7mm-08 for black bear

yousowise

FNG
My 12 yr old son would like to shoot a black bear this spring. He has a 7mm-08 Tikka compact is this enough gun, using 140gr Accubonds? Would there be a better bullet? Currently plan on baiting in Idaho so should be able to set up less than 100yds.

Should be good over 100 yards too. 7mm/08 is plenty of medicine for black bear

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That is plenty of gun for black bear at any range your son can shoot well, most likely. I don't know his capabilities but I would take mine with no second thought.

Thanks guys, I've heard bears can be tough to bring down, we'll take the 08 out with confidence now.

I'm with the majority here too- shot placement brotha. 223 could smoke a bear if you hit it right. I personally use a 308 for everything. Have yet to smack something that fails to eventually hit the dirt.
6e50d57ae95f9420e66e5222b2b763cd.jpg

One shot drop .308 at 200 yards left a 1 inch hole clean through her.

Cant think of a bullet that really wouldn't work out of a 7mm-08. 7mm-08 is just plain easy on bullets. I know of a guy that has killed a few bears with a 220 swift.

Once again I'll point out as I did the last time someone asked a similar question fairly recently. Becca Moffat drops Alaskan brown bears with one shot from her tiny .308. Search the forum. Its a neat story with great pictures!

My 11 yr is shooting a 7mm-08 with 120 gr TTSX, we'll be chasing bears this spring and have no worries that it wouldn't kill the biggest BC black bear out there. Accubonds are great bullets as well, you are good to go, enjoy!

The 7-08 will work good. Black bears aren't hard to kill, but can cover some ground before dying, leaving a tough tracking job. It is nice to have an exit. I have NO experience with accubonds, will they exit with a 50ish yard non shoulder shot?

I have run a few bait sites with my kids (now 12 and 14) the last couple years...I am sure you guys will have lots of fun. What unit/area are you thinking about?

Was planning on unit 11. How far before the hunt should we establish a site? I helped a guy set one up years ago and he shot a bear the next day, but I would like to have it up long enough to get some pics on trail cams and know what's in the area before we hunt it.
Thanks!!!

I like atleast a week. Are you planning a tree stand. We have had good luck with ground blinds at about 50 yds, with enough cover built in that the kids could move around some (read a book, carve on sticks) and keep themselves entertained.

Last edited:
Was thinking ground blind for the reasons you stated. Also I don't own a tree stand. Thanks for all the help.

I think a 7-08 is surely enoug gun for sub 100 shooting. If the kid can shoot it, I would not hesiate to use it. I've personally seen people sucessfully use a 30-30, .243, and a lever 44mag rifle for bears. The 7-08 appears better than all of those guns for black bears (IMO).

Just an idea if you're shooting short yardage: My 12 year old daughter is using a 20 gauge single shot youth model for baited bears this year. I had the barrel shortened to 18.5 inches (so we can still take to Canada) and drilled and tapped it for for a Weaver style rail. I put a small off-brand electronic site on it because the rail is really short. It shoots really well at 75 yards with the cheapest factory 3/4 oz. Winchester slugs I could find to sight it in (for a short barrelled no choke smoothbore). 4.5-6 inch groups 3 times in a row from a bench. I haven't shot it past that distance because I can't imagine a shot over 25 yards where we hunt over bait and I only had 15 rounds to work with that day. Maybe I'll try a 100 yards just for fun when I get it back and put it together.

The gun is really, really light. The short hollow plastic stock feels more like a toy, but its perfect gun for her. I'm having it cerakoted and the stock and forearm hydro dipped in the pattern she picked out. She's excited, and I am too (to have her take a bear with it). She's a girly girl and I'm trying to keep her excited about going hunting... hence letting her pick the pattern for the stock... This gun is now so short and light, it might start having it accompanying me on backcountry trips. The only thing I'll do is swap out the electronic site for a "See-All" sight on the same rail. Sorry if I am derailing your topic... back to the topic at hand.

The guy who said that they can cover some ground after the shot is spot on. Their long hair can clog up the wound opening real quick too. I like big holes for a big blood trail. That's the biggest reason I chose the 20 gauge for my daughter. We have a better chance at recovery if she makes a poor shot.

Back