3 person tent or tents for desert deer hunt

Drobert

FNG
Looking for suggestions on sleep system for three adults plus packs and boots. Hunting Idaho desert for mule deer in October and hiking in to set up a spike camp. This setup would be primarily for this unit and recreational camping during the summer.

I need something with a connected floor because I’m not keen on waking up to snakes and October hunts in this area can still see warmer temps. Should I be looking at two lightweight tents for us, or one 3-4 person tent with vestibule for gear if it rains.

I’ve looked at some of the seek outside floorless options that will be used in different country for elk hunts.
For this hunt, I’m looking for mid priced tent for this desert region-under $400. I imagine hiking in 2-5 miles for 2-3 day hunts. Maybe move camp once

One 4 person tent would probably be lightest and cheapest. With three people the extra room WILL be appreciated.

Hilleberg is great but quite expensive.

87TT

WKR
With all your gear inside, double at least what the tent says it is rated for. One person and gear= 2person tent etc. So three guys would need two three man tents or three two man tents. I would go with each have his own just so you don't kill each other.

PlanoDano

FNG
years ago I tried a "so called" 4 person backpacking tent. Seems it came in a little over eight lbs and very manageable for 3. I did not care for it and gave it away the next year. Tent was decent but I was not crazy about being that close.

Yes they better be “close” friends to share a 3 man tent 😀.

I would say get a 2 man and a 1 man backpacking tents, the 2 smallest share or the snorer gets kicked out. This will give more flexibility down the road as well. You may use the 1 man on a solo sheep hunt or something

For car camping I would just get a bigger heavy tent rated for at least double the occupancy you plan to sleep in it. A lot cheaper as well to get a heavy tent.

OP
D

Drobert

FNG
Yes they better be “close” friends to share a 3 man tent 😀.

I would say get a 2 man and a 1 man backpacking tents, the 2 smallest share or the snorer gets kicked out. This will give more flexibility down the road as well. You may use the 1 man on a solo sheep hunt or something

For car camping I would just get a bigger heavy tent rated for at least double the occupancy you plan to sleep in it. A lot cheaper as well to get a heavy tent.
This is good advice. I should have specified I’m going with my twin brother and my 15 year old son, who is taller than me already. I might just have to pick up a Cimmaron and my son can have his own tent. You have any advice for good light weight tents under $300 with a floor for the desert hunts? I’m just getting started and a floored tent most likely will not get used as much as a floorless tepee style for colder elk hunts, but I need a couple for the occasional desert hunts

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
Kelty salidas 2p for each member of your group. I think they run around $100 a pop and aren’t too heavy. Great for summer and occasional packing

OP
D

Drobert

FNG
With all your gear inside, double at least what the tent says it is rated for. One person and gear= 2person tent etc. So three guys would need two three man tents or three two man tents. I would go with each have his own just so you don't kill each other.
What do you think about two 2 person tents with vestibules for gear? I’m not sure if it would save much weight, but if the option came up on marketplace for cheaper, I’m thinking it could be an option. Not much rain in Idaho during the fall and if winters are like the last few, snow at this elevation won’t arrive until December. Hunt is in November. I’m just spitballing. Do you have any recommendations on cheaper lightweight tents with a floor?

OP
D

Drobert

FNG
Kelty salidas 2p for each member of your group. I think they run around $100 a pop and aren’t too heavy. Great for summer and occasiona packing
Thanks for the recommendation. I will look into them.

PlanoDano

FNG
Over your budget but 2Xstratospire2 would be comfortable and would make a quality tent for recreation and other hunts. I think he has them on sale for 300 now

87TT

WKR
The difference between an inexpensive tent and a high end backpacking tent is maybe a pound of weight or two. What ever you get for more than one person, make sure it has TWO doors. Nothing worse than having to climb over or be climbed over in the night. Vestibules for gear sound good but then you have to climb over your gear to get out. Best used just for boots IMO. One man tents or too claustrophobic for me. Bare minimum I think would be a three person with two doors and a two person with one door in the front like a pup tent and maybe a thin tarp to cover your excess gear.

OP
D

Drobert

FNG
The difference between an inexpensive tent and a high end backpacking tent is maybe a pound of weight or two. What ever you get for more than one person, make sure it has TWO doors. Nothing worse than having to climb over or be climbed over in the night. Vestibules for gear sound good but then you have to climb over your gear to get out. Best used just for boots IMO. One man tents or too claustrophobic for me. Bare minimum I think would be a three person with two doors and a two person with one door in the front like a pup tent and maybe a thin tarp to cover your excess gear.
That is great advice. I never even thought about why I would need a secondary door-thought it was more convenience. Your right-I don’t want to be stepping over two peoples gear to get out. I am going to look for a two man and probably a 3 with two doors. Thanks for your help

87TT

WKR
Your welcome. Unless you are getting serious about weight savings and don't mind an extra pound or a few ounces, you should be able to find what you need reasonably.

tracker12

WKR
I would think most of the Idaho desert units would have pretty good road access without having to pack in anywhere. That being said 3 guys in one tent gets pretty crowded.