6.5 prc bullet/ ammo for deer inside 100 yds.

CampSmith

FNG
New here and just ordered my first bolt gun in 6.5 prc. What are most of you who are shooting 6.5 prc using for close range shots on deer out to 100 yds. I been hunting many years with other calibers that are more suited to this range. But wanted a gun chambered in a cartridge for all ranges I intend to hunt out to 400 yards plus.

140 accubonds or ballistic tips for me, but literally any bullet in any weight will work. If you're worried about meat damage, take careful aim behind the shoulders or head/neck shots.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Inside 400 yards it’s +\- ballistically identical to a 270 win. Find anything similar to the standard 270 win loads, and you’ll be walking in the footsteps of giants.
If you are worried about excessive meat damage for when you inevitably hit a shoulder, a 127-130gr mono like an LRX or TTSX will still kill like lightning at those ranges where velocity is still high, but will minimize meat damage.

OP
CampSmith

CampSmith

FNG
Not too worried about meat damage. Just never used such a small caliber and more worried about over penetration with the 6.5' bullets small frontal area. Especially with bullets that are designed to fuction at distance and lower velocities. I thoroughly understand ballistics and bullet construction. Just wondering what's been working for other hunters shooting 6.5 prc.

I've shot larger calibers and monos most of my life as well and I prefer an exit. Over penetration has never been a second thought.

IMO, A bullet that blows up a shoulder when the inevitable happens, didn't need to be chosen in the first place.

From experience as long as the bullet is expanding within its parameters, do not give a second thought to over penetration. A bullet that penetrates such as a Barnes, gives more shot angle options. The likelihood of the wound channel coinciding with the vitals is greater when shot angles are hard as the penetration allows the bullet to get there in the first place.

Informal internet search shows Natchez has the 127 gr LRX Barnes factory loads at $49 a box. Norma 140 gr looks to be around $45 a box at a number of places. IMO, choice would be a simple one with the LRX.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
Deer within 100 yards?
I'd buy the cheap Norma SP Whitetail 140gr
I agree, If you don’t reload, use whatever cheap soft point or ballistic tip ammo that shoots well. Federal fusions would be an economical all around ammo for the 6.5 prc.

KenLee

WKR
Informal internet search shows Natchez has the 127 gr LRX Barnes factory loads at $49 a box. Norma 140 gr looks to be around $45 a box at a number of places. IMO, choice would be a simple one with the LRX.
Last Norma I bought was off the ammoseek list. Don't remember the actual vendor, but were $34 a box with free shipping.

Last Norma I bought was off the ammoseek list. Don't remember the actual vendor, but were $34 a box with free shipping.
Gotcha. I did a Google search for 6.5 PRC ammo and ammoseek didn't come up. Agreed, searching ammoseek specifically, they are around $35 from various places.

A system some folks use with factory loads is get a couple boxes of the more premium ammo and pick up as many boxes of the cheap stuff as needed to use as burners for practice and brass to reload if they reload. Sight in/verify zero with the premium ammo before the season and use it for hunting. It's gonna last a long time in dedicated use.

A hunting buddy shoots his .270 Win for everything here in Colorado and swaps between different factory loads for pronghorn and deer/elk. Writes down his clicks each time he changes loads and it's an easy adjustment to get back to the other load. "Shocker", he does it effectively with his Leupold VX3i 3.5-10 (version prior to VX3HD).

Edit: Fusion would be a great option as well. Everything I've read has formed my opinion it is a very underrated bullet.

Last edited: