7 PRC Velocities / FACTORY Ammo

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Got back out today with my 22” proof barrel, using the garmin I’m getting 2825 with the hornady factory 175 eldx the es was pretty wide though around 40. 50 degrees out and this makes the round count 90

JustSeth

FNG
This is my first post. Found a lot of great info in this thread that helped me figure out a velocity issue for a friend. So much so that I had to join and share this info:

A friend has a Savage 110 Ultralight in 7mm PRC (22” barrel). He bought 6 boxes of Hornady PH 175 gr ELD-X ammunition and 2 boxes of Federal 175 ELD-X ammunition. The boxes from both brands list velocity at 3,000 fps. He borrowed my magnetospeed (his first time using a chronograph) and got the following speeds with the HornadyIMG_5652.jpeg and these from the Federals. IMG_5653.jpeg

He’s still in the break-in process so I thought that would be a dramatic increase but not impossible. He shot another Hornady load and it was 2748 fps. So that did not explain the difference in velocity.

I pulled bullets from both cases and noted that the Federal powder looked, metered and weighed like 60.9 grains of 7828 SSC (I’m NOT saying that’s definitively what it is). I couldn’t identify the Hornady powder. It had a yellowish tint. I thought I’d taken a picture of the powder on my scale but I can’t find it in my phone. Regardless, the only other difference that I noticed was a slight “crimp” mark on the fillet that I pulled from the federal.

After reading this thread, I realized that I’d forgotten to compare seating depth and sure enough ….IMG_7925.jpeg

… the Federal is seated deeper. Incidentally, the Federal load is more accurate too.

Anyway … thanks for all the insight.

This is my first post. Found a lot of great info in this thread that helped me figure out a velocity issue for a friend. So much so that I had to join and share this info:

A friend has a Savage 110 Ultralight in 7mm PRC (22” barrel). He bought 6 boxes of Hornady PH 175 gr ELD-X ammunition and 2 boxes of Federal 175 ELD-X ammunition. The boxes from both brands list velocity at 3,000 fps. He borrowed my magnetospeed (his first time using a chronograph) and got the following speeds with the HornadyView attachment 671401 and these from the Federals. View attachment 671402

He’s still in the break-in process so I thought that would be a dramatic increase but not impossible. He shot another Hornady load and it was 2748 fps. So that did not explain the difference in velocity.

I pulled bullets from both cases and noted that the Federal powder looked, metered and weighed like 60.9 grains of 7828 SSC (I’m NOT saying that’s definitively what it is). I couldn’t identify the Hornady powder. It had a yellowish tint. I thought I’d taken a picture of the powder on my scale but I can’t find it in my phone. Regardless, the only other difference that I noticed was a slight “crimp” mark on the fillet that I pulled from the federal.

After reading this thread, I realized that I’d forgotten to compare seating depth and sure enough ….View attachment 671403

… the Federal is seated deeper. Incidentally, the Federal load is more accurate too.

That’s great info. Thanks for sharing. Any noticeable increase in recoil for the federal?

jbosk15808

Lil-Rokslider

A friend has a Savage 110 Ultralight in 7mm PRC (22” barrel). He bought 6 boxes of Hornady PH 175 gr ELD-X ammunition and 2 boxes of Federal 175 ELD-X ammunition. The boxes from both brands list velocity at 3,000 fps. He borrowed my magnetospeed (his first time using a chronograph) and got the following speeds with the HornadyView attachment 671401 and these from the Federals. View attachment 671402

After reading this thread, I realized that I’d forgotten to compare seating depth and sure enough ….View attachment 671403

Did you happen to get a CBTO measurement for the Federals?

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
This seems to be on par with what everyone else is seeing….. Seth, did he have any signs of pressure?

hiker270

WKR

I pulled bullets from both the Hornady and Federal 175 Eld-X the charge weights were both 67 grains. Both of the powders looked to me like H1000. The Federal was 3.210 OAL and the Hornady was 3.290 OAL.The Federal shot under MOA in my Christensen Ridleline FFT the Hornady shot very poor and showed pressure signs. The Hodgdon load data for the 7PRC is 67.2 grains of H1000 for the 175 Nosler ABLR. I wonder if Federal or Hornady have changed the powder they are loading the 175 Eld-X with. thats a big difference 60 to 67 grains.

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I pulled bullets from both the Hornady and Federal 175 Eld-X the charge weights were both 67 grains. Both of the powders looked to me like H1000. The Federal was 3.210 OAL and the Hornady was 3.290 OAL.The Federal shot under MOA in my Christensen Ridleline FFT the Hornady shot very poor and showed pressure signs. The Hodgdon load data for the 7PRC is 67.2 grains of H1000 for the 175 Nosler ABLR. I wonder if Federal or Hornady have changed the powder they are loading the 175 Eld-X with. thats a big difference 60 to 67 grains.
I’d be curious to see the lot number between your bullets and the one Seth’s friend had, I’ve not been impressed with the ES on the hornady eldx, the eldm however has been tighter for me

JustSeth

FNG
This seems to be on par with what everyone else is seeing….. Seth, did he have any signs of pressure?
Qualifier: I’ve been reloading for a few years but I’m no expert. I have a lot to learn so maybe I missed something but he said there was no bolt lift or difficulty with extraction and on the cases that I saw, the primers did not look deformed and there were no extractor marks.

JustSeth

FNG
I’d be curious to see the lot number between your bullets and the one Seth’s friend had, I’ve not been impressed with the ES on the hornady eldx, the eldm however has been tighter for me
IMG_7929.jpegAll boxes of Hornady were from this lot number.

hiker270

WKR
Just checked, don't have the Hornady box to check the lot number.

Bluumoon

WKR
PVA 22" Tikka prefit. Hornady 180gr ELDM. First 5 rounds avged 2750fps
Magnetospeed chronograph, but checks out at 675 yards.

Last edited:

tibo

FNG
They have been changing powder between batch from day one. I had batch of 180 edm with ball powder other with charge up to 70-72gn other batch with stick powder ect

Dave_S

FNG
I got out yesterday and shot both of Federal’s offerings. The 170s averaged 3043 and the 175 ELDX got me 2983. Looks like one of these is what I’ll use for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiker270

WKR
I got out yesterday and shot both of Federal’s offerings. The 170s averaged 3043 and the 175 ELDX got me 2983. Looks like one of these is what I’ll use for hunting.

If that 170 T/A shoots good for you it should really be an excellent big game bullet. Been a fan of the Federal T/A bullet for years, wish I could get them to reload.

Dave_S

FNG
If that 170 T/A shoots good for you it should really be an excellent big game bullet. Been a fan of the Federal T/A bullet for years, wish I could get them to reload.

Yeah I seems to shoot well out of my rifle. I’m very happy that the TA not only shot well, but with a velocity that makes me happy to use the caliber.