80lbs Bows

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
#1 Incorrect. Read it again. I said bigger rifles have more potential for bigger meat damage. It's not always the case, which is why I made an effort to say things like "for the most part", "all things being equal", and "general rule of thumb".

#2 Bullet diameter, all things being equal, does have an impact on wound channel and damage. That's the point. If you were shooting FMJ in a .223rem and .300WM, the .300 would damage more tissue because the diameter is bigger. Are you trying to argue this isn't the case?

#3 It's also not just about bullet construction. It's also about the case capacity. Hence why a .300WM has more potential for meat/hide damage than a .308win.

In any case, the variability between bullet diameter, bullet construction, and case size, provides a much larger spectrum for tissue and bone damage, than my analogy about the same broadhead on the front of an arrow coming out of any bow.

#1 your rule of thumb is wrong and life is not equal. about the only equal you can get with a gun is a berger hybrid will kill similar no matter the caliber. will the 30 cal make a bigger hole the the 6mm? maybe. you wont be able to tell the difference in the field which was which. This is proven. There is a couple hundred pages of 223 for elk moose and bear with reams of valuable info. you should spend the time.

#2 will the 30 cal make a bigger hole the the 6mm? maybe. you wont be able to tell the difference in the field which was which. This is proven. There is a couple hundred pages of 223 for elk moose and bear with reams of valuable info. you should spend the time.

#3 More powder just makes the bullet go farther before you hit the minimum expansion velocity.

sndmn11

WKR
16 fps is significant on a 550 grain arrow considering most guys are at 450-480. There is a reason 3d guys try to be at an arrow weight that gets to 300fps. Not a draw weight that gets there.

The intent for sharing was to compare a more typical IBO rated bow, the Inline 5 at 80lb draw weight, versus a high IBO rated bow at 70lb. That turned out to be 9fps.

Similarly, comparing a 335IBO Reckoning at 70lb, against a speed bow in the Omnia at 60lb, that difference seemed to hold true. Arrow weights are 550gr, 454gr, 368gr.
Bowtech Reckoning "70.56lb 30.5"" Performance" 269fps, 287fps, 325fps
Elite Omnia "#1 (30"")" 61.14lb
261fps, 283fps, 315fps

I agree faster equals more margin for error in range estimation and that is magnified on a 3d target where cutting a line matters.

I think it would be a great experiment to compare 3d scores of bowhunters using lighter draw weight speed bows versus heavier draw weight 335fps/7" brace bows. Known and unknown distance. I also think it would be cool to see how those scores translate to dead animals with the two groups of bows on high kill hog hunt or similar.

I think it would be a great experiment to compare 3d scores of bowhunters using lighter draw weight speed bows versus heavier draw weight 335fps/7" brace bows. Known and unknown distance.

This is what I wanted to say when you posted the chart earlier, however I felt it was taking things too far out into the weeds....

Actually I was just too distracted making fun of turkeybowmaster.

sndmn11

WKR
This is what I wanted to say when you posted the chart earlier, however I felt it was taking things too far out into the weeds....

Actually I was just too distracted making fun of turkeybowmaster.

Plot twist....

That 80lb Prime is his. Bought specifically to have enough umph for his spring grouse hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think it would be a great experiment to compare 3d scores of bowhunters using lighter draw weight speed bows versus heavier draw weight 335fps/7" brace bows.
And here I've always thought that 335fps WAS a speed bow. I've won several tournaments shooting my old 316 IBO 8"+ BH bow at 70lbs.

sndmn11

WKR
And here I've always thought that 335fps WAS a speed bow. I've won several tournaments shooting my old 316 IBO 8"+ BH bow at 70lbs.
Aren't you banging out like 32" draw length though?

We need to get you an 80lb Omen and see if we can melt fletching due to air friction.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Plot twist....

That 80lb Prime is his. Bought specifically to have enough umph for his spring grouse hunt.

That so cute yall have his and hers bows. Is yours the eva shocky edition?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I got the play by play as it was taking place and there's a strong possibility that just like when he shoots a full mag of magnums at deer, a whole quiver may have been loosed. Plot twist #2, this time the animal was recovered.
I like to shoot my deer twice, my elk 3 times, and even my turkeys twice. Twice the shots, twice the fun!