tested some ocd 65cm brass is a 20" barrel, with a stiff load of rl26, sending 156s over 2900fps(likely 75-80k psi) and pockets were still good after 5 firings at this level. I have no doubt the saw parent case can run some really high velocity for it's capacity.

Last edited:
West Texas Ord has done some, that I know. The case has more taper than the creed, and a long neck, designed for longer heavy 7mm bullets. The case length being 2.010 puts it at the same coal as a prc or Saum. I don't think the case capacity of the 25saw will gain you much over a standard creed. But if you deep set a creed and form 7saw in it, you'll get rid of the extra long neck, get the more aggressive creed body dimensions, and likely land around 57gr capacity, netting 3-4gr over standard 25cm, which would make 2950-3000fps likely attainable with standard powders. Now that 7saw alpha brass is OCD case head, that really changes things. I tested some ocd 65cm brass is a 20" barrel, with a stiff load of rl26, sending 156s over 2900fps(likely 75-80k psi) and pockets were still good after 5 firings at this level. I have no doubt the saw parent case can run some really high velocity for it's capacity.

Was that large or small primer brass?

khuber84

WKR
Was that large or small primer brass?
SRP, the alpha srp still uses large flash hole unlike Lapua using small flash hole. People have talked a lot of srp inconsistency in cold weather. We shoot long range matches in January Feb March here in Montana and N Dakota, I haven't found any problems with CCI450 in alpha or lapua brass in creed, gt or br based cases utilizing varget/H4350/H4831sc burn rates.

Great thread!! Just saw it.. I've been shooting the 25s for many years now and wondered why there seemed to be so little love for it.. I've got 3 in 25/06 that have never failed me on anything I've hunted with it.. My pride and joy though is a 3 digit serial pre-64 m70 that was originally a 257 Roberts, but converted to 257AI shortly after manufacture by P.O. Ackley himself.. I hunt with/shoot it occasionally but plan to hand it down someday to a grandson who could appreciate it for what it is and where it came from.. Good on everybody for keeping the .25s alive and kicking..

Great thread!! Just saw it.. I've been shooting the 25s for many years now and wondered why there seemed to be so little love for it.. I've got 3 in 25/06 that have never failed me on anything I've hunted with it.. My pride and joy though is a 3 digit serial pre-64 m70 that was originally a 257 Roberts, but converted to 257AI shortly after manufacture by P.O. Ackley himself.. I hunt with/shoot it occasionally but plan to hand it down someday to a grandson who could appreciate it for what it is and where it came from.. Good on everybody for keeping the .25s alive and kicking..
My 257AI is a family item as well. Started as a Ruger MKII and ended up with a new barrel and chamber.