Anchorage to Sleetmute flight

Djacker

WKR
Hi guys.

I'm wondering if anyone knows an air taxi/transporter that Flys from Anchorage to Sleetmute and back? The only service I've seen is Lake and Pen. Looking to fly 2 guys/gear and hopefully some moose meat. Time frame is Sept 2023. Thanks

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
You might try giving Dena'ina Air Taxi a call. They have a King Air that is capable of hauling everything for you in one trip. I have used them for transport in that area. They weren't the most flexible with adjusting pick-up dates though.

Last edited:

bairdi

FNG

Sound Aviation is an option as well. Bill flies a Cherokee 6 out of Merrill Field in Anchorage. Not the typical “bush plane”, but it can haul a decent load and it’s fast. I’m assuming he is still flying to Sleetmute regularly. When I was flying him regularly, the Anchorage-Sleetmute-Stony River-Georgetown-Crooked Creek route was his bread and butter flying year-round. He’s a one man/one plane show. If I remember correctly, he call haul 1,000 lbs (people plus gear). Have flown with him a fair bit, though the last time was 7-8 years ago. For a while, I was making 3-4 work trips to Sleetmute a year and he was the best option to do that with the least amount of hassle and cost. Depending on what my needs were, it was nice to have the option to just pay a seat fare if I didn’t have much gear traveling with me, or I could charter the whole plane if I needed to move a bunch of stuff to or from SLQ (Sleetmute). He was always great to work with as long as you remember this is not really regularly scheduled air service. Some flexibility is required due to weather and the Alaska bush travel factor. Another plus was that if I needed something from Anchorage ASAP, while I was in the Sleetmute area, he was usually making at least 3-4 flights a week between ANC and SLQ, so I’d get the needed item pretty quickly. His prices were very reasonable at the time as well.

Also, are you planning to be staying in Sleetmute at all? If you are, Hill’s Lodge was always good and pretty much the only option there. They were always helpful and willing to help out if needed, though if you’re not staying with them, they’ll probably charge a small fee to move stuff from the river to the airstrip or to provide secure storage for gear or logistical assistance. Once again, it’s been 7-8 years since I’ve been there but I still consider the owners as friends that I occasionally keep in touch with when we cross paths somewhere in AK. The owner’s are trying to retire, but these days it’s pretty hard to unload a business that includes a BnB, the village store, the village fuel/propane supplier, and includes delivering fuel to outlying villages, lodges, and smaller remote mines.

skullclnr

FNG
New here but Ill be flying to Sleetmute this fall. Catch a taxi to Lake and Penn Air(about $25 for taxi). Lake and Penn is a great outfit that does one or two flights a day into Sleetmute. They have a morning flight leaving at 9 am. They charge $1 per pound for any baggage over 50 lbs per person and a flat rate of $175 for moose racks.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
Alaska Air Transit is another option if Lake and Penn doesn't work out. Lake and Penn would likely be the best option though.

Lake and pen are great people. I spent 4 weeks flying from village to village for survey work with the old man who started the company. I believe his son runs it now. I wouldn't hesitate flying with them at all.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk