6.5 creedmoor vs 7mm-08 vs 25-06

codym

WKR
Both great calibers, if reloading I would say the 7mm and factory ammo the creedmoor. I like the factory offerings for the creed better and they are getting pretty cheap. Reloading the 284 opens up all sorts of options though.

Out of the three you listed I would go the 25-06. It's just a fantastic coyote, antelope, and deer killing machine. With a 110 Accubond, 115 Partition, or 120 gr. Partition it will also work very well on elk. Yes it is light but it works. I shot a spike bull with a 25-06 and a 120 gr. Partition at 350 yards. He went just a few feet and fell over. I let a young man kill his first elk with the same set-up also. It was a really nice cow at about 250 yards. One shot and she went about 50 yards and tipped over. Great performance from rifle and bullet!

My personal experience is limited to 25/06 out of those 3 rounds. But I think it's a great caliber. I shoot mine well enough that I wouldn't hesitate to elk hunt with it, but if I were going to elk hunt often I might look at a different round. I hear good things about the 6.5 but I'm not sure that it won't just turn out to be a fad like the short mags were...it's been around a while but the popularity has spiked recently. The 7mm08 is a proven round for sure and I wouldn't hesitate to use it either.

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Based off your needs, I'd be after the 6.5.

Range time, it will trump them all and it will hunt any animal a 7-08 and a 25-06 will hunt. I really like the 7-08, but anyone who says they have a greater weight of bullets has to understand that the 7-08 really starts dropping off the charts when you seat a 160g bullet in it so deep you've lost powder room. The 7-08 is really designed for the 140g world, which is where the 6.5 shines in my opinion (with a higher BC).

With that said, I shoot a 270 :)

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Great discussion. I've been looking into the 6.5 for elk but decided that when I go enough to warrant a new rifle it'll be a 308. In the mean time I use a 25-06 and after talking to some guys on here I feel this its okay for elk with the right range and shot placement. Handed loaded its a great round and have the ability to shoot anything from coyotes to elk is nice. The 25-06 is fantastic for deer and antelope and it amazes me with how flat shooting it is. I have no experience with the 6.5 to compare it too however.

OP
jrm02

jrm02

FNG
Great discussion. I've been looking into the 6.5 for elk but decided that when I go enough to warrant a new rifle it'll be a 308. In the mean time I use a 25-06 and after talking to some guys on here I feel this its okay for elk with the right range and shot placement. Handed loaded its a great round and have the ability to shoot anything from coyotes to elk is nice. The 25-06 is fantastic for deer and antelope and it amazes me with how flat shooting it is. I have no experience with the 6.5 to compare it too however.
Do you have much experience hunting coyote with the 25-06? Curious if they're fur friendly, and if so, what round you're using?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6.5 creedmoor for factory ammo..

7mm-08 if ur shooting a Standard weight rifle and you want to load ur own. Factory mag box and twist rates may not allow optimum bullet selection..

25-06 if you want a maximum point blank range setup.

Didn't see if you mention if you handload or not.... but another option is loading 130s in your 30-06... I have a load for 130 ttsx that is over 3300 fps... read that article on the 25-06 and this load seems to beat out what it can offer...

I have a 6.5 cm to go with my 30-06 tho as it's fun to have another gun :)