7mm-08 elk round

Dougfir

FNG
I'm guessing the tsx would do great at regular hunting distances. I've killed one elk with the 7mm-08. It was a 150 gr. Accubond LR and it did a great job. Next year, I'll be chasing elk again with that rifle and have been handloading some 160 grain accubonds.

elkguide

WKR
I love Hornady SST's. I am also a big 7mm08 fan.

SST's are one of the most accurate bullets that I have ever used.

Now when it comes to elk, I wouldn't even consider using an SST. That is an animal that can take a lot of lead. I would lean towards a 139 grain Berger bullet or the 140 grain Nosler Partitions. Limit yourself to shots that you are confident that you can make. A bullet from a 7mm08 in the boiler room will put an elk down.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
So the Superformance SST in 139gr is only 50fps slower than the 120gr TTSX at the muzzle. Would the extra weight or the extra speed be better? Does 50 or 100 or 150 fps make that much of a difference? Looking at factory ammo they are all pretty close.

The SST is an extremely frangible bullet with wide, but reletively short wound channel. Now I don't have an issue with frangible bullets, but I would go to the heavy side with them i.e.- 162gr, etc.

The bullet matters far more than muzzle velocity.

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
I've thought about this a lot and researched it a lot for my new 7mm-08. The one thing I've noticed is people always seem to mention the partitions. I'm sure other bullets work great too or maybe even better in some cases, but the nosler partition always seems to come up as one that consistently works for elk. A 140 partition is probably what I'll go with in my Tikka.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Does Berger sell factory loads or is there a factory ammo company that loads them?

Copper Creek Ammo does 6.5 Creedmoor up very well. The 130 grain Hunter shoots .7-.8 MOA in two guns of mine. I shot an antelope this last year with this Copper Creek load. I think they have three or four of the 6.5 CM loads with Berger bullets, and a few other bullets too. They load a bunch calibers. Great ammo. Very accurate.

Caliber's We Load : Copper Creek Cartridge Co.

GKPrice

Banned
I've thought about this a lot and researched it a lot for my new 7mm-08. The one thing I've noticed is people always seem to mention the partitions. I'm sure other bullets work great too or maybe even better in some cases, but the nosler partition always seems to come up as one that consistently works for elk. A 140 partition is probably what I'll go with in my Tikka.

Partition is always a good choice, Accubond is designed to emulate Partition terminal performance (which it does) with the flight characteristics and accuracy of the famous Ballistic Tip (which it also does) - If you like the Partition you might REALLY like the Accubond