6.5 PRC elk loads

I have heard of the jackets coming off the bullets in flight with the eldx eldm in the 6.5prc caliber. Has anyone else see evidence as to the veracity of this?

I really like the 140 accubond. My buddy was knocking elk down with it from his 26 nosler so I built a saum and started loading them. I killed a bull last season and was impressed. They are running around 3100. I also shoot the eldx but haven’t killed anything with those. I will say I’ve shot both the accubonds and eldx out to 600. They both have the same point of impact at 600 but the accubond gets blown around pretty good as in 6-8” more drift. Best wishes to you.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
147 ELD-M is the answer.

AJ, there are a lot of lost sheep on the internet. Get the 147s, zero the rifle, validate it to 500 yards, and shoot the ******* elk in the chest cavity, right through the shoulder if you want. The elk won't like it, I promise.

TaperPin

WKR
I really like the 140 accubond. My buddy was knocking elk down with it from his 26 nosler so I built a saum and started loading them. I killed a bull last season and was impressed. They are running around 3100. I also shoot the eldx but haven’t killed anything with those. I will say I’ve shot both the accubonds and eldx out to 600. They both have the same point of impact at 600 but the accubond gets blown around pretty good as in 6-8” more drift. Best wishes to you.
The recovered accubond bullets from 1800 fps to muzzle velocity sure look good - what great penetration as well for 2x diameter expansion.

I‘m moving on from Partitions to the Accubond.

I’ll say this to the 147. When I got my rifle back I loaded a mild charge of 7828ssc with the 147. Almost everything was into 1 hole at 100 yds. I haven’t done much load development but I’ll say it’s one of the most accurate bullets I’ve ever loaded. I haven’t had time to shoot any game but as far as the accuracy goes, I’m thoroughly impressed. With the bc as high as it is, it should really shine in the long range game.

Clark33

WKR
I’ve only shot mule deer and antelope with the 147eldm and would absolutely use it on elk. It’s a straight up killer

BlaserR93

FNG
I was using the 143 eldx but recently moved to the
147 eldm in my 6.5 PRC. So far taken 30 odd fallow deer, 2 red stags and a few pigs and a heap of goats here in Australia. Both perform well that Id have no hesitation using either on elk sized critters.
cheers

OP
TradLife406
I have heard of the jackets coming off the bullets in flight with the eldx eldm in the 6.5prc caliber. Has anyone else see evidence as to the veracity of this?

No but they sure blow TF up on deer. Fragments go everywhere. But they kill deer super fast.

It is not hard at all to find reported ELDm jacket failures with main contributing factors being spun too fast or shot in tight bores. More worn and hot barrels also contribute. Haven't heard of it on ELDx.

JGRaider

WKR
Let's see.....Hornady has brought us melting tips, and now jacket separations mid flight. What's next you think?

Bondstrike's are fantastic hunting bullets, similar in performance to the Accubond bullets which I consider to be the finest hunting bullets made. I've shot about 25 hogs with the bondstrike, and a few hundred with the accubond so I have a good number of references.
JG:

Thanks for the testimonial. Glad to read positive reports on them.

I picked up a case of the 6.5 PRC Bondstrikes from Scheels some time ago. Was a sale going IIRC, but anyway the price was right. They shoot great out of a Tikka 6.5 PRC I have and I have a pile of them in .284, but I haven't sent one through game yet. The ELD-X's have given me good service from a lot of different cartridges on a lot of animals, so generally wouldn't hesitate to take them, but was thinking the Bondstrike would be better suited to potential oblique angle shots on larger game.

OP
TradLife406
I just need to buy a set of dies and get to loading. Kinda dumb I have a great loading bench and all the stuff just need to set the time aside. But then the other argument is factory ammo is so good and it's hard to find primers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk