3 bodies found in Colorado NF

grfox92

WKR
I was going to say there must be a couple every year in Wyoming that aren’t even recovered.
I've lived in Wyoming 3 years now. I 100% agree with you. I live in thick grizzly country and recreational hiking is very minimal in the National Forest. Most people are going into the NF on horses. Which means they rarely leave the trail.

Just hiking on the trails in this area and spending time off trail while hunting, I often speculate that there are large pieces of ground that haven't had people set foot on in decades. There is just so much damn country that is steep and nasty and far from any trail. If someone wanted to get off the beaten path and died while they did it I think it's likely they would be eaten and or decomposed before anyone finds them.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

WVelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I thought the same thing about Wyoming at one point.... Then, I was hunting with friends and rode horseback quite a ways back into the wildness area, probably 8ish hour ride. We set up base camp and would ride out on horseback to day hunt. We'd rode a couple hours out of base came as was set up glassing an area when in came time to drain the radiator. I walked over to some bushes and was thinking to myself "I bet no one has peed here before." I then noticed something in the bushes that I was watering....turned out to be a set of mattress springs! Not only had someone been there, they brought their full size mattress!!!

TaperPin

WKR
I've lived in Wyoming 3 years now. I 100% agree with you. I live in thick grizzly country and recreational hiking is very minimal in the National Forest. Most people are going into the NF on horses. Which means they rarely leave the trail.

Just hiking on the trails in this area and spending time off trail while hunting, I often speculate that there are large pieces of ground that haven't had people set foot on in decades. There is just so much damn country that is steep and nasty and far from any trail. If someone wanted to get off the beaten path and died while they did it I think it's likely they would be eaten and or decomposed before anyone finds them.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
In my 20s a guy on my fire crew went to Yellowstone to help recover a bear attack- an experienced backpacker with a clean camp and food properly stored - she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. As bears do, it ate the soft parts - only a very small package was left over.

The photos from that are burned into my memory and now I always check for reports of problem bears before hunting or backpacking an area.

def90

WKR
It is tragic. Most campsites in Colorado have a pretty high turnover, but to not be discovered for a year seems odd to me.

You can camp anywhere you want in National Forest and BLM land in Colorado unless there is a local ranger district restriction of some sort. So in the end there really aren't many "campsites" in Colorado unless you are in a state park or designated campground. Sounds like these people were simply camping out in the forest.

In my 20s a guy on my fire crew went to Yellowstone to help recover a bear attack- an experienced backpacker with a clean camp and food properly stored - she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. As bears do, it ate the soft parts - only a very small package was left over.

The photos from that are burned into my memory and now I always check for reports of problem bears before hunting or backpacking an area.
You don't see it so much any more, but 20-25 years ago one of the cautions regarding backpacking for females was not to go into grizzly country while having your period (menstrual cycle).

Grizzly bears have an incredible sense of smell.

ClearCreek

Heard that too long ago. And looked that up this year before the fam hit up Yellowstone - and jury was still out on that being factual. So although I believe - not sure. Still wouldn’t push that tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlee56

WKR
You don't see it so much any more, but 20-25 years ago one of the cautions regarding backpacking for females was not to go into grizzly country while having your period (menstrual cycle).

Grizzly bears have an incredible sense of smell.

ClearCreek
Heard that too long ago. And looked that up this year before the fam hit up Yellowstone - and jury was still out on that being factual. So although I believe - not sure. Still wouldn’t push that tho

My lady has spent a few years in Montana griz country as a outfitter wrangler, she says this is fake news ha

No sure honestly. I always heard that animals would stay away if it was poisoned by something natural like mushrooms or poisonous weeds etc. but they would eat on it if it was poisoned by humans (decon, etc)
Interesting; wouldn’t surprise me either way. I’m sure there are some alarming odors that an animal might stay away from, but then again, coyotes aren’t exactly discerning eaters.

Lots of squatters on public land. The new hippie trend for rainbow family and the “un housed” look at Portland for people living outside.

No one is going to report a homeless person as missing, they have been off the radar for a while. How many homeless have you seen with a car?
There are some folks who are homeless, and living in their car. Might be apples to oranges in this case though. Most people living in their car are city dwellers, not wilderness dwellers.

TSAMP

WKR
I did a backpacking trip in CO a few years back and we spotted a backpack and gear a ways off the trail. After inspection it looked like it had been out in the elements through the winter. We didn't find any ID and left it where it was. We reported the location to law enforcement when we got back and never heard any follow up. I have to say it was spooky looking around the area half expecting to find a dead body.
It was probably some dude that watched to much Meateater going in deep. Than realized what he got himself into and dropped the pack and walked out.

Laramie

WKR