6x45

Taudisio

WKR
Loved mine for my little sister for a 300 yard deer and antelope rifle. The 87gr VMax at 2775 was an absolute pole axe. That gun thought me how little energy matters. It was a 20 inch benchmark barrel on a tikka t3x and was but far the most accurate rifle I’ve ever shot. 10 shot groups were consistently under or at an inch.
I missed what caliber, the 6x45 or mongoose?

Thegman

WKR
I don’t see how the mongoose could get the gas for the heavies. It’s a cool in between option for the 6arc, but I can’t imagine it would offer a whole lot more over the 6x45. A 5.56 case is only so big. Basically a 6-223ai with a shorter neck unless I missed something.
I don't think you missed much if anything. The difference is probably mostly in my almost superhuman ability to split hairs...😅

The case is shortened slightly and blown out. Pretty much a 300HAM'R necked down to 6mm with a 40 instead of the 30 degree shoulder of the HAM'R. "Ackley-ized" like you pointed out.

Supposedly it has a -bit- more case capacity than the 6x45 due to being blown out, even though it's shorter. I should have clarified "heavier" bullets. I'm thinking 95-103 gainers might fit and work a little better in AR mags with their length constraints than with the 6x45, but I don't have any experience with either of them. If it was a bolt rifle with a longer magazine, any difference there might be would probably all but disappear.

Taudisio

WKR
I don't think you missed much if anything. The difference is probably mostly in my almost superhuman ability to split hairs...😅

The case is shortened slightly and blown out. Pretty much a 300HAM'R necked down to 6mm with a 40 instead of the 30 degree shoulder of the HAM'R. "Ackley-ized" like you pointed out.

Supposedly it has a -bit- more case capacity than the 6x45 due to being blown out, even though it's shorter. I should have clarified "heavier" bullets. I'm thinking 95-103 gainers might fit and work a little better in AR mags with their length constraints than with the 6x45, but I don't have any experience with either of them. If it was a bolt rifle with a longer magazine, any difference there might be would probably all but disappear.
I think I’ll try to dig up what water capacity they claim fits. Then maybe sacrifice one of my cases and trim it down to the same case length to see the difference. 🤔

What COAL are you running the 87gr at? My 6x45 barrel is somewhere (hopefully close to shipping) in the x-caliber manufacturing process.
I’m not sure. I had it just off the lands and it fit in the tikka .223 mag. I sold it to a member on here and all the infos in the ammo box. H4895, 450s, and lapua brass.

Thegman

WKR
I think I’ll try to dig up what water capacity they claim fits. Then maybe sacrifice one of my cases and trim it down to the same case length to see the difference. 🤔
And to maximize either one in an AR platform, I'd try C-Products Duramags. My 223 mags allow loading out to ~3.18". The blown out Mongoose case would likely work in a 350L Duramag. That's what I use for my HAM'R and those allow me to load out to 3.25". It does allow me to use bullets that don't work well at 2.6".

I'm looking forward to hear your results with the 6x45.

Taudisio

WKR
And to maximize either one in an AR platform, I'd try C-Products Duramags. My 223 mags allow loading out to ~3.18". The blown out Mongoose case would likely work in a 350L Duramag. That's what I use for my HAM'R and those allow me to load out to 3.25". It does allow me to use bullets that don't work well at 2.6".

I'm looking forward to hear your results with the 6x45.
I’m going to buy one right now. I checked all of my current ar mags, the longest I have is an asc stainless (I think) that let me get out to 2.32” and I thought that was great. Never put a second thought into shopping for other magazines.

Thegman

WKR
I’m going to buy one right now. I checked all of my current ar mags, the longest I have is an asc stainless (I think) that let me get out to 2.32” and I thought that was great. Never put a second thought into shopping for other magazines.
Hold that thought! ...total brain fart. 2.318 and 2.325 is what I meant to type.

I left a 2 out in all my lengths. Senility sets in...

Sorry if you ordered one already, but at least they're good mags...mine allow a bit more than my ASC, but not your ASC.

Taudisio

WKR
Hold that thought! ...total brain fart. 2.318 and 2.325 is what I meant to type.

I left a 2 out in all my lengths. Senility sets in...

Sorry if you ordered one already, but at least they're good mags...mine allow a bit more than my ASC, but not your ASC.
Eh I already ordered them. I searched it before doing so, as I thought your numbers were long, but then I saw some folks modifying them by taking nearly the entire front and rear of the steel out. Worst thing to come out of it, if I break them whilst modifying, I’m out $17 with shipping. If it works, I may be able to stretch the rounds to 2.50”-ish, chamber depending.
I’ve been wanting to try it anyway. I took a dremel to the asc and thinned the front of it to get that length.

Thegman

WKR
Eh I already ordered them. I searched it before doing so, as I thought your numbers were long, but then I saw some folks modifying them by taking nearly the entire front and rear of the steel out. Worst thing to come out of it, if I break them whilst modifying, I’m out $17 with shipping. If it works, I may be able to stretch the rounds to 2.50”-ish, chamber depending.
I’ve been wanting to try it anyway. I took a dremel to the asc and thinned the front of it to get that length.

Sorry about that!!!

I've never done it, but the stainless ASC and Duramags should be "windowable", in the front anyway. I think that can allow around 2.37" or so COL. Wait...yes, 2.37", not 3.7"!...what a dumbass I can be...

