7 PRC weight

BlakeJ

FNG
Looking for some opinions on what a complete rifle weight in 7 PRC should be, with a good balance between lightweight enough to carry in the mountains and still heavy enough for shooting long range effectively.

z987k

WKR
I think that's a highly personal choice. I think 7lbs all up is too much to carry in the mountains. But a 7lb gun in 7prc is going to kick like a mule.
Unless you suppress it.

Unckebob

WKR
Looking for some opinions on what a complete rifle weight in 7 PRC should be, with a good balance between lightweight enough to carry in the mountains and still heavy enough for shooting long range effectively.

It is basically a 7mm Rem Mag in terms of performance. I would look at successful builds in that caliber for guidance.

wyosam

WKR
I’d say somewhere in the 7.5-8.5# range. Depending on your recoil tolerance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
My 7mm Blaser mag is pretty much a twin to the new 7PRC and it's right around 9lbs. It has a laminated wood stock, NF NXS scope, HS Prec det. mag setup and Hart #4 26in barrel plus brake so it wasn't really built to be particularly lightweight. Shooting the 180 Berger's at 3100 it's a pleasure to shoot.

If I were to build another 7 Blaser or 7PRC I'd probably go with a 22in barrel, something like a McM Edge fill stock and maybe a NF NX8 scope. That would probably drop the weight to at least 8lbs maybe a little under and with a good brake still be fairly decent to shoot.

Lightweight guns are great for packing but not always the greatest for shooting. If it's something you plan to shoot on a regular basis I prefer to have something at least 8-8+ lb range.

I’d think ~8lbs with 22” barrel would be the sweet spot for me on a 7mm prc.
I’m thinking the same, and what I will hopefully achieve. Ordered a 7 PRC through Gunwerks a few months ago. Will be their ClymR with a 22 inch barrel and break, topped with a NF NX8 with NF rings. Should come out to about 8.25-8.5ish loaded.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
My build will be a little shy of 8.5lb scoped, just shy of 9lb with suppressor. Those are all at my weight targets for the system.

(fuzion ti LA, 20” carbon barrel, Hawkins m5 hunter dbm, McMillan gw2.0 stock, short pic rail, 3” arca plate for tripod, new UM 30mm scope rings, NXS 2.5-10 or ?? scope).

Anymore updates on this? Barrel ordered and putting the pieces together now. I’m looking at about 8.5ish all put together. Haven’t shot the 7PRC so not sure about recoil. But thinking 8.5lbs would be a good sweet spot of light enough but still good shoot-ability.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Anymore updates on this? Barrel ordered and putting the pieces together now. I’m looking at about 8.5ish all put together. Haven’t shot the 7PRC so not sure about recoil. But thinking 8.5lbs would be a good sweet spot of light enough but still good shoot-ability.
Mine suppressed is still noticeable but not terrible, I think your goal weight is good. Personally, braked it could be lighter and be fine, but with a 5.5" suppressor I would not want lighter than 8.5lb scoped. I have not found it terrible to carry. Certainly the creedmoors and 6.5PRC are not as bad recoil wise.

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I am at 10.4lbs w/a 24" fluted Benchmark #5 contour barrel, McMillian CF stock, Borden action, acra plate midway on forend and picatinny rail for the bipod. A full 1lb over what i had planned b/c i went with the Zeiss LRP S3 (38oz) vs the V6 which was 22oz. It's heavier than I planned, but not too heavy and recoil is a non issue but the brake makes it stunningly loud. Waiting on my suppressor still . If I were looking for a mountain rifle I'd go lighter - but I'd probably go short action / 6.5prc too. Sometimes I wish I did but I wasn't focusing on weight so much. I think the gun alone comes in right @ 7.5lbs before scope, rings etc. It may be an excuse to build a lighter gun or get a smaller/lighter optic should I ever make it a pack gun.

Last edited:

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sitting at 9.5 pounds with a tikka currently in a factory stock, bartlein #3 barrel at 22”, pic rail, seekins rings and Nightforce nx8 4-32. No brake and I don’t find the recoil bad at all.

My 22" 7PRC is 10lbs with my suppressor on it, under 9lbs without the can. I hand carry my rifle now and have stopped using a sling. I don't mind the weight. Lighter would be nice but this is manageable.

slowelk

WKR
My 22" 7PRC is 10lbs with my suppressor on it, under 9lbs without the can. I hand carry my rifle now and have stopped using a sling. I don't mind the weight. Lighter would be nice but this is manageable.

I also hand carry a 10# suppressed rifle. It’s not that bad when carrying, but nice to shoot.

TheHammer

WKR
8.5 is on the light side. 9.5 is probably pretty practical for most. That being said on the suppressor side, I got to play with the silencerco scythe-ti and would highly highly recommend it to anyone being weight or length conscious. N I bought 2 yesterday after that experience.

8.5 - 9.5. My unbraked 24 inch 7mag is 9 you could go either way half a pound. with a brake 8 would probably be fine too

Thanks for all the replies. It will probably be closer to 9 but definitely under. 24” and it will have a brake. That’s with the current stock I’m looking at. I could add 1/2lb depending on the stock but I’m leaning toward the lighter stock.