7mm STW build in progress... Budget LR Hunting Rifle Phase I

I would definitely have sent more down-range if I would have had time - I'll head out and try to repeat ASAP. The other reason 2-shots made sense is because I couldn't quite make out the holes in the target and I wouldn't have known which shot was which if I had shot more. Figured with only 2 holes it didn't really matter. Meanwhile, she's close enough to go hunt this weekend. I would like to shoot it over a chrono or shoot 400 or 500 yards so I would be a bit more confident in my drops.

I would definitely have sent more down-range if I would have had time - I'll head out and try to repeat ASAP. The other reason 2-shots made sense is because I couldn't quite make out the holes in the target and I wouldn't have known which shot was which if I had shot more. Figured with only 2 holes it didn't really matter. Meanwhile, she's close enough to go hunt this weekend. I would like to shoot it over a chrono or shoot 400 or 500 yards so I would be a bit more confident in my drops.

Confirming dope at 400-600 is great, but you can get it done at 300. Especially if you're shooting that good! ;) just have it zero'd at 100 instead of 200. You'll get a better idea of velocity by clicking up say 9 clicks for 300 (my dope) from 100 yard zero rather than clicking up only 3 clicks from a 200 yard zero (again my dope, and I shoot mils so you'll be a bit more obviously shooting minutes).

Having fun though aren't you? ;)

Mike

Awesome thread Darin, and looks like the process is going well!

Mike, when are you going to get Ryan on the MIL train?

There are quite a few Vandal alumni roaming the valley. We're outnumbered 10:1 by the bandwagon Boise State fans, but for actual alumni only about 3 to 1 I would guess. We're not that hard to spot though... We're usually the ones that sign their paychecks... BSU alumni might know us better as "boss". :)

Man, you're killin me! As the other saying goes---"how do you keep a Vandal out of your front yard? Put up a goalpost."
Sorry, couldn't resist. Nice looking rifle and the shooting looks like it is going well. I've got a Bell and Carlson on a 6.5 creedmoor and it is a tack driver.

Randy

How did it go?
It went really well... I would post pics, but can't seem to upload right now and my [ENTER] key does not respond when I am replying to threads... (weird). Anyway, the wind was a bit tricky, but I set a target at exactly 500 yards but I was shooting across a canyon near the top of a saddle. I had wind blowing one way from the shooting location and another at the target. I shot two and found one of them in my spotter just of the edge of the bull at 9-O'clock. I shot one more and couldn't see it on target. Wind got worse so I shot another giving it 2 MOA of windage. Went down to inspect the target and found I had one in the red bullseye about 1/2" off the cross, and the other one I could see, one-inch left. Pretty awesome... I did shoot four shots though - LOL! Two of them were off the paper, two of them as good as you could ever hope for at 500 yards. I caught a couple of lulls in the wind which probably was my first two shots. The paper is only +/- 1 MOA wide at 500 yards so I don't feel too bad. A full value 10 MPH wind moves my bullet 2.5 MOA at that range My ballistic software predicted correctly and I guessed the velocity close enough. Extremely pleased so far with the way this rifle is shooting. I will edit this post with a picture of the target when I can upload again. Took the rifle for a LONG walk this weekend hoping to find a wolf or yote to test out the 160 grain accubonds, but no luck...

Man, you're killin me! As the other saying goes---"how do you keep a Vandal out of your front yard? Put up a goalpost."
Sorry, couldn't resist. Nice looking rifle and the shooting looks like it is going well. I've got a Bell and Carlson on a 6.5 creedmoor and it is a tack driver.

Randy
Wouldn't be much of a rivalry without some good smack talk now would it! All in good fun man - I root for the Broncos, god knows a guy would be way too depressed if all he had was Vandal football these days. Coop

Man Darin, don't know how I feel about a fellow vandal alumni rooting for a BSU team... :-/ I think if you were more committed you would've had all 4 shots on paper! ;)

Mike

Man Darin, don't know how I feel about a fellow vandal alumni rooting for a BSU team... :-/ I think if you were more committed you would've had all 4 shots on paper! ;)

Mike
You may be right... I attribute all the wind around here to the hot air from all the BSU fans! I root for them, but secretly enjoy every missed field goal attempt that brings them back to reality...

Wouldn't be much of a rivalry without some good smack talk now would it! All in good fun man - I root for the Broncos, god knows a guy would be way too depressed if all he had was Vandal football these days. Coop

Yup, all in good fun. They are fun to watch though.

Randy

Allright - enough hijacking my thread to bash BSU!

HC - you are definitely building my next rifle! I will use it to hunt in I - D - A - H - O, Idaho, Idaho, GO - GO - GO!

Sorry, that's just the "Joe" in me coming out...
attachment.php

BTW, Got things working well in computer-land again - I just had to click the compatibility view icon next to the web address & things are back to working good.

Here's the 500 yard target - two shots off paper, but two were money $$. Pretty confident the range dope is going to work good on out to at least 700. Wind... well obviously that's going to require more practice!
attachment.php

Coop

Last edited:
Check now... Not sure what the issue is. I reloaded the images. Let me know if you can see them now.

Here's a shot from the long hike this weekend - Took the new rifle on it's maiden wolf hunt, but didn't find anything to shoot at.

attachment.php

I started way down in the bottom where the middle ridge falls off on the right... Great day!

Coop

Two more shots from the weekend...

Kennetrek's getting a breather...
attachment.php

An elk-herd I sat above and watched for an hour or so. I felt like an armed guard. Bring it on wolves!
attachment.php

Coop

Back