Another pack training thread

Takeem406

WKR
So before archery season I was training with about 45# in my pack doing three miles a couple times a week or more as work and life would allow.

Well I thought I was good until I had to pack my bear out two miles in the dark. I had the rug and two quarter in the Tenzing. For breaking my packing out virginity, it about killed me lol.

I seen Cameron Hanes using that 130# rock in his Tenzing. I think he's got something going, even if he thinks Luke Bryan is better than G Strait lol.

Does someone make weight plates that fit a pack better? Maybe instead of a round plate a rectangular plate?

Thinking about goin to to about 65# this next week, then 85 the week before my hunt. Thanks boys!

I use bags of lead shot off of a lead sled for sighting in rifles.. You can buy them at most hunting places or wally has them some times..

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Brute Force Gear sandbags. I picked up the kit with 2 bags. I can go from 30 to 100+ with the kit. My neighbors always wonder why I mow the lawn with a pack on. ;)

High quality, tough bags. Not cheap, but cheaper than a gym and tons of workouts you can do with sandbags

AZ Vince

WKR
I use shotbags filed with sand and sewn shut. If you go this route use a Ziplock bag to keep the sand from getting wet. :)

I bought a couple bags of pea gravel (~45lb each) from Home Depot for about $5 each and loaded them in a small canvas duffle bag.

I went to Home Depot and bought two sandbags ($3 each) and a roll of duck tape. Each weigh in around 60 lbs and are plenty durable.

Manosteel

WKR
Just get some cheap nylon stuff sacks from REI - medium or large- about $5. fill with sand, duck tape for shape and strength. But to be honest you need a different pack as all that will happen is that your training sessions will suck. You might get stronger but your body will pay for it.

WoodBow

WKR
If you have frame that you can put a cargo panel on you can strap anything to it. I trained with a duplex+cargo panel with an 80# bag of sakcrete plus 10# bumper plates. The sakcrete bags will fit in your pack because a buddy of mine had one in a kelty pack. Put the sack of sakrete in a trash bag and duct tape the whole thing. The first training ruck i ever did was with 45#s. Just one big half mile loop up a big hill and back down, over and over. I quickly realized that rucking is immensely boring solo. I decided i would rather carry more weight and get worn out quicker than carry less and go longer.

I ended up around 100 with water and all eventually. I disagree that it is detrimental to your body if done on pavement and you are walking not running. Real rucking off road will certainly take a toll on knees and ankles over time. Rucking is nothing more than walking/climbing with a lot of core stress/stabilization. I was shocked out how much core strength progess I made just from rucking. I was lifting pretty much every day and have a strong core to begin with but I would see improvements on core lifts that i had not been doing when i started focusing more on rucking.