80lbs Bows

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I currently shoot a Mathew’s Halon 32, 70lbs, and 28in draw. Total arrow weight is about 515 grains. Last year I played around with my arrow setup and got it shooting good with the heavier arrows and single bevel broadheads.

The heavier arrows work great. Clean pass through a all the deer I shot last year. I pull the arrow out of the ground, sharpen the head, and it’s good to go. I just don’t love the pin gap.

I have no issues pulling back a 70lbs bow. I just was thinking if I got a 80lbs bow I can keep the heavy arrows and cut down pin gap.

Looking for input.

JD Jones

WKR
I personally stopped shooting 80. In the summer it’s all gravy but things get tight when it’s 30-50 degrees out. Just wasn’t for me and my shoulder. 70 is boring but it’s plenty effective

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
Think about your shoulder.

I hear you. I have been pulling a 70lbs since I was 16 and I am currently 32. Don’t have any shoulder issues. Avid weight lifter.

However, longevity is important and something to keep in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot 82lbs at 29” draw and 655g arrow. I shot one arrow through a crono and it read 242fps. I expected it to be a little faster but I don’t really care that it’s not. Shooting a heavier arrow flatter was the reason I went up in draw weight also, but I shoot instinctive so I can’t speak on pin gap. I doubt any of that helps you, but I see no reason not to try it. You can always turn it down. They’ll be a lot of people saying you don’t “need to” or “your shoulder” this and that. Don’t let their physical limitations have any bearing on your decision.

OP
JGBowman

JGBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 82lbs at 29” draw and 655g arrow. I shot one arrow through a crono and it read 242fps. I expected it to be a little faster but I don’t really care that it’s not. Shooting a heavier arrow flatter was the reason I went up in draw weight also, but I shoot instinctive so I can’t speak on pin gap. I doubt any of that helps you, but I see no reason not to try it. You can always turn it down. They’ll be a lot of people saying you don’t “need to” or “your shoulder” this and that. Don’t let their physical limitations have any bearing on your decision.

I think I keep tossing around the idea because I just want to play with another bow.

But I don’t want to go through the hassle if it’s not worth it. And my bow works really well. It might be a next year project if I do anything.

Rob5589

WKR
You're assuming that you'll be shooting the same arrow with 10 more pounds of draw weight. Maybe, maybe not. If you end up having to go to a stiffer (heavier) shaft, you're likely to end up with around the same gpp and roughly same speeds/pin gap. You may be better off trying to drop to a 450-475 gr arrow to reduce the gap.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Plenty of guys pulling 60 that shouldn’t.

Plenty of guys pulling 70 that shouldn’t.

Plenty of guys pulling 80 that shouldn’t.

And plenty of guys that have no problem with 60, 70, 80.

I never understand the blanket shoulder comment. If I can pull 80 with less effort than you can pull 70, are you pulling too much?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Which one? I've always wondered......which shoulder is supposed to take the beating from heavy draw bows......bow shoulder or draw shoulder?

A few years ago my PSE blew up on me when a yoke loop broke at full draw. PSE only had 80lb limbs on the shelf for it. I always wanted to try 80 so that's what I used. But I also have always left my 7 pin sight where it is and adjust draw weight and arrow weight to that same speed (285fps) that keeps the pins the same. So I just shot a heavier arrow and set the bow at 75lbs to keep the 285fps.

Just depends on what is most important to you. I have a buddy that is just starting out with archery and has a 27" draw. Bow is currently set at 58lbs and he'll have to work up to 70 max, but he's starting out with 420gr arrows and I don't see him having a problem with that even on elk, even if he doesn't get to 70lbs.

Last edited:

Duh

WKR
I hear you. I have been pulling a 70lbs since I was 16 and I am currently 32. Don’t have any shoulder issues. Avid weight lifter.

However, longevity is important and something to keep in mind.

I’m in the same boat as you. I still lift daily but I did have a rotator cuff injury when I was 19. It’s hasn’t really affected me shooting bows now days (I’m 31).

I pull 80 now and it’s no issue. I did see a significant pin gap cut down and I probably won’t go back to 70lbs until I’m to fragile to pull the weight.

Make the switch if you’re already thinking about it.

