6.5 PRC elk loads

Did some thread searches. Didn't quite find what I was looking for.

The struggle stick isn't going so well. And with a new scope and suppressor on plan b this year it'd be kind of fun to shoot my first gun elk.

I current have a bunch of black box Hornady. But I saw scheels has Nosler LRAB. Would I be ok with the ELDX or should go get some Accubombs and see how they shoot? I do hand load but just don't have the time for it.

Don't want to get too crazy with distance on elk. Inside well inside 500 would be easy to do.

PNWGATOR

WKR

If I were in your shoes, I’d call Unknown Munitions and order some ammo.

I just got into the 6.5 PRC game. I’m going to use Norma Bondstrike for hunting. By all accounts, seems to be a quality bonded bullet. I use ELDX for the range, and it groups well. Not sure I trust it for my hunt after a lot of mixed reviews on terminal performance.

Gorp2007

WKR
If you go over to the 6.5/260 thread there's a lot of discussion on bullets. People who have put in a lot of time shooting a lot of animals all agree that the Hornady bullets in 140-143-147 and the 130 TMK are all pretty much the cat's pajamas. If you've got a bunch of the 143s and they shoot well, I'd stick with that.

I just got into the 6.5 PRC game. I’m going to use Norma Bondstrike for hunting. By all accounts, seems to be a quality bonded bullet. I use ELDX for the range, and it groups well. Not sure I trust it for my hunt after a lot of mixed reviews on terminal performance.
That's my plan, ELD-X for deer and antelope and the Norma BS for anything larger.

OP
TradLife406
Thanks guys. I've never shot an elk with a rifle... hahah kinda weird. Spent my whole life in Montana but dad was a deer killer. I've shot a ton of deer. Then a few years ago I decided to get into archery elk. It's gone great until last year. Let my buddy shoot at a 330" bull at 24 and he choked! No way for me to get a shot. Then had a bull jump the string and my perfect shot hit his shoulder. He was just fine a week later.
This year the winter kill in my usual spot was bad, mountain lions and holy heck the Midwesties took over and drove what elk remained out.

Reached out to a buddy who's a straight killer and we've teamed up to hunt his spots that have a ton of elk.

I just cant go without an elk in the freezer.

I built the gun for deer and loper never imagined I'd need it for an elk.

Yeah the ELDX is great on deer but it's super soft. But it should work if I keep it off the shoulder? Just take my time, dial the scope, use the tripod and a year support and basic rifleman skills.

Funny scheels has the Nosler ammo cheaper than the Hornady.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t worry about anything bonded, I’d just get the eld-x and use them for everything.
I’ve only shot a couple cows with a prc but I’ve killed quite a bit of stuff with the creeds, I only shoot match bullets and I can’t say I’ve ever had bullet problems.

Thanks guys. I've never shot an elk with a rifle... hahah kinda weird. Spent my whole life in Montana but dad was a deer killer. I've shot a ton of deer. Then a few years ago I decided to get into archery elk. It's gone great until last year. Let my buddy shoot at a 330" bull at 24 and he choked! No way for me to get a shot. Then had a bull jump the string and my perfect shot hit his shoulder. He was just fine a week later.
This year the winter kill in my usual spot was bad, mountain lions and holy heck the Midwesties took over and drove what elk remained out.

Reached out to a buddy who's a straight killer and we've teamed up to hunt his spots that have a ton of elk.

Yeah the ELDX is great on deer but it's super soft. But it should work if I keep it off the shoulder? Just take my time, dial the scope, use the tripod and a year support and basic rifleman skills.

I've killed about 5 or 6 bulls with a 6.5 saum, and my wife's killed 2 more with it.
I like that you're keeping shots inside 500 yards, I've stretched the 6.5 quite a bit further and almost lost a bull hit center lung.

I've used a variety of bullets and the absolute biggest POS was the 142 ABLR, they blow up at close range and don't expand well at long range.. Weirdest bullets I've used, I had the same thing happen with the 175s.

