Advice: Outfitter Frequents Drainage

Poser

WKR
I'd just hunt another drainage.
Hunting a area where a outfitter is operating is by past experiences a frustrating hunt,the outfitter will likely know every nook and cranny in the area that holds Elk and will have most likely already gone through the best spots before or while you're there.

Agreed. I’m kind of surprised by all of the responses about trying to work the outfitter over because any guide worth his salt is going to work the area with a level of intimacy that GE scouting could in no way prepare you for. Think about it: a guide hunts an area every day for 4-6 straight weeks, every year for 5 years straight. You’re trying to compete with a guy who has 150-200 days hunting an immediate area and you’re just going to show up and “work” his pressure. Maybe some folks are awesome elk hunters who scout on GE and just show up and work over a guide with 200 days of experience in the immediate area, but, I’d take my odds elsewhere. If I’m going to “work” someone’s pressure, I like the odds of me vs. 2 overweight, rookie Texans. An experienced guide? Not so much.

If your job we’re to turn up elk day in and day out for an entire season and you had been doing that for a number of years, especially in the same location, don’t you think you’d be exponentially better at doing that than the average hunter who hunts 7-10 days a season? I’d sure think so. Obviously your client pool leaves something to be desired in terms of talent and ability, but like I posted earlier, it’s the knowledge of the guide, not the skill of the average client that would concern me about competing with an outfitter. Move on.

OP
Bugle

Bugle

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. I’m kind of surprised by all of the responses about trying to work the outfitter over because any guide worth his salt is going to work the area with a level of intimacy that GE scouting could in no way prepare you for. Think about it: a guide hunts an area every day for 4-6 straight weeks, every year for 5 years straight. You’re trying to compete with a guy who has 150-200 days hunting an immediate area and you’re just going to show up and “work” his pressure. Maybe some folks are awesome elk hunters who scout on GE and just show up and work over a guide with 200 days of experience in the immediate area, but, I’d take my odds elsewhere. If I’m going to “work” someone’s pressure, I like the odds of me vs. 2 overweight, rookie Texans. An experienced guide? Not so much.

If your job we’re to turn up elk day in and day out for an entire season and you had been doing that for a number of years, especially in the same location, don’t you think you’d be exponentially better at doing that than the average hunter who hunts 7-10 days a season? I’d sure think so. Obviously your client pool leaves something to be desired in terms of talent and ability, but like I posted earlier, it’s the knowledge of the guide, not the skill of the average client that would concern me about competing with an outfitter. Move on.
As a (not overweight) Texan, I take offense. Kidding.
I definitely understand your POV, and it's the reason I am asking. The question is: is one outfitter camp enough to crowd a full drainage? I've never done this before, so I really don't have a good concept of the space. I think from your perspective, while I'm trying to find the elk, the guides will know where they are already - so any elk in the drainage they will find before I do.

gbflyer

WKR
Not sure how it works down below but here in AK a guide on a USFS Special Use Permit cannot displace a private citizen on their own. Joe the Plumber has priority. I’ve held the permits, have the T-shirt, etc.

Wrench

WKR
You're 7 miles deeeeeeep. Wor it as plan A and hunt your way back to the guys that know they can't handle 7 miles. You should be in a great position.

Try hunting it but have a plan to move somewhere if you have to.

I hunt an area that I know very well where we've taken elk every year for many years. Last year an outfitter moved into the area (I think it's their plan b) and they were all over the place and spoiled several attempts for us (hike for 2 hours in the dark only to find these guys where I wanted to set up). I heard they are setting up in there this year. I'm not planning on being as polite about it this round--I'll go right past them. I don't have a lot of love lost for them in general and I don't think it will be profitable for them if locals on foot are hiking past their clients that paid $5k for a horse/camp hunt. For what it's worth, I found them hunting in very smart locations at the right time in very steep, difficult country. In fact, they were much harder competition than most hunters I encounter.

Btw, that country you think is too steep is where I would start, unless you are talking above-treeline scree. That's where the elk are or will be after 2 days into the season. Get your head right and it will help--hunting elk on public land is tough business and if you want to cut tags there is no such thing as too steep. I kill elk every year in county most think is too steep...

Ace1204

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a lot of e-scouting for my first elk trip to Colorado during 1st Rifle. I have an option A thru D, with strong preference (and time spent scouting) for option A. However, yesterday I started going through satellite image history & using Sentinel hub and saw that right in the middle of one of the clearings I have marked 4-outfitter tents pop up in September every year. I am assuming they will be there this year as well.

On one hand - this means I've picked a good drainage to hunt. On the other - I'm worried about being pushed out by the outfitters. The drainage is roughly 7-miles deep, steep and heavily timbered (GMU 82 in the Sangres). There are maybe 6-10 glass-able clearings. This being my first elk hunt, I'm not sure if I should just take the sunk-costs in scouting and move to options B+, or if 4 tents (maybe 2-3 hunters each?) is enough to overcrowd a drainage?

Any insight?
How did your hunt go In gmu 82 last year? I’m looking at it for my first Elk hunt this year.

Swede

WKR
If I had e scouted a unit and wanted to hunt there, I would not be dissuaded because some outfitter was there. I would not consider hunting as competition. He may have the advantage of knowing the area, but you can learn it too. Ultimately you and your dad are just hunting elk. Enjoy your hunt.

ahlgringo

WKR
I would put money that what you originally saw on GE was not an outfitter but an Amish camp. Know 82 pretty well and have lots of experience in there. I know this discussion morphed more into what would you do if it was an outfitter, but I bet this one is not. (not that it really matters, I would basically treat the situation the same).

Interested to hear how the hunt went.