I went the other way. No issues with 70 and most likely no issues with 80, at least normally, but I like to shoot a lot, so went to 60 on my newest bow(really just picked it up for a 3d setup). I can shoot all day and not get tired(not totally true, but you get the point) so I have really gotten to work on form and shot process a lot more. That said, I am still getting 275 fps with almost a 400 grain arrow so no complaints. My normal hunting arrows are 460 grain FMJ's, so will probably tune those up for hunting season, of course expecting a lot of speed loss, but I've blown through whitetails with a 42lb recurve and a good cut on contact head. I won't have any hesitation with that setup in the elk woods.

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve been shooting 82-87lbs for 10years now. Don’t regret any of it. My draw is similar to yours at 29.5”, currently total arrow weight 614gr 17% foc. I’m getting just over 260 fps. Previously I was running a 403gr arrow and they were blazing fast but also the wind would get the best of them past 50yds. I run a hha single pin and don’t adjust/dial it. I leave it set at 32yds. Which removes all human error +/- 2” to 44yds. This has proven very effective and ethical in all hunting scenarios.

i bought a 80# bow but have it backed down a little bit. I'm tempted to max it out but honestly i don't need to. I could probably drop to a 60# max and be just as deadly because my FOC would stay the same and my velocity would be very close to same as well

NYSKIER

WKR
I’ve been shooting 82-87lbs for 10years now. Don’t regret any of it. My draw is similar to yours at 29.5”, currently total arrow weight 614gr 17% foc. I’m getting just over 260 fps. Previously I was running a 403gr arrow and they were blazing fast but also the wind would get the best of them past 50yds. I run a hha single pin and don’t adjust/dial it. I leave it set at 32yds. Which removes all human error +/- 2” to 44yds. This has proven very effective and ethical in all hunting scenarios.
1 pin +/- 2" up to 44 sounds great, I couldn't draw that but would love to be able to do that

I shoot 78-79# and don’t have any issues. It’s not needed and a bad idea for some people but if you can pull it comfortably then go for it. Adding KE to your arrow will always be a benefit. Also, you can keep your old bow for high rep practice and use the high poundage towards hunting season.

Jethro

WKR
I think I keep tossing around the idea because I just want to play with another bow.

But I don’t want to go through the hassle if it’s not worth it. And my bow works really well. It might be a next year project if I do anything.

If you're going to do it, do it while you can. One day you'll be 52 and won't have as many options. Don't believe me ask Jason :ROFLMAO:.

Me personally, I'd shoot lighter arrow in current set up if I wanted to tighten pins. But I'm 51 and know any 80lb days are behind me.

LostArra

WKR
Plenty of guys pulling 60 that shouldn’t.

Plenty of guys pulling 70 that shouldn’t.

Plenty of guys pulling 80 that shouldn’t.

And plenty of guys that have no problem with 60, 70, 80.

I never understand the blanket shoulder comment. If I can pull 80 with less effort than you can pull 70, are you pulling too much?
Excellent point. There is no reason for big strong guys to not shoot heavier bows. That's like telling someone how much weight they should train with on a barbell. If you can properly squat 400# for reps why would you train with 100#?

I don't think there is a linear increase in absolute performance with heavy bows because of the efficiency of modern compounds. Regardless of draw weight, gravity always wins and every arrow follows a parabolic arc path.

As an old guy with shoulder problems, I think most shoulder problems don't occur from shooting a bow. It was sports, wrecks, falls and general foolishness at a younger age. All of those shoulder injuries accumulate and just make it harder to draw heavier bows when you get older. The cartilage is gone, ligaments and tendons are frayed but the bow didn't cause the problem. The bow just highlights all the stupid stuff you did when you were young.

Last edited:

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
I use to shoot a 74lbs PSE with a 540gr arrow, This last year the pin gap killed me on 3 different spot and stalk antelope setups. I drew the same tag and I am working through a 420gr setup.
I looked into a trajectory calculator and was seeing an estimated 23" of drop difference between a 540gr & a 430gr arrow. I'll take that all day long. I am really thinking of even stepping down to a 60lb bow.
I am not saying dont shoot an 80, but for me, I can BARELY get my 70lbs bow pulled back while leaning over in sage brush. I think if you can pull 80 COMFORTABLY.. do it! the benefits are there. when you get out to 60 or 70 yards with a 450gr arrow, arrows are close to 50" less drop than my 420gr setup.