6mm Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor for Western Hunting

Which one for Western Hunting?

• 6mm Creedmoor

• 6.5 Creedmoor

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rooggvc

WKR
So I have a 22 Creedmoor to hunt with here in Utah. I am looking for another rifle for hunting in states that don't allow 22 Cals.

My next rifle will be a Tikka Action, ROK Stock, and Scope TBD.

I am wondering if the 6mm Creedmoor is worth the extra cost of building over just buying a factory 6.5 Creedmoor. (I know the 243 is a 1/8 now. I would like to stick with the Creeds though.)

I would use the following bullets depending on which caliber I end up with.

6mm Bullets would be 108/109 ELDM's
6.5 Bullets would be 130 TMK or 140/147 ELDM's.

Are they really just too close to call? As Form might say am I "vaulting over mouse turds"?

Tullis94

WKR
I really wish tikka would just make 6 creeds!
I'm in a somewhat similar dilemma right now. I want to build a new rifle in 22 creed and put a ROK stock on it. I could either buy a 22-250 and have it rechambered or just go with a custom prefit. The prefit is obviously more money but I think I'll be happier in the long run getting the exact barrel profile I want. I say do whatever you will find more joy in. Either one will do the job!

I am loving my 6CM Tikka. That said I have really loved all 3 of my Tikka 6.5s also. You can’t go wrong either way… but re-barreling even a used rifle will be as much or more than a new 6.5.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
The one advantage for me currently that favors the 6mm Creed is my friend and brother both shoot one, so we can buy bulk ammo together.

atmat

WKR
The one advantage for me currently that favors the 6mm Creed is my friend and brother both shoot one, so we can buy bulk ammo together.
Do the math on how much you’d save that way, then decide how much of re-barrel it costs? Or if you don’t care about price, just do it. I like mine a lot.

nobody

WKR
I would do a 6.5 sheerly because of the fact that you already have the 22 creed. A little wider gap from cartridge to cartridge. Additionally, I’ve heard some states (not sure which ones to be honest) have a 25 cal minimum, so the 6 wouldn’t be legal in those states. In my head, it would make sense to have the 22 creed for states where it’s legal, then the 6.5 is your “catch all” for everywhere else.

Or you do both…

Go 6.5 and spend the extra money on a better scope. 6.5 ammo is dirt cheap and will be like the new 308 bulk ammo in terms of availability and bulk pricing.

atmat

WKR
I would do a 6.5 sheerly because of the fact that you already have the 22 creed. A little wider gap from cartridge to cartridge. Additionally, I’ve heard some states (not sure which ones to be honest) have a 25 cal minimum, so the 6 wouldn’t be legal in those states. In my head, it would make sense to have the 22 creed for states where it’s legal, then the 6.5 is your “catch all” for everywhere else.

Or you do both…
If I’m not mistaken, all western states are .223 or 6mm. The only states I know of requiring larger for elk are PA (6.5) and KY (.270)

Juan_ID

WKR
I too was thinking of buying/building a tikka 6 creed. I’ve held off for now but another option that hadn’t crossed my mind was to buy a tikka .243 1-8 twist and have it rechambered to 6creed. Might save you a little over rebarreling? 🤷‍♂️

Juan_ID

WKR
You have to ask what you’re getting with a 6creed over a 1:8 .243 if you’re a handloader.
He said he wanted to stick with a creed so 🤷‍♂️, just throwing out another possible option. For me it’s simply that I have an over abundance of cci450’s and don’t care to buy another primer type.

6.5 for several reasons.

1. For a secondary/backup rifle you can find ammo just about anywhere in a pinch. Every Walmart I’ve been to in the last two years or better has had multiple 6.5 options on the shelf as well as sporting goods stores. 6mm is far less common. Never seen it in a Walmart and sporting goods stores I’d put at 50% chance and when they do it’s usually just some match ammo where they’ll have a half dozen or better 6.5 options.

2. Factory rifle availability. May not matter to you but it’s less expensive and less hassle than a rebarrel.

3. It’s optimal for everything in the lower 48 and is more of a jump in size than 6mm.

4. If you ever decide to shoot an NRL hunter you have a rifle that meets MPF.

223 and 6.5CM are the only two centerfire rifles I own now, they simply do everything.

Lawnboi

WKR
The 6.5 is manageable in a light gun with a suppressor. That would be the deciding factor for me, what you’re going to shoot on the muzzle? They have similar ballistics but the 6.5 is beyond what I want for recoil if you’re shooting bare muzzle in a sub 10 pound gun.

The 6 is also a barrel burner.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I am currently waiting on a Hyperion K. So the gun will have a suppressor. I agree from a cost perspective the 6.5 makes more sense.

That extra money I save could go towards ammo. From a reloading perspective the 6.5 offers more options.

Devildogg

FNG
Sell your 22creed and build a 6mm creed or good old 243 win and you’ll be money ahead and have the best of both worlds.