300 yard .22

Decker9

WKR
I ran a CZ VPT for a while with a IBI barrel. 3” exploding targets at 300 yards is a blast. Not consistent due to wind, but taught me a lot about calling wind and holding for it.

I bought it as a cheap plinker… there was nothing cheap about shooting it lol.

rclouse79

WKR
After a couple warming up shots, I can regularly hit the 300 yd gong with my open sighted 1940s single shot 22. 🤣 It is an amazing amount of holdover and Kentucky windage.
Reminds me of a funny story. My brother, friend and I took my son on his first backpacking trip and his first trip with the bb gun. After he went to bed we took turns going a long ways out and sitting away from the shooter with a puffy coat and a mad bomber hat on with the can on our head. You could either hear the bbs wizzing by your head or feel them pelting your jacket. You would yell out which way they missed after the shot. I remember a branch way up in a tree I had to aim at to get close. My buddy was the one to finally hit the can. Damn it.

Macintosh

WKR
yep, the precision rifle club I shoot with does monthly rimfire matches, 22lr only. One of the guy's family owns a dairy, they let us use one of their hayfields, so we set up steel targets there for the rimfire matches. We started off doing nrl22, but that got kind of old, so we have gravitated to PRS-style stages out to about 400 yards, which is about the longest we can shoot there and still do 8 or 10 stages. Some folks using voodoo and some of the fancyboy 22 actions, but lots of CZ's, a few tikkas, etc. I have a cz455, 30moa rail and a viper pst gen2 scope. My rifle has a longer barrel so it runs a bit slower than most, so that only gets me to about 350 yards before I need to start using the reticle for elevation. We shoot all winter, it gets cold af and blowy, lot of folks switch to biathlon ammo that time of year.

Bluumoon

WKR
Damn prarie dogs won't sit right at my 300 yard berm and too far to range accurately. Add a little wind and I'm yet to connect past 220 yards, sure is fun trying to walk them in based on impact before they figure it out.

CZ 457, Area 419 30 MOA rail, SWFA 3-15 scope. With this set up I can dial to around 425 yards.

At anything past 200 yards, wind is going to play the biggest factor.

Another big factor in precision .22 out past 300 yards is the amount of elevation in the scope. There are many good scopes that just don't have 40 MILS of elevation, once mounted depending on your set up, a scope with 40 MIL total elevation might only give you 25-30 usable MILs. So you need to take how much usable elevation you will end up with once the scope is mounted.