7mm-08 vs. 6.5 PRC for muleys

EmperorMA

WKR
I have a stupid accurate 6.5 CM barrel for my Savage so maybe I should just stick with that and learn to be happy. LOL
See what it likes from the 135 Classic Hunter through the 147 ELD-M and go have a blast.

Mine likes 142 ABLR and 147 ELD-M. I am happy with both of those and not worried out to 600 with either.

grfox92

WKR
8 twist Weatherby vanguard. Staball 6.5 seems to be a really good match.
View attachment 650182
Here's the ballistics with that MV out of a 150gr ELDX. Who needs a magnum these days? Deadly to 1000 yards at 5k elevation (my house)

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
33a65d39037d92029444077701b682a9.jpg

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 7mm-08 and the 120gr BT and it's insta death for Texas whitetail, mule deer, and pronghorn.

I'm tossing around the idea of a 6.5 PRC b/c why not? But, I'm also seriously thinking about a 257 Weatherby.

I fell into a similar snare a few years back. Already had a 6.5CM that I liked alot, but became seduced by all of the hoopla around the new 6.5PRC. Finally bit the bullet and had one built. Both shoot lights out and since I’d already taken all kinds of game with the CM it is still my go to. It is an easy-carrying, handy, comfortable shooting rifle that has proven deadly for sheep, mountain goats, deer, etc. Nothing wrong with the PRC and it was certainly the new “shiny penny” when I first got it. The only time I can say that I’d strongly consider using it over the CM is for game that is known for longer range shots and tenacity for life - like Tur or similar. However, if I hunting big stuff like Elk, Moose, etc, I’m probably going 7mm Mag or 30WM. But today I’m much more comfortable with more efficient cartridges adequate for the game I’m after, than dealing with size, weight, recoil and blast of bigger cartridges if I don’t need to. Personally find myself generally a more accurate field shooter with a comfortable, easy-shooting rig.

I fell into a similar snare a few years back. Already had a 6.5CM that I liked alot, but became seduced by all of the hoopla around the new 6.5PRC. Finally bit the bullet and had one built. Both shoot lights out and since I’d already taken all kinds of game with the CM it is still my go to. It is an easy-carrying, handy, comfortable shooting rifle that has proven deadly for sheep, mountain goats, deer, etc. Nothing wrong with the PRC and it was certainly the new “shiny penny” when I first got it. The only time I can say that I’d strongly consider using it over the CM is for game that is known for longer range shots and tenacity for life - like Tur or similar. However, if I hunting big stuff like Elk, Moose, etc, I’m probably going 7mm Mag or 30WM. But today I’m much more comfortable with more efficient cartridges adequate for the game I’m after, than dealing with size, weight, recoil and blast of bigger cartridges if I don’t need to. Personally find myself generally a more accurate field shooter with a comfortable, easy-shooting rig.

Couldn’t have been stated better. Unless you’re really serious about shooting well beyond 600 yards, there are many excellent short action cartridge choices that are relatively mild and easy to shoot. In lightweight mountain style rifles, they just make more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk