Active Fleece Mid Layer

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
What’s everyone using for a fleece mid layer? Would like something that I can use in September as an outer layer when it’s chilly and come October/November I can throw my sawtooth vest over it while hiking if need be. I tend to run pretty warm while moving about. Not loyal to any one brand or camo, heck it doesn’t even have to be camo.

If you don’t need camo, it’s hard to beat the ECWCS level 2 grid fleece for the money. Cheap and warm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
I hear ya on the surplus fleece, I’ve got one. And while they are good for the money.. Not a huge fan, don’t like how tight the forearm area is and it’s nit long enough for my torso, never stays tucked into pants.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Sitka's Core Heavyweight hoody as a mid-layer- it's very (very) similar to Patagonia's R1 hoody.

Of late what I like even better is Patagonia's Nano Air Light hoody- warmer for the weight than fleece and breathes just as well, possibly even better. In their infinite wisdom, they've since discontinued the piece, but you can find them occasionally on eBay and on their own used clothing site.

They do still make the Nano Air- it's a little more insulation and a little less breathable, but my buddy has one and really likes it.

I’ve been using my FL Kalamath or whatever its called (replaced my halstead fleece) for a couple of years now. I have the hooded version and have really enjoyed using it. I would go a size up if I were to buy it again. Fits well over a single base layer, but if I double up its a little tight and defeats the purpose of layering.

I’m a big fan of the hood, its almost like its formed for my head and it works better if I have a hat on.

It does a decent job blocking the wind, but its used a mid level insulation piece. If I really need to block the wind I will put on a jacket of some sort.

I usually have this on when moving, with a vest over it (done in the later rifle seasons) and it hasn’t been too bad. If I can manage my sweat I will usually stay fairly warm throughout the day with it on.

Clarence

WKR
I use a Patagonia r1, and a kuiu strong fleece 260. The r1 breaths a little better, but really digging the design of the strong fleece. Stops wind decent, dwr treated, breathable panels in the back and sides, and the only pocket on a hoody I have found useful. It is quite warm for some hunts, but dries quickly. Faster than the r1 for sure.Used it for 3rd season this year along though and was happy to have it. Might pick up the 200 1/4 zip for when weather is milder. My .02

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
P

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the Klamath but it doesn’t look much different from those surplus jobies. Is the cut any different? Also I did take a look at the kuiu 200 and the 210, I’m assuming the strong fleece is less breathable than the peloton? How about that 97 peloton? After checking Sitka’s website they seem to have a few that look to be pretty similar? I could be wrong, but what’s the difference between the core heavyweight/mid weight and the traverse zip t?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the Peloton 97 (top and bottom) for a “summer” mid layer and to sleep in. I’ll sometimes use them as base layers in cold conditions.

I think they would work fine early season as a mid-layer, the breathe and dry well. Not a ton of insulating value though as they are really (really) light.

Strongfleece 210, I wear it all seasons. The zipper allows for venting if needed and It’s warm enough for active late season hunts. It’s all the outer layer you need for early season, but you’ll need more layers if you are sitting still in the cold.

For myself:
Active = klamath
Sitting = swazi hood

Haven't tried the surplus grid fleece to compare it to but I really like the cut of the klamath, especially the hood as mentioned...lots of stretch to the fabric. Some people complain about the arm length, not an issue for me though and I don't have gorilla arms or anything.

I languished in midlayer hell for a long time. I've realized that a man needs two regular boring fleece pullovers. One in 100g for early season and one in 225g for late. I'm partial to the North Face TKA Glacier for the 100 and the Mountain Hardware Macrochill for the 225. I've had several grid fleece pieces but didn't see the benefit, especially for the added cost.

sram9102

WKR
I really like the Condor grid fleece. If it had a hood I would have one of every color. Just be sure to order a few sizes bigger that what you normally wear. It runs SMALL.

OP
P

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
I languished in midlayer hell for a long time. I've realized that a man needs two regular boring fleece pullovers. One in 100g for early season and one in 225g for late. I'm partial to the North Face TKA Glacier for the 100 and the Mountain Hardware Macrochill for the 225. I've had several grid fleece pieces but didn't see the benefit, especially for the added cost.
I’m right there with you, I normally just run a plain old lightweight fleece that I picked up from cabelas years ago all year. Just seems that if it gets wet it takes a good while to dry. I guess I’m looking for options that breath well and dry fairly quick.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the grid in the fleece (of varying fabric weight, helps the transfer of moisture over “regular” fleece

if you’re still hunting, moving stealthy and slower, probably not a huge advantage grid vs “regular”, but climbing getting to an area, hauling meat, anything you start working up a sweat, the grid starts outperforming

then there is the “fleece killer” I mentioned above :)

https://bedrockandparadox.com/2017/09/22/patagonia-nano-air-light-hoody-the-fleece-killer/

ElMuercielago

Lil-Rokslider
the grid in the fleece (of varying fabric weight, helps the transfer of moisture over “regular” fleece

if you’re still hunting, moving stealthy and slower, probably not a huge advantage grid vs “regular”, but climbing getting to an area, hauling meat, anything you start working up a sweat, the grid starts outperforming

then there is the “fleece killer” I mentioned above :)

https://bedrockandparadox.com/2017/09/22/patagonia-nano-air-light-hoody-the-fleece-killer/
Love the Patagucci Nano-Air pants and jacket.

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Eddie Bauer High Route Grid Fleece - it's basically an affordable Patagonia R1. It's one of their technical line items and it's awesome. EB runs really good sales this time of year, and I just picked up another one of these for $40. It's a grid fleece with a smooth outer. It breaths really well and keeps me really warm for the weight. I freak'n love this thing.

You can get it with a hood or without, they make it in 1/2 zip or full zip too, and they have regular and tall sizes. It comes in some loud colors, but they also offer a sage green called "sprig" and a medium grey. I've got the sprig one and it's really similar in color to the ECWCS GEN III fleece jacket in foliage green.

For $40 it's hard to beat.

jfs82

WKR
Peloton 97, 240 though I basically always wear the 240 as an outer layer I have worn it under a rain jacket to cut wind.