Adventures with Fatcamp 2022

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
20221111_164149.jpg

Quick trip to our hunt area to figure out travel time showed us some does and not much else. Worst time of the day to look for deer so not worried. Camping in a state park and have the place to ourselves other than a herd of deer ruled by a majestic fork horn.

He is very intense with the ladies. We are right at the beginning of the rut.

Dog seems to know we are hunting because there are a dozen deer 100 yards from our site and this is all he has done. Hasn't made a peep, and this is a dog that barks at horses on TV. Heck, he will bark at a picture of a dog on TV and not a sound today. LOL

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Brisk 6° morning. Light winds so not bad.

No deer at our first spot which was spot D, and where I killed a buck 3 years ago. Lots of people.

Heading off to where the Mrs. killed a deer two years ago.

This is not a high density area. We are used to working for our bucks, but always nerve racking to not see deer. Oh well, keep on trucking. 😁

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Rough day. Cold. No luck finding deer on public and the one chance we had at a decent buck I managed to screw up. Came close to getting fired I think.

It is so dry. Unreal. Saw more coyotes than deer on public land by like 3x. On the way back we talked about taking next year off from deer hunting and just laying waste to coyotes in the three area we hunt. Sounds like a nice idea to me.

This area is never easy but this year seems different. Heard very few shots and the game warden we visited with said he hadn't seen much harvested. We enjoy it though as it is rough country with lots to see. Wife spends equal time looking for rocks. 😆

20221112_122757.jpg

She found a shed and another nice ammonite today as well.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
I forgot to add that when we pulled up to our second spot there was a guy with a kid cleaning a deer so I walked out and helped him drag it back. It was the 12 year olds first deer so kind of cool to be a part of it, and the guy was pretty thankful to have a hand. Turns out he is an RN as well, what are the odds.

It was a good day. We are beat.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Better spot this morning and mid teens. Apparently it was 4° when we got back to the truck yesterday morning after a 3.8 mile walk.

Ya, it was pretty cold.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Well, that spot had no deer. Could glass miles of public and not so much as a doe. Did find some deer on another piece of public miles away. Not sure what they are but at least one buck in the group.

Did relocate some fossils we found years ago. These are big turtles weathering out of the soil. It's been dry and the cattle have been stomping on them. The first year we found them it had been wet and they were really obvious.

20221113_084023.jpg20221113_083955.jpg

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Last night was a bust. Once again, my assertion that Angus cows are possibly the stupidest animals the good Lord put on this planet was provided with additional data.

We went back this morning to where I spotted the big buck yesterday and found him right away. Made a big loop and she spotted this buck and wanted to make a play for it. I would have debated it if I had know it wasn't the one we were after, but her tag her choice.

20221114_081615.jpg

Still has that dang duct tape on her stock. SMH ☹️

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Congrats to both you and her! Hope you find yourself one now.

We are home now. Undecided as to whether we go back.

It's her best deer, we got home sage, and had a really nice time together. Success whether I tag a deer or not for sure.

go_deep

WKR
We are home now. Undecided as to whether we go back.

It's her best deer, we got home sage, and had a really nice time together. Success whether I tag a deer or not for sure.
Congrats to her!
Go giver heck for another day or two, otherwise you'll regret the day after season.