6mm /.243 hunting success on Big Game

Well I had been really searching for a 8 twist 243 tikka since I can't legally shoot elk with a 223, but now you've really got me thinking of a 6ARC since I've got about everything but a barrel laying around to do an ARC AR build....

Factory ammo is a lot more reasonably priced than i figured as well which is nice

Anyone have velocity data for the 108 eldm out of a 16" barrel??
I personally really like it, 16” barrel with a temp stable powder is prolly gonna be down around 2600fps I’d guess. I’m using .2gr over the book max varget load and getting 2700 out of a 20” 1-7.5” with no pressure

I don’t have the 243 bonafides some of you do, but I’m curious if anyone else noticed the Weatherby 307 shows the 243 Win twist rate as 7.5” which is about the fastest twist 243 I’ve ever heard of. Not sure how much that helps a factory ammo guy (me) but kind of an interesting rifle.

Well I had been really searching for a 8 twist 243 tikka since I can't legally shoot elk with a 223, but now you've really got me thinking of a 6ARC since I've got about everything but a barrel laying around to do an ARC AR build....

Factory ammo is a lot more reasonably priced than i figured as well which is nice

Anyone have velocity data for the 108 eldm out of a 16" barrel??
My 18” AR gives me 2621fps with factory ELD-M. Not an exact 16” but gives you a close number to work with.

My first rifle was a .243. Wait that's a song. But seriously, a Win. Model 100. I only recently learned how rare it was in that cartridge.

My grandpa gave me the rifle and 3 boxes of 100gr core lokts. I shot every deer I ever killed until I was 24 with that rifle and the Simmons 8pt scope on it. Yes it lost zero all the time but it's what I had and I didn't need anything else.

That gun put the smack down on everything it hit. When it didn't lose zero, I'm not sure I had a whitetail run more than 50yds spraying.

I'm very close to going back to that same rifle, upgrading the glass, and filling the freezer. If not that rifle, that cartridge or a modern variant. Something about that combo of velocity and bullet weight has been magic on deer. If I could only get the ejector to work properly.

View attachment 614934

I’m not aware of any factory ammo that benefits from that. I wouldn’t want it that fast if I did shoot factory. They have to cater to people who buy weatherby though so they did fast twist 243 rather than a 6 creed.

I’m not aware of any factory ammo that benefits from that. I wouldn’t want it that fast if I did shoot factory. They have to cater to people who buy weatherby though so they did fast twist 243 rather than a 6 creed.
Maybe Weatherby is going to release a 6-284 and call it the 6mm short RPM and wanted to just pay for 1 barrel twist rate?

They did a fast twist(1:7.5) 6 cm in the first gen backcountry, was a sweet little rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advice needed: I am going on a hunt in two weeks in a heavily wooded bottomland where shots will be under 100 yards. Understanding that (1) I will not get to scout until the night before the hunt, (2) my tracking skills are mediocre at best, and (3 a shot animal could end be very difficult to find, I want to do my best to anchor a shot deer as much as possible. Range will be under 100 yards. I 100% want an exit wound for tracking.

A few years ago, I took an Axis doe at 87yds using my 243 and a Nosler Ballistic Tip. Her chest cavity ended up like soup, but she didn't bleed a drop and ran about 30 yards.

Understanding I don't want a pencil hole either, I am trying to decide on ammo.

Options:
  • Hornady Outfitter 80g CX copper bullet
  • various soft points or tipped bullets like the SST
  • something bonded like the Federal Fusion (maybe)
Knowing I need an exit wound, which style bullet should I use?

Advice needed: I am going on a hunt in two weeks in a heavily wooded bottomland where shots will be under 100 yards. Understanding that (1) I will not get to scout until the night before the hunt, (2) my tracking skills are mediocre at best, and (3 a shot animal could end be very difficult to find, I want to do my best to anchor a shot deer as much as possible. Range will be under 100 yards. I 100% want an exit wound for tracking.

A few years ago, I took an Axis doe at 87yds using my 243 and a Nosler Ballistic Tip. Her chest cavity ended up like soup, but she didn't bleed a drop and ran about 30 yards.

Options:
Maybe also aim for the shoulder?

Options:

Which ballistic tip? I’ve had exits in elk with the 95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back