Another DIY Stove

colonel00

WKR
I just drew a circle around the pipe and then cut it out with scissors. It will conform to the pipe and you don't need to over engineer the rocket surgery.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
What did you guys use to get a clean hole for your pipe to come out of
Haha... Not sure if you are asking about cutting the hole in the stove body or jack.

The stove jack is best to trace around one of the stove pipe rings then cut "X" slightly larger than the outline of the stove pipe. The material stays in place and forms around the stove pipe to direct any water around the pipe instead of falling inside the tent.

For the stove body I like to trace around one of the stove pipe rings again and then drill a series of small holes just inside the the outline. Then use kitchen shears to "connect the hols and finish the cut out.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Notice how the cut out is a bit ragged - I used a pair of kitchen shears that where almost serrated and I think basic scissors work better.

Attachments

• stove pipe 1.jpg
    stove pipe 1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,084
  • stove pipe 2.jpg
    stove pipe 2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,076

Aries_Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
Great Thread, after freezing with an el cheapo stove in the Wisconsin N Woods in Jan...Im determined to build a better, and PACKABLE, stove before next winter. Tine is limited due to overseas deployment but ill get it done.

Great Resource Thread.

Aries_Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Chicago Screw Post idea for the Screw in Legs. Steel, Yes IMHO, is the best option. I use Chicago Screws in Kydex Making, so they are on hand.

Is anyone securing the posts in the pan lip? with something like JB Weld?

How is the body being notched, or hole punched for the screw posts? (It was stated before but photos have expired)

Any new revelations? TTP's?

Starting this project when im home from Afghan in June. Seems far easier than making a box stove from scratch, which was my original intent.

Last edited:
OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Westernsloper - using it as a shop project at school is a great idea. Post up some pics when you get it done I would like to see how it turns out.

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm very interested in doing this project, I just read through this whole thread lol. My question has to do with the stove pipe. I saw that the damper holds it up. But what seals the hole in the stove body? Does the foil heat up enough to seal? And for the pipe rings are you just using the 5 or so rings made out of that cable to hold it all or am I missing something?

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Also what is the diameter of the body? And how much overlap with the SS on the body did you leave? Did you trim any off or just leave it?

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
When you cut the hole for the stove pipe in the body just trace around one of the end rings and cut to the inside of the mark. Just make sure to trim a little at a time and it ends up being a snug fit. The end plates are 8.26" in diameter.

Chris Sloan

Lil-Rokslider
Getting ready to build one for my Para-Tipi i won on spacebook , big thank you to Kifaru and Muley Freak for the give-away !!! Was tinkering around w the idea of TIG welding clips on the front and back of the sides, ( could be riveted or screwed if no welder access) at 3 and 9 o clock and bend a upside down, square U out of ss stock, slide over the top and make a flat spot to warm up water or maybe sear a backstrap. It could be taken off and folded up flat for carrying and shouldnt add too much more weight. Anyone tried this or come up w a better way to cook on a round stove top?

Last edited:

Chris Sloan

Lil-Rokslider
Thats cool, that would be perfect when your not in a hurry, save on fuel if your waiting on dehydrated food instead of freeze dried.