I really like the 147 ELDM for super fast kills from near to far, but you absolutely do not want to hit an elk in the shoulder with them.
I've put a 140 partition right through both shoulders of a bull at 200 yards and my wife shot one in the chest at close range with the same bullet. They are an excellent choice if you're wanting to take quartering shots through heavy bone.

Sorry to hear about the "Midwestie" invasion, they're all over the damn place in Idaho now too. They must be used to hunting on top of each other cuz they'll straight follow you up the mountain and set up 100' away..

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider

Have run the 143’s in my 6.5 PRC exclusively for the last 4 years. They’ve killed every 8 elk, mule deer, antelope, whitetails, axis and hogs, the majority of which have folded. Have not had one animal go more that 20 yards from impact except one mule deer, which was due to poor first shot. My biggest issue with the 143’s is that I’ve only ever had a pass through on whitetail does and one hog, never on a buck or any of the other animals. Always find the bullet up against offside rib/shoulder or hide. I hate not having an exit hole, but it’s the risk I’m willing to live with for watching impact and knowing it’s (usually) going where I’m aiming. Have had good luck with the bullet, but it’s not perfect.

PNWGATOR

WKR

Did you have a chance to listen to the podcast I linked above?

If so, I’m interested to hear your takeaways.

wannabemtnman

Lil-Rokslider
You've "never had one go more than 20 yards" and you're worried about an exit hole? What am I missing?
Suppose I live in that land of slight paranoia knowing it will eventually happen. There’s a reason I still use them 🤷.

Last edited:
Bondstrike shot well for me in 6.5 cm, trued out to 700, and it's nice to have Norma brass but the bloodtrails weren't that great for me on the animals I shot with the Bondstrike. I have since switched to ELDMs for more upsetting internally. Now you might be one of those guys that likes the penetration of bonded, but I've changed my tune and like the fragmenting of eldm/ELDX instead, I think the wounds are larger and more devasting. Bonded wounds feel like a arrow with a field point in a 6.5

Bondstrike shot well for me in 6.5 cm, trued out to 700, and it's nice to have Norma brass but the bloodtrails weren't that great for me on the animals I shot with the Bondstrike. I have since switched to ELDMs for more upsetting internally. Now you might be one of those guys that likes the penetration of bonded, but I've changed my tune and like the fragmenting of eldm/ELDX instead, I think the wounds are larger and more devasting. Bonded wounds feel like a arrow with a field point in a 6.5
Point well taken. I hunt cows, and meat is 100% the priority for me, so so I suppose there’s a tradeoff there. On one hand, I totally get the devastating trauma and big blood trail of an ELDX/M. On the other hand, the increased risk of blood shot meat is kind of a bummer. Food for thought - no pun intended.

Point well taken. I hunt cows, and meat is 100% the priority for me, so so I suppose there’s a tradeoff there. On one hand, I totally get the devastating trauma and big blood trail of an ELDX/M. On the other hand, the increased risk of blood shot meat is kind of a bummer. Food for thought - no pun intended.
Yea for sure there's a tradeoff. I'm usually in thick brush and am color blind so I need all the help I can get. I also shoot big expandables for archery. The bondstrikes do shoot very well

JGRaider

WKR
Bondstrike's are fantastic hunting bullets, similar in performance to the Accubond bullets which I consider to be the finest hunting bullets made. I've shot about 25 hogs with the bondstrike, and a few hundred with the accubond so I have a good number of references.

MThuntr

WKR
Right now I have 124 Hammer Hunters over 59.5gr of RL26 ~3308 fps. I think as soon as I burn these up I'll give either the 156 Bergers or a 143 ELD-X.

amassi

WKR
Right now I have 124 Hammer Hunters over 59.5gr of RL26 ~3308 fps. I think as soon as I burn these up I'll give either the 156 Bergers or a 143 ELD-X.

One of the most impressive 6.5 bullets, especially at prc/saum speeds is the 147 eld/m
You will not be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk