A Few Days In The Rockies

Day 2 I found myself snowshoeing further up the Ranger Creek drainage enjoying the cool weather and great scenery. I was able to make it the 9 or 10 km to the Banff Park boundary, at this point I was boxed in a canyon and had to return the same way that I had come.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 101
On day 3 I was starting to get concerned about getting out with the amount of snow that was falling so I decided to pack up and head out. The first km took well over an hour in the deep powder. I had never had to work so hard to pull a sled down hill. Lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 137
After 4 or 5 hours of slugging it out in the deep snow I finally made it to the Ram River drainage and was happy to see that the trapper from the area had made a trip in and out on his snowmobile. Now I had a trail to walk on and was able to get back down to my truck by dark.
It sucked to see that the road had not been plowed but perseverance prevailed and after 3 1/2 hours of digging, backing up and taking runs at the hills I was able to make it the 6km out to the plowed road.
All in all it was a great trip and I can't wait to do it again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 100
It was a great trip, both nights in the BCS were comfortable. The first night was around -15C and the second night was in the low -20s. The titanium collapsible wood stove made a huge difference. I kept kindling beside the stove so when I woke up in the morning I could light the fire without getting out of my bag. :)

That is a trip Jeremiah Johnson would be proud of! Thanks for sharing and you burned a few calories over those 3 days........cool stuff

Back