If my mags don't all match in internal length, I (carefully) bend/stretch them open slightly by inserting a pair of channel locks in the mag body and carefully opening the jaws of the channel locks to bend them out to match, mostly so I don't have to worry about loads fitting in some but not others.

Any of these options would be a good idea with a 6x45 I think.

Taudisio

WKR
Sorry about that!!!

I've never done it, but the stainless ASC and Duramags should be "windowable", in the front anyway. I think that can allow around 2.37" or so COL. Wait...yes, 2.37", not 3.7"!...what a dumbass I can be...

If my mags don't all match in internal length, I (carefully) bend/stretch them open slightly by inserting a pair of channel locks in the mag body and carefully opening the jaws of the channel locks to bend them out to match, mostly so I don't have to worry about loads fitting in some but not others.

Any of these options would be a good idea with a 6x45 I think.
No need to be sorry! I have a handful of ar calibers, and i keep my mags separated. I am a bit nervous about accidentally throwing a 6x45 round in one of my 5.56’s. If the cartridge only fits in a “windowed” or dremeled mag, it will be safer for me in the long run. I do not reload for my 5.56 so I only run lancer and pmags for them.

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
The 6x45 is simply a wicked little hammer ! I built mine with a 1:7" Pacnor SS super match 3 groove #3 profile finished at 18"... Powder appetite is stupid modest as you will make better than 100fps per grain of powder, with very forgiving manners and amazingly trite ES/SD values. Have dabbled the Horn' Moly 87 Vmax. Avg 2882fps with 26.4gr BM, however It's mainstay is Horn' Moly 105gr Amax @ 2600fps with 24.5gr H4895.

24.5gr 8208 Avg 2575fps... 24.5gr BM Avg 2587fps, All Moly 105's kissing lands.

Have been running the Athlon 2-12 for a while now with stellar results. The 6x Swiffer is waiting in the wings should it suffer a puke but hasn't been needed...

@ridgeline , I was reading through this thread again since it popped back up. I'm curious... what does Moly coating bullets do for you? It doesn't seem to be a very common practice anymore. Also curious how far you've stretched your 6x45 out to with the 105's. Thanks!

ridgeline

FNG
@ridgeline , I was reading through this thread again since it popped back up. I'm curious... what does Moly coating bullets do for you? It doesn't seem to be a very common practice anymore. Also curious how far you've stretched your 6x45 out to with the 105's. Thanks!
Dang, you got me to remember I have not shot a naked bullet for 30 years, all have been Moly slicked by me !! out of the crew I hunt and shoot with I am the only one who pounds Moly... For me, Moly's greatest attribute is the constant interface between POI/POA, because there is no screwing around with a cleaning rod and there's also no CBS "weirdness", I also incorporate .003" neck constriction on nice brass through nice dies and see nice long term ES/SD values.

Have shot the 105 Amax out to 820yds in this barrel to confirm data.
1600FPS impact velocity happens at the 612 yard line and that ain't to shabby for 24.5 gr of powder.

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Dang, you got me to remember I have not shot a naked bullet for 30 years, all have been Moly slicked by me !! out of the crew I hunt and shoot with I am the only one who pounds Moly... For me, Moly's greatest attribute is the constant interface between POI/POA, because there is no screwing around with a cleaning rod and there's also no CBS "weirdness", I also incorporate .003" neck constriction on nice brass through nice dies and see nice long term ES/SD values.

1600FPS impact velocity happens at the 612 yard line and that ain't to shabby for 24.5 gr of powder.
So if I'm understanding correctly... Moly reduces copper fouling for you, so you don't clean as often and therefore you have a more static zero? Those velocity and range numbers are certainly impressive for the case size. Would you say that you are leaning on the throttle pretty good... or are your loads backed off from the red line?

Thegman

WKR

Also, I'm curious what COL you need for that bullet to work in the case(?).

WKR
My 6/45 was built as a lefty using an ARC Nucleus, Hawk Hill 7.5 twist at 18" and sits in a McMillan classic. I shoot 95 vld, 95 classics, 90 eld and 75 vmax, all at or very close to half inch. I can get the 95 stuff up very close to 2600 fps. RL15, Varget and TAC. Brass is basically free as I just neck up any 223 I have. For my serious stuff I do use Lapua 223. Suppressed its almost too fun to shoot.

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
My 6/45 was built as a lefty using an ARC Nucleus, Hawk Hill 7.5 twist at 18" and sits in a McMillan classic. I shoot 95 vld, 95 classics, 90 eld and 75 vmax, all at or very close to half inch. I can get the 95 stuff up very close to 2600 fps. RL15, Varget and TAC. Brass is basically free as I just neck up any 223 I have. For my serious stuff I do use Lapua 223. Suppressed its almost too fun to shoot.
Sounds like a nice rig! Got a pic?

ridgeline

FNG
So if I'm understanding correctly... Moly reduces copper fouling for you, so you don't clean as often and therefore you have a more static zero? Those velocity and range numbers are certainly impressive for the case size. Would you say that you are leaning on the throttle pretty good... or are your loads backed off from the red line?
That's about it, after the initial bore cleaning to a sterile condition I never touch the cleaning rod again. Though I may clean a chamber if it really needs it.
Moly is a lubricant and you will see a pressure / velocity drop, so you will add powder till you reach your operating velocity window. I don't Hot Rod my stuff anymore I loaded a half a grain over the load I settled on and didn't see any pressure or velocity issues, shut her down and went into mass production mode...