Advice and guidance: 1 rifle and caliber

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
I could use some thoughts from some folks outside my usual circles. I'm looking to pick up a high utility rifle to do the lion's share of most of my hunting. I'll layout the parameters of what I currently am looking as benchmarks, all things considered, and welcome anything I may be overlooking.

Quick about me, competent shooter and hunter. I'm not a long range nut, but I am competent within my set range and kill cleanly within my boundaries. I'm a Midwest deer hunter, whom is starting to travel hunt and have a few hunts under my belt and looking to do alot more out west and in mountains. Recently completed an archery pronghorn hunt (successful), did an Alaskan caribou hunt last year (successful), and heading to Kodiak in search of Blacktail next October and will do a destination hunt at least annually.

●My effective range, no more than 500 yards.
●I want a bolt action, preferably a short action non magnum.
●Under/or at 6 lb rifle.
●synthetic stock/ stainless preferred
●I am not recoil sensitive
●I wish to cleanly take game with new rifle from antelope to potentially elk (I do own a 7mm Mag for bigger game)
●I'd like to have a variety of bullet choices as well as commercially produced ammo options
●my budget is about $1K, I plan on spending as much on quality glass for the new rig.

Appreciate any help/Advice

My 2016 Pope and Young whitetail, for attention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
View attachment 124782

Man, my bullets points for my mountain rifle were pretty much identical to yours. I bought a Barrett Fieldcraft in 30-06 and am very happy I did. BUT, they're a little north of $1K. I think I paid about $1450.

The other finalists for me were Tikka T3X and Browning X-bolt.

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at those, but really don't want to spend just that much and wish to stay away from a long action. I'd just hunt with my 7mm Mag and swap out the stock to a synthetic if I were to pick up a 30.06.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said short action

You said preferably a short action. A 7mm/08 will check all your boxes. A Tikka is the most value rifle but you don't gain anything there limiting yourself to a short action. I agree with 30/06 add bullets be content

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Well when you said you did NOT want a magnum, you threw out what I was thinking (300wsm)as I read this.
Next you threw out my next choice (280ai) with wanting a short action.

Under $1K puts you in a Tikka T3x superlite. Choice of caliber????? Maybe the 6.5PRC???? (they may not offer the prc in that)

One of my favorite calibers is the 7mm-08. The little gun that still does it all. Big enough for up to Elk (I'd choose the 7 mag or 300 over this choice myself) and not too big for the smallest of the deer/goat families.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your going full custom 6.5 PRC but you'll need to open your wallet a lot more

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
You said preferably a short action. A 7mm/08 will check all your boxes. A Tikka is the most value rifle but you don't gain anything there limiting yourself to a short action. I agree with 30/06 add bullets be content

Fair enough, i suppose i did say preferably.

EastMT

WKR
Browning Hells Canyon 308 or WSM. Light, nice, shoots great. Well Under 1000 if you are patient.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fair enough, i suppose i did say preferably.

Just a reminder all Tikka short action caliber are built on a long action with a bolt limiter. You truly gain nothing limiting yourself to a short action in a Tikka

ID_Matt

WKR
I said short action

A tikka long action might as well be a short action... only thing different is the bolt stop. I wouldn't think you'd notice much difference from a standard Remington or sorts S/A and a tikka L/A

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Just a reminder all Tikka short action caliber are built on a long action with a bolt limiter. You truly gain nothing limiting yourself to a short action in a Tikka

Ok, now this is something I was completely unaware of. Thank you!

Really gonna have a hard time getting under or right at 6# for <$1K unless you look at used. (ie. Kimber)
Most of the offerings in Browning and such are gonna be around 6.5# at the least. Even the Tikka.

jhm2023

WKR
I think one of the short action Barrett Fieldcrafts check all of your blocks except the price. Perhaps go with the 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm-08. A good bit of factory ammo ( 68 different types of 6.5 CM and 31 types of 7mm-08 on midway) and bullet choices if you reload (106 different .264 bullets and 110 .284 bullets listed on midway. Tikka could fit your needs as well but they're not an actual short action so kind of defeat the point IMO. My vote goes to a Fieldcraft in 6.5CM (21" or 22" barrel variety) if the price cap isn't set in stone.

OP
soggybtmboys

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Price cap isn't set in stone, I just wanted to keep away from guys throwing rifles my way that are well beyond what I'm willing to spend.

I have about 40 guns and one of my favorites is a bare-bones Savage wtih 4-12x40 Leupold VXII... it's in 25-06 but I've got at least a dozen big game tags filled with it out to 400 yds and shoots like a damned laser.

I'm pretty sure they have a few calibers that'd be of interest to you and the new lightweight storm is a slick looking rifle under 6# and I wager could be had for $700. I've had friends get pissed that their custom $3k setup won't spin a bullet like my $800 setup. A good chance I buy one in CM now that I think about it!

I have about 40 guns and one of my favorites is a bare-bones Savage wtih 4-12x40 Leupold VXII... it's in 25-06 but I've got at least a dozen big game tags filled with it out to 400 yds and shoots like a damned laser.

I'm pretty sure they have a few calibers that'd be of interest to you and the new lightweight storm is a slick looking rifle under 6# and I wager could be had for $700. I've had friends get pissed that their custom $3k setup won't spin a bullet like my $800 setup. A good chance I buy one in CM now that I think about it!

Just checked gunbroker - looks like $650ish all day on one of these. I'll be buying one after getting back from the hunt since I've convinced myself looking for you!