Another DIY Stove

Anyone have pictures of their DIY stoves all packed up?

What are you carrying them in? I had seen a post on another site that used spray paint can caps to protect the edges while in the pack.

Any other thoughts? I suppose I could sew up a big envelope like pouch to hold everything, or just use ziplock bags for the small parts.

reaper

WKR
120cc7a5a606f99c3d7028447bc59df4.jpg

f4856921e9784fd37d69e980100f493f.jpg

a32e83c0cdca15950b5994d416106090.jpg

d204b6203ee7f038fb22de4cc700e578.jpg

You can use stuff sack or kifaru pullout(large green on my picture)

Thread revival.
Great effort on the stoves.
I'm looking at making one in Australia and trying to source materials.

Can anyone help with suitable thickness for stainless steel sheet for the stove body and for the flue/stove pipe

How have they held up to use?

Tbuckus

WKR
i have not been around any stainless yet thats magnetic... typically when material is in question, i put my magnet on it to check if its stainless

btw, very nice work on the stove

It's been a long time since I worked in a fabrication shop, but I think the 304 316 is non magnetic and the 400's are. We used to run a magnet over small scrap pieces if we couldn't find any marks on them.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
TiGoat sells the stainless steel stock in .004" thickness and the Titanium is .005". I think those are pretty standard and have been using my DIY stoves for a couple years now. Not sure if TiGoat ships international but you can try Lite Outdoors out of Canada too.

Pipe parts

Titanium Foil

Thread revival.
Great effort on the stoves.
I'm looking at making one in Australia and trying to source materials.

Can anyone help with suitable thickness for stainless steel sheet for the stove body and for the flue/stove pipe

How have they held up to use?

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
This feels like a dumb question...

bbrown- Do you have any idea if you buy the stock body cables from Ti Goat whether or not they work with the diameter of the stove burner covers? I'm not thinking I'll be able to get a crimping tool to make my own, but then I realized I really didn't want to order cables from them that wouldn't work with the stove burner covers. Thanks for any help.

Jeremy

TiGoat sells the stainless steel stock in .004" thickness and the Titanium is .005". I think those are pretty standard and have been using my DIY stoves for a couple years now. Not sure if TiGoat ships international but you can try Lite Outdoors out of Canada too.

Pipe parts

Titanium Foil

Thanks mate. I did find liteoutdoors site after posting. I hadn't realised they were in Canada which probably helps my exchange rate on piss weak Aussie pennies

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
This feels like a dumb question...

bbrown- Do you have any idea if you buy the stock body cables from Ti Goat whether or not they work with the diameter of the stove burner covers? I'm not thinking I'll be able to get a crimping tool to make my own, but then I realized I really didn't want to order cables from them that wouldn't work with the stove burner covers. Thanks for any help.

Jeremy

Not sure on the body rings sizing but you can buy the crimping tool from Home Depot for like $25-30 I think.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-18-in-Swaging-Tool-43834/205887557

or Amazon:
Apex Tool Group 7679038 Swaging Tool, 18" - - Amazon.com

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the links-I appreciate it. I'll have to do some more checking and see which is he better route to go and if I can make the pre-made ones work for the end caps. If not, at least now I know what to get to make my own :).

Jeremy

dog812

WKR
What holds the stove pipe from sliding right down into the stove body ? My wall tent stoves have a nesting collar. Does it just rest on the damper?
Also the only ss stock I have found (Canada) is 12" x 10' , I am thinking I could cut it down to 10" for the stove pipe.... Would that work?

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
The stove pipe rests on the damper rod which rests on the to 2 all-threads that hold the end plates. Look at some of my pictures st the beginning of the thread and it should hopefully make sense.

12" material works out great for 3" diameter stove pipe so I wouldn't bother with trying to trim it down. I think Kifaru and another one of the stove makers run 3" and 4" pipes without issues.

dog812

WKR
Sounds great. I figured that's where to stove pipe was sitting, just wanted to check.
I'll see what price o can get on that stock. I am sure it'll be terrible compared ha ha

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
That should work and plenty of length for the body and over a 7' pipe. If you order that I can take a picture of where to drill the holes in the stove pipe for the damper. I bought all my stove pipe from TiGoat and they predrilled these.

dog812

WKR
It was $70 cad. I ordered it. And ordered from ti goat.
6 x 3" rings, 1 end collars, and the diy damper + collar.
I have a lbo shelter (64" height), so I am thinking a 6' stove pipe on top of the stove will be plenty tall. Or is that too tall?

Last edited: