6mm Creedmoor or 6.5 Creedmoor for Western Hunting

Which one for Western Hunting?

• 6mm Creedmoor

• 6.5 Creedmoor

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why is the 6 creed (case capacity ~53 grains) a barrel burner and the .243 (capacity ~53 grains) not a barrel burner?
The respective chamber pressures aren't much different either 60k vs 62k.
What am I missing?
Thanks.
More powder through a smaller bore for the 6mm means more heat also known as overbore in some cases. Think 308 case of powder going down a 223 bore as a better example.

mattot

FNG
6.5 for several reasons.

1. For a secondary/backup rifle you can find ammo just about anywhere in a pinch. Every Walmart I’ve been to in the last two years or better has had multiple 6.5 options on the shelf as well as sporting goods stores. 6mm is far less common. Never seen it in a Walmart and sporting goods stores I’d put at 50% chance and when they do it’s usually just some match ammo where they’ll have a half dozen or better 6.5 options.

2. Factory rifle availability. May not matter to you but it’s less expensive and less hassle than a rebarrel.

3. It’s optimal for everything in the lower 48 and is more of a jump in size than 6mm.

4. If you ever decide to shoot an NRL hunter you have a rifle that meets MPF.

223 and 6.5CM are the only two centerfire rifles I own now, they simply do everything.
Hard to argue with that.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
If going tikka just go 8 twist 243. No need for added cost of aftermarket barrel. Mine shoots the 108eld incredibly. Velocities in the mid-2900s with h4350 and over 3k with h1000.

MattB

WKR
How come the switch now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am in the same boat as the poster you directed the question to and am looking at a 6mm bore to add velocity (which extends range) for monos.

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider
How come the switch now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No switch - just adding another to the stable. My 7-08 shoots the 120gr ballistic tips so well, I never tried anything heavier. My thought was, if I get a lighter cal rifle, use it for whitetail, pronghorn, etc., and use the 7-08 with heavier projectiles for larger critters (that I currently do not hunt (e.g., elk).

They are both barrel burners
Whidden gets 3000+ rounds out of his 243s pushing 108-115s over 3000 fps. Barrel burning is relative of course, but the old saw about 243s being burners went away 20 years ago with powders like H1000, Retumbo, etc.

B23

WKR
I have a Winchester mod 70 "Coyote" model 22-250 I'm going to rebarrel for my daughter. I've got a 6 and 6.5 ACE barrel on the shelf to choose from for this project and after giving it a lot of thought 6 Creedmoor it will be. I've got a bunch of Berger 105 Hybrids and a pretty health supply of RL26 so those two together in a 6CM should make for a light recoil deer killin machine.