30-30 Win or 350 Legend?

I’m sure they do. I don’t own one or a 30-30. Not very useful cartridges for longer range shots on elk (IMO). I have a Marlin Guide Gun 45-70 that fills the close range thick woods niche. That rifle penetrated a Kodiak bear from shoulder to hip, breaking both. If I wanted to go to something in an AR I’d go with the .458 SOCOM. Very close to the 45-70 in a Marlin.

Sorry to OP for but Wyo what bullet did you use for that brown bear? I’ve watched the damage done to black bears with the 325g Barnes X in 45-70 and often thought that would work exceedingly well on a brown.

To the OP, I would go 350 Legend in the new rifle to be legal in more states. 30-30 should be in a M94 or M99.

I was speaking toward long term availability. In 10-20 years 350 legend may have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Probably not the 30-30.
If the legislators in some.of the "straight wall cartridge" states had any sense, I'd agree with you. There really wasn't a need for a cartridge that pretty much duplicated the ballistics of the 30-30. I'm not sure why they didn't just make the 30-30 legal and let that be the end of it. Since they've come up with the straight wall wording and so many people in those states have bought into it, I'm betting the 350l and 450b will be around a while, at least until the people who write the laws understand the ability of various hunting arms and cartridges- and who knows when (or even if) that will be.

So I’ll be ordering a 350 legend barrel from matchgrade machine for my Contender with folding stock. 18.5 or 20 inch barrel?

So I’ll be ordering a 350 legend barrel from matchgrade machine for my Contender with folding stock. 18.5 or 20 inch barrel?
Not having hunted where you hunt…

I’d go with the 18.5” for tight thick woods. The 1 1/2” will not make a big enough difference in velocity to really matter. Probably 60 fps tops.

In my state of Illinois a rule change may be on the horizon in regards to straight walled cartridges as well as single shot rifles for deer hunting. If this comes to pass, I'm interested in purchasing a barrel in one of the mentioned calibers for my TC Contender with a folding stock. Which would you pick keeping in mind that in my 30 years of deer hunting only a few shots have been beyond 150 yards?
Im a 30-30 fan all the way. Here in KY theyre tried and true in thick brush. My first deer rifle!

If you are going to stick with your plan to put a barrel on a T/C Contender, you won't notice a 24" barrel at all.

I didn’t think to ask if you are going to scope it or use the iron sights. If scoped I’d go with the shorter barrel for the reason I stated above. If you aren’t going to scope it I agree with others, the longer sight radius would be a good thing.

I just ordered the barrel to complete my folding Contender rifle. I went with the 350 Legend at 20”. I’d like to thank everybody here for their thoughts and when it’s assembled I’ll post a picture or two.

Six of one, half dozen of the other… 30-30 for brush bustin for me though. However, I’m thinking the deer isn’t going to know the difference if you hit where you should.

30-30 hands down,proven deer killer and fairly easy to obtain ammo, on the other hand if it we me I would go to 450 bushmaster,

Well here is a twist in my story. I ordered a Contender 20” 350 legend barrel from a company who sells MGM barrels and they shipped me a MGM Contender 16.25” 300 blackout barrel by mistake. I messaged them and asked if they would be willing to cut me a deal on the 300 barrel so I didn’t have to return it on their dime and then to also ship me my original 350 legend purchase asap. We struck a deal and now I have 2 new MGM barrels! I’m a fan of the blackout and it has killed Illinois deer very dead for me. I’m thinking green Holosun dot on the 300 and Burris scope on the 350. Not married to this plan but those are my initial thoughts. A folded contender with a 16.25” 300 barrel sounds super easy to maneuver in a blind/tree and carry/pack.

Attachments

• B9805006-E4EC-408F-AEC2-444721CF2B64.jpeg
    B9805006-E4EC-408F-AEC2-444721CF2B64.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 12
  • BD8AC85E-5E06-4C63-A606-763A2606FC52.jpeg
    BD8AC85E-5E06-4C63-A606-763A2606FC52.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 13
Back