AK moose: Float trip or Base camp. which do you prefer and why?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Yup agree with Vance in AK, contact Larry Bartlett at Pristine Ventures for sure. He can get you hooked up for sure. Just be aware buying a bush plane ticket for a moose out of the Alaska woods is not an inexpensive proposition. ;)

Hadn't considered that either Luke...thanks. I completed the form on Charlie's website and am awaiting the results. Also curious how weather impacts these hunts. Know a guy who booked a hunt 3 years in advance and the drought screwed his trip big time! Never saw or heard a single bull. How do ya mitigate that kinda disaster? Guess ya need a guide who is familiar with a variety of spots and able to switch things up as conditions dictate.

Beendare

WKR
I did a self guided float with three other guys. 160 river miles. 11 days. Great trip. I would do it again in a heart beat. Dropped off by Mag air out of Mcgrath. Barney is a great guy, great pilot. Our guide service, Willow air was horrible. They provided the rafts and picked us up. I would NEVER recommend them. Mean nasty hateful acting people that treated us like idiots. Mcgrath is where we flew out of. Great little town. I would go again, but hire Mag air for the drop off and pick up.

I would second the recommendation on Using Barney/Mag air if you are flying from Mcgrath- good guy

Lundman10

FNG
Booked 2015 hunt with renfros alaskan adventures. The references I talked to really had good hunts. If u r looking at hunting out of bethal both renfros and papa bear adventures are ur choices. My friend has floated with papa bear twice and has had very good trips. He was booked up for 2015 so we went with renfros.

Russp17

WKR
Booked 2015 hunt with renfros alaskan adventures. The references I talked to really had good hunts. If u r looking at hunting out of bethal both renfros and papa bear adventures are ur choices. My friend has floated with papa bear twice and has had very good trips. He was booked up for 2015 so we went with renfros.

Might see you out there. My dad and i are going to hunt with Renfros also.

Renfro's is currently at the top of my list for a drop camp in 2016. We are still looking and learning, so there is a chance that could change. For those who have booked and a have already hunted with them, what was the amount of the deposit to secure your trip? Has anybody landed on the ridge top and camped there with them? How was that?

Thanks,
Eddie

don't do it, Liv. He'll stick you on the Melozi with all of his other groups scattered about and you won't expect better than 25% success success at the very best. He's got a terrible reputation with the AST as well. It's a matter of time before he's off the grid completely, IMO. One year a buddy of mine checked 8 groups of his on one 60-mile stretch...only three moose had been harvested out of over 20 people.

Does anyone have any newer intel about Kent Kaiser from Alaskan Quest for a float moose/ caribou hunt?