AK gear gems?

Okay, all you guys hunting Alaska, what are your hidden gear gems? Not the basics like trekkers or sit pads. Something that maybe a little different but gold in the field. Let see what you all have!

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I hope this thread gets good traction! I brought some seal skinz (sp?) socks and they absolutely saved me. I walked through a beaver pond and sunk in up to my high thigh which allowed water to go down my gaiter and inside my boots. I put on those socks and walked my boots dry and my feet stayed dry. I have no idea how this black magic works but this was day 1 of the 11 days and I had heard they worked and I was glad I brought them!

AKDoc

WKR
After 36 years of Alaska hunting/remote adventures...
  • an inReach and Earthmate ap
  • 10x42 binocs
  • Helinox cot
  • WM Badger MF sleeping bag
  • a sleeping pad R-7 or higher
  • Katadyn base camp water filter (and an extra filter)
  • T.A.G. BAGS!!!
  • Hilleberg Staika tent (solo)...but if going lite, then a KUIU Mountain Star
  • Silky Gomboy saw
  • a couple of lite-weight tarps to collect rain drinking water and/or tenting the meat pole
  • MSR water bags
  • MSR Wind-burner stove
  • Peak Refuel meals
  • hiking poles
  • and so much more than I can list here!!!

Last edited:
OP
C
I have been eyeing the lightweight cots. Looks like I may have to pull the trigger on one.
I have had a pair of seal skinz for 25 years. A good gem right there.

kaboku68

WKR
Smoked Salmon strips
Freeze Dryer
Apocalypse Design Musher's hat
flagging tape
moth balls for camp and bears
a golf ball for feet
a non-odor antiperspirant for feet
Vortex socks- the best product that they make.
An ultralight bivy for my sleeping bag
power naps

OP
C
I will add one I used a few years ago. The Outdoor Vitals pillow makes an incredible sit pad. About a breath or two and it’s comfy.

I will add one I used a few years ago. The Outdoor Vitals pillow makes an incredible sit pad. About a breath or two and it’s comfy.

That's one thing I'm definitely going to bring next year. I've been using a drybag stuffed with extra clothes but I can get away with more weight so a designated pillow is definitely coming.

I purchased one of these last year. Reach the arm out of the fart sack and start the heater and put a couple breakfast burritos (wrapped in foil) on the cooking grate. Within 5 minutes the heat will force you out of your sack. By the time you're dressed, breakfast is ready. Turn off the heater and everything is cool within a couple minutes (and clean!) and it's safe to leave the tent. August is for hunting like a barbarian, September moose camp is essentially the closest thing to a luxury vacation I've ever taken!

Arcticmanak

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good things already listed. I'll add a couple:
NRS tie down straps. They are tough and I've found countless uses for them in camp. I keep a couple wrapped around my Kelty Cache Hauler pack frame for securing meat.
Leukotape is handy for preventing blisters, and can be used in various first aid applications.

Flagging tape. I've used it for marking my pack if I take it off to go and make a stalk (it's amazing how well a gray pack blends into the endless mountains of granite when above tree line), marking the exact place where I shot an animal, and then the subsequent blood trail (this worked out very well for finding my son's first moose kill that ran off through the dense woods for about 250-300 yards before expiring). I've also used it for marking poor/overgrown trails to help with finding my way back to camp in the dark.